BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

I think the reality of this situation is that it's happened way too late in the window for us to get a deal done for another quality player. As we've experienced so many times at the final stages of previous windows, they always slip through the net. January makes it even harder because they need to replace them for the remainder of the season. Even though I'm one of Joe's biggest admirers, I want him gone now. I can foresee us wasting time on Dembele, ultimately see us lose him to another club and have no time to get another deal done. 

1 minute ago, Neal said:

I think the reality of this situation is that it's happened way too late in the window for us to get a deal done for another quality player. As we've experienced so many times at the final stages of previous windows, they always slip through the net. January makes it even harder because they need to replace them for the remainder of the season. Even though I'm one of Joe's biggest admirers, I want him gone now. I can foresee us wasting time on Dembele, ultimately see us lose him to another club and have no time to get another deal done. 

We simply cannot allow that to happen tomorrow. Surely Rothwell only leaves IF we get a decent replacement over the line. Like you though, nothing would surprise me under this administration.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

While this transfer would be life-changing for Rothwell, getting promoted could well be life-changing for many/most of our other players. In their shoes I can’t imagine being well-disposed to Rothwell putting that at risk.

Surely it would be infinitely more risky letting him go and not adequately replacing him?

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

Why do you want him gone if you don't think (and I agree) there's time to get a decent replacement in?

Do we at least all agree it would be an unmitigated disaster if Rothwell were allowed to leave and wasn't replaced? (Regardless of the reason).

13 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Rothwell is obviously a player who likes to run his contract down - he has form for it after all. Tony, devious fecker that he is,  waits for Joe to say he wants to talk to other clubs and then takes that chance to throw him under the bus. Genius!  

That's exactly what's happened isn't it?

The owners don't want to sell, Mowbray does and he's trying to ease him out of the door by manipulating opinion against him.

We all know Rothwell hasn't signed a new deal, it's no secret. However despite that the Club stance all January has firmly (and correctly imo) been no-one is leaving.

That's how it should stay. We shouldn't perform a U turn with 36-48 hours left of the window.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

We are on the verge of signing Hedges in not dissimilar circumstances to Rothwell potentially leaving us. Both appear to have had their heads turned by the promise of more money and a new contract. I know Rothwell has actually asked for a move but keeping him against his wishes will be folly for me. Mowbrays subdued interview yesterday told me he is planning for a future without Rothwell and I agree with that. Whether it derails our season remains to be seen but I don't think we should dwell on it and hopefully the players and management won't too.

It's football and we could be in exactly the same situation next January as more important players contracts enter their final six months.

It is the usual, no player is bigger than the club here. It is amazing how these things sometimes turn out and imagine Brentford going down, this season, or next and Rovers ending up in the prem.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel we supporters are being played somewhat in this unfolding situation.

Mowbray's comments earlier in the week - that we had supposedly rejected bids of double what Bournemouth were offering and that we wouldn't be selling - I thought were quite strange at the time. Unusually clear and robust from Mowbray when in times gone by he will say that players won't leave unless their valuation is met and won't deal with specifics.

Then a couple of days later for this to happen suggests to me that Mowbray knew what was coming and was getting his/the clubs position out there in public first before things kicked off. 

So then when Rothwell is left at home it seems the manager and club have had no choice, the responsibility lies entirely with the player, the club and manager have seemingly done all they can by rejecting the bids but the player/agent are causing the issues by wanting to talk to clubs.

And it is working - a quick scroll through twitter this morning and most of the talk is about sell and replace, get rid, don't need a bad apple in the camp etc. etc. This is I think exactly what the club want - anger of the supporters directed away from them and towards the player/agent who will soon be off elsewhere one way or the other.

That might be fine with the majority but for me I see the bigger picture. I see a club that has allowed this situation to develop by neglecting contracts for so long and squandering funds on wasteful deals and is now in a weak position with valuable players - not just Rothwell - and remember we've probably been quite lucky this window that the only serious interest seems to be in Rothwell and not the 4-5 others who will be off soon.

And I'm not falling for the talk of reinvesting the money and replacing Rothwell this window - I have no faith that will happen both because we didn't reinvest any of the Armstrong cash in the summer and because I don't think they are capable of rushing deals through in 48 hours. Expect more talk of players lined up ready to sign but not enough time to get them done and we go with what we have.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I usually agree with you but completely disagree on this 

The owners were imo 100% correct to stipulate that no-one would be leaving this window and that shouldn't change just because there's been some last minute interest in Rothwell. In fact especially since it's so last minute.

They should be presenting a United front on this, and Mowbray shouldn't be undermining the message.

All that crap about he only ever moved twice during his career etc etc. If say Everton rang this morning and offered him 6x his salary to take over there he'd WANT to be in situ by Monday. However if the owners said "sorry mate you've got a vital job to do here for 4 months first" he'd have to suck it up and take it.

You and seemingly the bloody owners are taking none of the following in to accounts;

1. The fee offered and whether it is a good offer for a player with 4 months left on his contract.
2. Rothwell’s thoughts and whether he will continue to perform if he stays with the club.

