BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

Just now, glen9mullan said:

Not sure where all this pressure talk is coming from, they are in 3rd and 2nd if they win their game in hand.

Its not their first season back in the championship  i understand the frustration because they bid for Rothwell, but to write them off is ludicrous 

I think most of it is wishful thinking.

If we manage to stay in the automatics with Brereton’s goals being the main thing keeping us there then Mowbray and Brereton both deserve a move to Barcelona.

It’s some ask. We’re now hoping for someone like Hedges, who has scored about 30 odd goals throughout his career to step up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

Not sure where all this pressure talk is coming from, they are in 3rd and 2nd if they win their game in hand.

Its not their first season back in the championship  i understand the frustration because they bid for Rothwell, but to write them off is ludicrous 

I'm not writing them off, far from it, and on paper they should get second. But it is up for grabs and we are in the driving seat.

But if strength on paper was anything to go by they would be clear of us after 28 games not behind us.

People were raving about their squad in August and we've outperformed them so far. 

Their business in January is impressive but now they have to do the hard part and get them performing as a team - easier said than done.

You don't spend that sort of money in January if you aren't under pressure and if they don't go up their parachute money drops. They won't be in financial trouble because their owner will prop them up but they know this is their best chance.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Bournemouth have shit themselves IMO, don't forget you can only play eleven!

If I was to have a punt on Rovers or Bournemouth for second, with 'our togetherness' and players returning from injury, I'd back us all day long over and above a bunch of maverick mercenaries managed by Scott Parker.

Wishful thinking.

I think we would all swap their signings for ours. They also have cover in case of injuries while our squad is still very thin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sooner or later, some of our key players are going to get injured or suspended and we just don't have the back-up to replace them

Those criticising Parker are missing the point; Bournemouth have so many good players they will go up regardless

We'll see in the fullness of time, just as they did at Dean Court a few weeks ago when Van Hecke's header nearly burst the net!

I'm confident and relatively happy with our window....would've like a couple more in key positions but am realistic.

I think we'll do it come May, despite all!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, booth said:

It’s some ask. We’re now hoping for someone like Hedges, who has scored about 30 odd goals throughout his career to step up.

Yep. We need to hope Brereton comes back from international duty as Diaz and that he doesn’t get injured for any spell, because I really can’t see where consistent goals are coming from otherwise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Its not their first season back in the championship  i understand the frustration because they bid for Rothwell, but to write them off is ludicrous.

Not a dig but I thought you expected a couple if incomings regardless of whether Rothwell stayed?

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I'm not writing them off, far from it, and on paper they should get second. But it is up for grabs and we are in the driving seat.

But if strength on paper was anything to go by they would be clear of us after 28 games not behind us.

People were raving about their squad in August and we've outperformed them so far. 

Their business in January is impressive but now they have to do the hard part and get them performing as a team - easier said than done.

You don't spend that sort of money in January if you aren't under pressure and if they don't go up their parachute money drops. They won't be in financial trouble because their owner will prop them up but they know this is their best chance.

You don't have to be a one-eyed Rovers fan to see that we've outperformed all expectations this season

Are we in a false position given our resources? If we're honest, we probably are

Our lack of player numbers and quality will eventually count over 40 plus games

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Writing them off certainly is ridiculous. Today is more likely to be a big help to their promotion chances then hindering it. 

Equally, signing so many apparently first team players on January deadline day is not the sign of team who think that they only need some fine tuning. Their form has been way short of promotion standard for quite some time now (after an admittedly very impressive start, results wise) and the manager has already shown signs of not being able to get the most out the resources he has, both there & at Fulham.

Deep down my money would still be on them to go up in second, but there's still a good case for them falling short. Today arguably even highlights it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, booth said:

I think most of it is wishful thinking.

If we manage to stay in the automatics with Brereton’s goals being the main thing keeping us there then Mowbray and Brereton both deserve a move to Barcelona.

I've always felt we are playing for the play offs. We are on an incredible run, but at some point we will get a dip.

We are certainly overachieving given the cost of our team, wages etc.

We are this seasons Barnsley, its on our hands. Massive pressure on getting everyone fit and keeping them fit. We are giving hamstring injuries out like candy, which is not a quick fix

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. We need to hope Brereton comes back from international duty as Diaz and that he doesn’t get injured for any spell, because I really can’t see where consistent goals are coming from otherwise. 

Can Brereton or even Diaz really score 15 more? I hope someone manages to chip in.

On the plus side Giles looks a great bit of business. People think he’s cover for Pickering, I think it’ll be the other way round.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not a dig but I thought you expected a couple if incomings regardless of whether Rothwell stayed?

I'm not negotiating the deals, they had talks, they had bids, they've signed 2 players in last 24 hours and 5 over the window.

Deals dont always go through, Dembele example of that, we bid, it was accepted, player said no thanks

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

I've always felt we are playing for the play offs. We are on an incredible run, but at some point we will get a dip.

We are certainly overachieving given the cost of our team, wages etc.

We are this seasons Barnsley, its on our hands. Massive pressure on getting everyone fit and keeping them fit. We are giving hamstring injuries out like candy, which is not a quick fix

But we were in touching distance of having a very good squad. I’m not sure why we haven’t brought in a goalscorer. I know Butterworth was as much use as a cone in his last couple of appearances but we are now left with two strikers when we’re in second place. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

We won the PL once and so did Leicester in more recent times......both had complete togetherness and a solid spine through the team.

As do we currently........just saying like!

No ones disputing we have togetherness, but so does a number of other clubs.

We are flying high above all expectations 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, booth said:

But we were in touching distance of having a very good squad. I’m not sure why we haven’t brought in a goalscorer. I know Butterworth was as much use as a cone in his last couple of appearances but we are now left with two strikers when we’re in second place. 

Should of bought a striker, should of bought one august too, no excuses.

Gallagher, injured again, and really not going to ever score the goals or fill the void if Brereton was injured/suspended

Dolan and Khadra are wide players, 

We are relying on defence at present, but our last 4 games, we have been woeful going forwards

• Like 5

Imagine a few clubs will be in for him but offering Snodgrass a deal to the end of the season would be sensible to me. Sounds like he’s only out of the door as he’s fallen out with Ismael.

Would add some real experience in helping us to potentially get over the line.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4