BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

According to Transfermarkt his market value is £900k, which means they'll pay more than that.

Personally I thought he was an infuriating player. Quick, skillful, but 7/10 made the wrong choice.

I think back to the Sheff U game at Ewood where he and Poveda were brought into the XI. Khadra, deflected goal aside, seemed to do nothing other than give the ball away for me. Poveda on the other hand looked a real player. Real shame what happened there.

He (Khadra) obviously has talent and I'd love it if we signed him on a four year deal. A bit of football intelligence and he could do some real damage in the prem with just a tad more experience - but the worry with players who have so much pace is that they never get that know-how because they can rely on their speed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Time for Broughton to show us what he's made of and that he has more about him than Waggott/Mowbray/Venus.

When do players have to be registered by to be eligible for Saturday?

You begin to wonder how Clubs in the lower leagues with a budget a fraction of ours  ever manage to sign any players as we seem to find it a mystical art completely beyond us.

They're going for quality over quantity. They're often players teams don't want to part with. We could have signed plenty of bodies if we wanted to.

The Academy graduates provide us with quantity already.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm not sure old Greggy boy is that well connected over here, hence the lack of any movement.....was a gamble to have a rookie DOF and rookie Manager......

Pretty harsh to call a manager with two seasons and two league titles under his belt a rookie, no?

• Like 5

Be underwhelmed with Khadra if he came back here. Quick but a headless chicken type.

A better manager might get a different tune, but I'd hazard a guess Markanday beats Khadra's 4 goals from last season.

Edited by Mellor Rover

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Pretty harsh to call a manager with two seasons and two league titles under his belt a rookie, no?

It’s called fishing for an argument K-Mod. It’s a daily occurrence.

”Hmm… how do I cause a stir this morning!”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You literally submit this post every day.

We get it, we lost 10 First XI players from last season's squad and have only brought in 1 new player (I'd argue that Markanday and Carter make that 3... and we'll see what we get out of Vale / Wharton / Garrett / Barnes / Burns / Leonard).

We're all aware of the situation. The negativity isn't helpful at all. This is a new regime under our dynamic duo.

53 minutes ago, unsall said:

Don’t think the majority are happy to gamble, but  realistic to acknowledge it’s difficult getting players over the line,unless you’ve money to burn,  most realise we might have to wait a bit nearer to the end of transfer window and see where we are then.

Pointless to keep being negative when we don’t know what’s going on in the background..

Why does it always come back to calling people negative? It isn't helpful nor a hindrance to the team what people put on this messageboard.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Time for Broughton to show us what he's made of and that he has more about him than Waggott/Mowbray/Venus.

When do players have to be registered by to be eligible for Saturday?

You begin to wonder how Clubs in the lower leagues with a budget a fraction of ours  ever manage to sign any players as we seem to find it a mystical art completely beyond us.

Lower standards. Usually not paying significant transfer fees. A larger pool of 'acceptable' frees because contracts tend to be shorter at that level. 

The squad obviously needs substantial strengthening, but it's not a coincidence that most Championship clubs (at least those who don't have parachute payments coming in) tend to leave a lot their transfer activity fairly close to the window closing. The players who are easy to get are usually straightforward because nobody else is bothered about them. Cardiff have brought in 12 players, but I don't think many would make it into our XI on Saturday. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Yeh none of those were ever going to make the Manure team, or Liverpool. They only made a 'mistake' in the sense that if they'd kept them around they could have likely loaned them to the Championship, earning some fees and then maybe a sale. Which isn't a practice I'm fond of (unless I'm playing FM, when I absolutely do this to an extreme that would make Chelsea wince...not cool to do it in real life though).

Exactly. Markanday could have a breakthrough season and score 8 or 9 goals for example, and especially considering he seemingly pushed to leave, Spurs would hardly rue a massive mistake.

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well when he played centre midfield against us at Ewood Park he was their man of the match. Brittain was second. 

Wrong on the figures I've used but used a number of different things like what Brighton have sold one of their centre back with similar figure, 1 year left on his contract, etc. 

Also you aren't convince by much are you? 

You seem to put a big emphasis on that one match in which the Barnsley globetrotters put up an excellent 2-1 loss!

The last sentence is a needless equivalent to calling me negative. I would love him back but I can't see him being obtainable and I would be surprised if we spent over £3m on a fee, something we have done 3 times in 9 or 10 years unless I have missed someone?

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Reality, not negativity.  Anyway the players aren't reading this.

Exactly. I think a few are going to be in for a shock when the games get underway. If Mowbray was still here and we were going into the season like this I.e. one signing made, people would be fuming. As it's JDT and Broughton though, it's fine.

Last season it was a case of "why is that bastard not making signings", but now it's a case of "It's difficult to make signings, JDT wants to bring quality in, we shouldn't just sign anybody, let's wait and see".

No romantic notion or theory papers over the fact that we are going into the season woefully unprepared, relying on a wishful hope that the kids might do something. We're weaker than last season and it looks like we are going to make very hard work of the first seven games.

QPR (H), Swansea (A), West Brom (H), Reading (A), Sheff Utd (A), Stoke (H), Blackpool (A). Looking at that and our current options, I can't see us beating any of them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JBiz said:

It’s called fishing for an argument K-Mod. It’s a daily occurrence.

”Hmm… how do I cause a stir this morning!”

No it's not.  I'd be happy if we had have replaced all the players that have left.  Broughton needs to fess up and quickly or we going into the season with half the u23s.  And they've been over trumped after winning some no mark league.  

Big strong men requited.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not good enough for Hibs to me is a rookie manager down here.  

He was linked with Hibs, but his salary demands were apparently too much for them. That's different to 'not good enough'.

He was also on the verge of joining a team in the Champions League (FC Zurich??) before Rovers signed him up. 

• Like 3

Of course the delayed appointment is somewhat of a mitigating factor but last summer it was blatantly obvious that the taps had been turned off and we were waiting with a begging bowl to see who we could borrow. This season the message is that we do have money which should make things easier.

On Szmodics, his struggles at Championship level mean that I am not overly concerned if he is not coming, but we do need at least one attacking player as soon as we can and I hope that we are well on with signing one. Whilst Brereton is here, I personally think that someone who can play as the striker is more pressing as Gallagher isn't great and Vale is untested, and we can line up a left sider to replace Brereton as soon as he leaves.

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

He was linked with Hibs, but his salary demands were apparently too much for them. That's different to 'not good enough'.

He was also on the verge of joining a team in the Champions League (FC Zurich??) before Rovers signed him up. 

Rightio 👍

He is a "rookie manager down here" as a matter of fact.

Of course, experience specific to this league like with players isn't critical to be a success. Owen Coyle and Paul Lambert have loads of experience including promotions in this league on their CV, Ancelotti, Klopp and Guardiola don't.

• Like 1