3. The player(s) lined up as his replacement 

4. The dressing room and how they feel about him coming back into the fold after all this. 

The best person to make all of those judgements is the manager, and perhaps Waggot. Not the owners and not their pet, Suhail. 

You might not like Mowbray, but he’s there to make decisions about the squad of players. The owners are stupid if they don’t listen to their self appointed manager.  Unless of course they’ve decided he won’t be there past June. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

The owners meddling in team affairs, who would have thought it.......

Let the bloody manager manage, he's doing pretty well so far you morons. 

Hang on...... you've previously said, in fact only last night, no-one should be allowed to leave!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rigger said:

If he plays good enough to earn a place, I would have no problem with Joe playing. Loyalty to a club is a long gone traite. If he is in our winning side at Swansea next week, I will cheer him. At least if he scores, he will not have to go through the kissing of the badge routine.

Very few players will love the club, they way a fan does.

• Like 1

If Mowbray genuinely believes he can improve our team this window with the money he should go.

Otherwise not. I think it would take an exception lowlife to not be commited once the window shuts 

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hang on...... you've previously said, in fact only last night, no-one should be allowed to leave!

That decision is the managers to make not the bloody owners.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's exactly what's happened isn't it?

The owners don't want to sell, Mowbray does and he's trying to ease him out of the door by manipulating opinion against him.

We all know Rothwell hasn't signed a new deal, it's no secret. However despite that the Club stance all January has firmly (and correctly imo) been no-one is leaving.

That's how it should stay. We shouldn't perform a U turn with 36-48 hours left of the window.

Obviously. They can’t very well release a statement saying “available to the highest bidder”.  Every player has his price, end of discussion. If a club has met Rothwell’s price, we should sell, or at the very least consider the offer and the further options to strengthen the squad.  Stubbornly sticking your fingers in your ears is something the owners have done for years, and it’s not very often resulted in the best course of action for the club. 

• Like 1

i think this forum would have gone into melt down if they had given him a long contract last season on the displays of the previous seasons is it a coincidence he has his best season when his contract is coming to an end, been there before with other players.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

You and seemingly the bloody owners are taking none of the following in to accounts;

1. The fee offered and whether it is a good offer for a player with 4 months left on his contract.
2. Rothwell’s thoughts and whether he will continue to perform if he stays with the club.

3. The player(s) lined up as his replacement 

4. The dressing room and how they feel about him coming back into the fold after all this. 

The best person to make all of those judgements is the manager, and perhaps Waggot. Not the owners and not their pet, Suhail. 

You might not like Mowbray, but he’s there to make decisions about the squad of players. The owners are stupid if they don’t listen to their self appointed manager.  Unless of course they’ve decided he won’t be there past June. 

People need to get real about what the other players think of Rothwell. It's a job to them, they'd think he was bloody crackers if he didn't ask to speak to another Club that was offering 6x his salary. If nothing came of it they wouldn't take it as a personal sleight he was leaving them in the lurch - it's business for them.

Why would we have any replacements lined up? We've been proceeding on the basis for 28 days of the window no-one will be allowed to leave (allegedly).

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If Mowbray genuinely believes he can improve our team this window with the money he should go.

Otherwise not. I think it would take an exception lowlife to not be commited once the window shuts 

Don't want him "believing" he can improve the team. 

Replacements need to be secured before he leaves.

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

That decision is the managers to make not the bloody owners.

Ah. So you've been adamant all window that no-one should be allowed to leave.

Buy now because the owners share your previously held view and Mowbray seemingly doesn't you've performed a complete 180.

OK.

5 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

i think this forum would have gone into melt down if they had given him a long contract last season on the displays of the previous seasons is it a coincidence he has his best season when his contract is coming to an end, been there before with other players.

Is it a coincidence our attacking players are having their best seasons when they are being played in their correct positions? If we had Arma up front and Brereton on the wing do you think Barcelona and Co would be being linked?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Obviously. They can’t very well release a statement saying “available to the highest bidder”.  Every player has his price, end of discussion. If a club has met Rothwell’s price, we should sell, or at the very least consider the offer and the further options to strengthen the squad.  Stubbornly sticking your fingers in your ears is something the owners have done for years, and it’s not very often resulted in the best course of action for the club. 

It's 48 hrs before the end of the window! 

What might have been acceptable in the first week of January isn't now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why do you want him gone if you don't think (and I agree) there's time to get a decent replacement in?

Do we at least all agree it would be an unmitigated disaster if Rothwell were allowed to leave and wasn't replaced? (Regardless of the reason).

I want him gone if we can find an adequate replacement. Unfortunately the I think we're going to be stuck with the least ideal scenario of having a player that doesn't want to be here. There's no great outcome from all of this, we lose arguably our best player which derails our season or we keep a player that upsets the dressing room,  which derails our season. 

The best worst case scenario is that we get a deal agreed for someone of quality today, if we leave it till tomorrow I highly doubt anything will happen. Today is make or break in my view. Hopefully Dembele see's us as an attractive proposition.