BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Going off the Sheff Utd fan comments, which is a tiny sample, of course, it sounds like he's a James McClean type player.

Going off that comparison alone it's a huge no from me... James McClean is honest to God the last football player on this planet (currently playing) that I would want @Rovers.

But in all seriousness on Burke, to be fair their are many factors leaning "no" on this one: Wage, historical form (or lack of), dodgy social presence and potential attitude worries, other fan displeasure, fact SU want a fee.

-

Now SHOULD be the time to follow in the footsteps of previous success and go find the loan equivalents of Reece James, Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham, Tyrone Mings, Harvey Barnes, Connor Gallagher and Ben White. None will have been "cheap loans" but imagine if this current team added (a younger) Reece James, Harvey Barnes and Tammy Abraham to it now.

Hell, Rovers loaned out Jason Roberts back in the day, and he (basically) single handedly dragged Reading kicking and screaming to the Premiership behind him.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 2

Burke looks like another Gallacher to me. He hasn't been able to realise his potential at ANY of his many clubs, either as a permanent signing or loan. 

Played mainly as a wide man, Sheff U thought his best position was number 9, but as we saw last season, he missed most of his goal opportunities. 

Would be incredible if we bought Burke with the money we get for BBD. 

I think we've been tracking him for 2 years, since when he's struggled to get into a lower Championship team. 

5 hours ago, Ossydave said:

That's what sheff utd fans think of him....

As you say its brutal though, sometimes when an out of favour player is touted with a move away some fans exaggerate how shite they are but it's pretty unanimous....

Yeah Sheff Utd sorry, was reading the first few pages where Boro were interested in him. 

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

What would folks opinion be if we were to sign Chris Wood on a 2 year deal in January from our East Lancs neighbours?

For the chance to see their faces, yes but not sure his style would fit ours. He would be good as a plan B or the Danny Graham type for the imminent Bradley Dack return

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree. Although one thing in his favour is that he's actually made a fairly good number of appearances in most cases, even in top flight football. I suppose plenty of these are probably from the bench though. 

Many comments do say he is trier, gives it his all...just that he has no footballing brain, cannot cross, cannot shoot, and cannot pass. Can run fast though. 

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah Sheff Utd sorry, was reading the first few pages where Boro were interested in him. 

Regarding Boro's interest, surely the only person with Sheffield connections' opinion that matters in this would be the Boro's boss whose dealt with the player before. If Burke was as bad as many on here say surely the Boro boss wouldnt touch him with a barge pole?

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Regarding Boro's interest, surely the only person with Sheffield connections' opinion that matters in this would be the Boro's boss whose dealt with the player before. If Burke was as bad as many on here say surely the Boro boss wouldnt touch him with a barge pole?

That interest was when Warnock was there in the summer. 

• Backroom

Some of the 'reasons not to sign Burke' would apply to Dack imo and I'm glad he's returning soon. Cautiously optimistic.

If we sign Chris Wood (don't give a shiny shite he's a Dingle), that would be a genuinely stunning signing imo. He's everything I want Gally to be, and would be akin to Lambert's signing of Danny Graham for us imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Sorry I misunderstood.

Yeah, the thread on him starts from the summer when Boro were interested, so were we. It did say both clubs missed out and would revisit in January. Wilder is there now, doesnt look like they will be. 

16 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

What would folks opinion be if we were to sign Chris Wood on a 2 year deal in January from our East Lancs neighbours?

You know something will happen? This would not surprise me. For me Burke is a smokescreen.. Cant see Mowbray want Burke...

More that he may go for a hardworking Wood.

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Many comments do say he is trier, gives it his all...just that he has no footballing brain, cannot cross, cannot shoot, and cannot pass. Can run fast though. 

Looking at some of those comments we could be easily be talking about Josh King in his first few years here, but the thing that worries me the most is his age. Nothing wrong with being a very rough diamond in your early 20s, and raw pace and power would suit us down to a tee. 24 though, for a forward, is a little late to be needing to improve so much, and whilst I'm certain confidence is a factor, I think we're probably being too hopeful to think that a couple of goals and we'll suddenly have that £15 million player on our hands.

Let's wait and see, but I hope if it goes ahead it's for the sort of financial outlay that doesn't really hurt us if it doesn't work out.

Assuming that we're just throwing names around with Chris Wood, and there's no chance that it will actually happen, but personally I'd be against. He's obviously easily good enough for a top-end Championship team, and I'm not really bothered that he's a Burnley player, but the one thing that he lacks is pace and agility. I know we're a bit more direct now, but so much of what we're good at relies on our forwards having pace to burn and hit teams on the counter attack, and there's no way we would sign a player on prem wages like him to be plan B off the bench. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen

34 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Assuming that we're just throwing names around with Chris Wood, and there's no chance that it will actually happen, but personally I'd be against. He's obviously easily good enough for a top-end Championship team, and I'm not really bothered that he's a Burnley player, but the one thing that he lacks is page and agility. I know we're a bit more direct now, but so much of what we're good at relies on our forwards having pace to burn and hit teams on the counter attack, and there's no way we would sign a player on prem wages like him to be plan B off the bench. 

If we need to go the ale house football route we could bring Ayala on and put the Flying Dutchman up front. He’ll put himself about !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Might as well stick Nyambe up there. He at least could defend from the front!

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

It isn’t Chris Wilder that was interested, it was Warnock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

For the chance to see their faces, yes but not sure his style would fit ours. He would be good as a plan B or the Danny Graham type for the imminent Bradley Dack return

I really don't hope we change style just to optimize Dack's output. Finally found a system where the whole is stronger than the parts. It's better to wait untill Dack is fit enough to play the system. I also think Dack is more than collecting knockdowns from a target man. He was roaming midfielder in his Gillingham days, so should be able to play the Buckley role when fit enough.

• Like 1