BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

35 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Hilarious how you’d pure dog the club for trying to raise revenue but then defend someone who will be set for life because of the opportunities we gave them. 

Who walked away for nothing.

‘Pure dog?’ No idea what that means, but do I want tickets to be more reasonably priced? Note, reasonably, not given away, as you keep trying to put words In my mouth over - yes I do.

But nice try to try and link my view on that to deflect from the fact that you behave like a 12 year old at matches.

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

AND they offered me 2.5x what Rovers did 👀

The only rumblings I've heard about what they offered is that it was a bit more, but not tons. 2.5x what we offered is extremely unlikely. At a guess, we were offering him at least 12k p/w at the absolute bare minimum (we're bloody idiots if we weren't). I highly doubt Boro offered 30k p/w for a CB in this league when they were already pretty well stocked there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Pure dog?’ No idea what that means, but do I want tickets to be more reasonably priced? Note, reasonably, not given away, as you keep trying to put words In my mouth over - yes I do,

Very tenuous to try and link my view on that with you admitting you behave like a 12 year old at matches.

I’ll remember to mention to the thousands chanting such things that Matty from BRFCS thinks they’re childish.

“Pure dog” btw is an obvious colloquialism by the way, its not like I’m asking for top grade cannabis is it?

48 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You over simplify things.

Of course you can't force them to sign. But you can act in a way that is more likely to persuade them to. Like making them feel wanted and needed, instigating negotiations in a timely manner and making them healthy offers.

I don't think those things have happened here and you only have to look at how Waggott treats paying supporters to obtain a glimpse into the workings of his mind.

Activating 12 month extensions was hailed as a masterstroke on here but in actual fact was probably the final nail in the coffin in making those players minds up to get the hell out of here.

I can't blame them. If I wasn't emotionally and locally attached to this club I'd do the same.

And what money issues do we have that stops us paying these lads similar to Middlesbrough? Did I imagine the slashed wage bill last summer and Armstrong cash?

Thoughts are lovely. 

But the facts are contracts have been on the table for them all season if not longer and negotiations have been on going ever since... The players clearly wanted a bumper salary and a nice fat signing on fee for themselves and their agents with being out of contract.

Inconvenient bugger that all 3 contracts ended at the same time but that's just the way it is.

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have signed a few new players and all of this whinging will be forgotten about. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TimmyJimmy said:

They were offered what they were worth IMHO.  It was their choice not to sign. C´est la vie. Move on. Over to you GB.

Do you know what they were offered? If you don't, then I don't understand how you can be so confident they were offered what they were worth, other than by adopting a blind 'the club knows what it's doing' mentality that has no room for facts.

Lenihan at least, probably was offered what he was worth...by Boro.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

apart from the last game all those games where pressure games. Maybe Hedges might had more of impact if Stubborn Mowbray played him right and stop with he must learn how we play first. 

Brereton Diaz is still here and I think he will go personally. I would get rid of Ayala cos of lack of fitness and availability to play enough games for the wage he earns here. 

I have posted what I would do transfer wise this summer and who I would move up from the under 23's squad into the first team. I have said I would sign 6 new players this summer and move 4 players into the first team squad from the under 23's squad. Nyambe not signing a new contract didn't change that

I'm never been the biggest fan of Nyambe anyway. Don't rate him much anyway

God I'm agreeing with Chaddly way too much lately! 

I pretty much agree on all of his points there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Bottom 8 is generous. If we played a competitive Championship fixture tomorrow I'd put my mortgage on us losing.

We'd be in a relegation dogfight for sure. Plus Diaz will leave before the window so we really are well short in every position. 

I'm not sure we've been in much worse shape at this stage before. But a few good signings and things will look a lot brighter. 

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The only rumblings I've heard about what they offered is that it was a bit more, but not tons. 2.5x what we offered is extremely unlikely. At a guess, we were offering him at least 12k p/w at the absolute bare minimum (we're bloody idiots if we weren't). I highly doubt Boro offered 30k p/w for a CB in this league when they were already pretty well stocked there.

I heard it is around the 30k per week mark.

Lenihen was on 14k per week here reportedly 

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

28 year old Centreback with tonnes of experience and no fee? 

Much easier conversation with the chairman regarding wages and signing on fee.

Oh and remember their chairman actually lives near the fecking club.

We’ve had the benefit of seeing him in the flesh though, and can anyone really dispute that the best two centrebacks we’ve seen in the last 5 years for us are Tosin and JPVH?

The buck has to stop with waggot for letting these 3 players leave for free.

Whether they are worthy of a place in the first team or not, they had value.

Waggots decisions led to us loosing them with no return! This is the only way for the club to make money is to create assets which our CEO has not done!

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

The year option fallback has been an absolute curse in these instances I think. Clearly all three players were happy to negotiate 2 summers ago, but Waggott showed no urgency because of the ability to penny pinch for 12 months. Keeping them around for an extra year on their low wages in the same period we slashed Holtby, Downing, Bennett and all the rest off the wage bill is going to show a massive saving on the wage bill for last season. Big tick in the box for Waggott and Cheston.

Meanwhile our players feel undervalued, but the negotiations stop at the clubs end because covid. Reading between the lines, the negotiations were mainly the club trotting out the usual “we’ve done all we can” message.

Lenihan has seen his predecessor as captain earn a couple of million over the space of 2 years for hanging around a bit and occasionally turning out for Wigan and Fleetwood.

Nyambe has seen Davenport, a player of a similar age who failed to make the grade at a big club come in and earn double his money to mostly sit on the bench.

Rothwell May be a bit different and likely always saw us as a stepping stone. He stepped up to us from Oxford for a minimal fee as there was no way he was committing his future to the long term, and increased his earnings accordingly. Done the same again, except Oxford we’re smart enough to get a fee.

Particularly in the case of Lenihan and Nyambe, the pleading of poverty probably isn’t going to wash. They’ve been here long enough to see some bad players pick up good money. I doubt either of their demands were outrageous, but they know their worth. Whether it’s us getting our house in order finally, or another spate of cost cutting, why should they let it harm their earning potential?

So much talk about their lack of loyalty… the year option really isn’t a sign of good faith, it’s a pretty unloyal tactic from the club. Maybe if we had people running the show with a bit more ability and integrity it wouldn’t be an issue.
We have to sell Brereton this summer. If we end up in the same position with him in 12 months it’s even worse given the fee he cost and the relative short time he’s actually been any use.

But didn't Waggott say half way through last season that we had been trying to sign them all for at least 18 months prior?

I am not saying that I trust Waggott with these negotiations but I think due to his incompetence in other areas that 100% can be directly attributed to him that he naturally lends himself to be blamed for everything.

The wages players are on are total speculation as are their demands and how valued they feel but ultimately the shrinking of our budget has lent to a situation whereby our better players are picked off by clubs with more ambition/resources who have been direct competitors. The key factor is always money and its not in short supply because Waggott wants to look good, the money is what is given by the owners.

I think the fee Oxford got for Rothwell was purely a nominal compensation fee due to his age at the time.

57 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm astonished even by your standards. You have seen what from Brown and Hedges to convince you that they are good enough for a mid-table Championship side? 2-3 cameos in low pressure games at the end of last season?

This is a squad game not a 1st XI game so whilst it doesn't look too bad when you list our best XI you and I both know that this doesn't work in the reality of the Championship. Ayala another year older and he only plays half a season at the best of times. Still big question marks over Dack's fitness and durability and BBD will have to be sold whether he is happy here or not. He's hardly going to be persuaded to hang around after watching 3 key players head off elsewhere is he?

I see that we are now shifting the narrative - Nyambe doesn't suit JDT's 'style' so its fine he's leaving on a free transfer and Lenihan might have wanted a change of scenery from being our captain and mainstay to go to.......Middlesbrough? I doubt he'll even move house for that one. Unless his wife has decided she wants to live on Teesside and forced him to leave like some folk reckon happened with Rothwell and Reed's partners?

I think Hedges and Brown are a bit different, the former had a few good games once he got a chance but also he was a regular key player at a top half Scottish Premier League team who regularly scored and assisted for a winger and has previously been capped by Wales. The latter has had one game in professional football and looked

Chaddy's side doesn't look that bad aside from him but there are many further question marks, some of which you touch on. We are reliant on Dack now and he regularly played down any excitement over his return so I am surprised that he even made that team, he has to prove himself again unfortunately. Ayala as you say is always injured and Brereton will not be here next season. That leaves an onus on Gallagher who showed this season in Brereton's absence and across his Championship career that he is not a regular scorer or top striker at this level and Buckley has not played so deep so he would have to prove that he is capable.

A overhaul required!

55 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I will be singing “there’s only one greedy bastard” anyway.

I suspect that this is not actually going to happen but if it does, I suspect you'll be in a small minority if not on your own.

7 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Personally think he's shit.

How have you come to such a strong and firm conclusion already?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

JDT seems to want to play with very attacking full back almost like Wing backs so maybe Nyambe might not the right type of player for that. 

How do you possibly know this?

We still wanted to keep him as of last week when our director of football specifically said that he could be suited to Tomasson's style etc so it is not our choice to let him go.

By the way, Bree may be out of contract but it is uncertain; Luton have a policy of not disclosing player contract lengths.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and I have posted what I would do with the squad. I can't be any more open with my opinion then I have been. 

what do you think of that?

We need to sign experienced players, is what I think. Any u23's who make the step up is a bonus, IMO, and should not be relied upon.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Apparently we do 10’s there’s close to 25…

All speculation, ultimately we can almost be sure that he will be on more there so I can understand him moving, especially as Boro seem more likely to push forward.

If we offered him 10k a week then I am not surprised that he left but I would doubt it would be that low for our captain.

22 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I heard it is around the 30k per week mark.

Lenihen was on 14k per week here reportedly 

I don't believe that at all. Maybe when the signing on fee is factored in or something.

If Lenihan was already on 14k here I can only assume we offered him a pay rise too. 14k or more means 30k would be more like 2x not 2.5x.

25 minutes ago, JBiz said:

28 year old Centreback with tonnes of experience and no fee? 

Much easier conversation with the chairman regarding wages and signing on fee.

Oh and remember their chairman actually lives near the fecking club.

We’ve had the benefit of seeing him in the flesh though, and can anyone really dispute that the best two centrebacks we’ve seen in the last 5 years for us are Tosin and JPVH?

The same 28 year old centre back with tons of experience and no fee is exactly what was on offer to us too. And our need for CBs was more pressing than theirs. Yet they're paying him about 10k a week more than we pay any of our best players? For a CB? When they have plenty of good ones. Nah not buying it.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you possibly know this?

We still wanted to keep him as of last week when our director of football specifically said that he could be suited to Tomasson's style etc so it is not our choice to let him go.

By the way, Bree may be out of contract but it is uncertain; Luton have a policy of not disclosing player contract lengths.

Look at the posted by @yeti-dogwho posted a link to how Jon Dahl Tomasson played at Malmo and his tactical approach there. It is very detail analysis. 

I just read Luton retained list statement and James Bree doesn't get a mention so it would appear he is not out of contract. 

4 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

We need to sign experienced players, is what I think. Any u23's who make the step up is a bonus, IMO, and should not be relied upon.

Well we have to agree to disagree on that. I will stand by my opinion

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Look at the posted by @yeti-dogwho posted a link to how Jon Dahl Tomasson played at Malmo and his tactical approach there. It is very detail analysis. 

I just read Luton retained list statement and James Bree doesn't get a mention so it would appear he is not out of contract. 

Well we have to agree to disagree on that. I will stand by my opinion

Different kettle of fish in a different league with the best team in the league and we don't know how he will play there. Like to think he is more flexible than you give him credit for.

Fact of the matter is that the director of football wanted him to stay and unfortunately we couldn't agree a deal. Difficult to find equal with no money coming in to replace him.

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't believe that at all. Maybe when the signing on fee is factored in or something.

If Lenihan was already on 14k here I can only assume we offered him a pay rise too. 14k or more means 30k would be more like 2x not 2.5x.

no way middlesboro are paying him 30 grand a week,they have a sensible chairman in gibson,who`s been in charge for years and has done the maniac wage period in years past,i reckon wilder has sold the club,it`s idealogy and promotion to him,tbh if he wants promotion he should be getting in defenders who are better than darragh

• Like 2