BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

On 27/07/2022 at 14:10, islander200 said:

It's not ignoring it though.Some including me feel the squad as it is Is capable of winning football matches in the early part of the season before injuries and suspensions take hold. 

If the squad is the same after the window closes then I'd be critical and would expect bottom half and a struggle. 

Maybe our preferred targets just ain't available at this point.Would you prefer the club to move down the list of targets for an inferior player just because that player would be available for us a bit sooner?

Why is this argument that people are calling for us to sign inferior players repeated so often?

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Jesus, get a grip. Just because we don't come out telling the world our targets doesn't mean stuff isn't going on behind the scenes. Still got 5 weeks until the window closes. 

I mean to be fair, the Venkys out call is always true.

There are 2 statuses regarding transfers, completed and not completed. In between is irrelevant with games starting in 2 days.

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

The fact that Butterworth is absent from the squad numbers shows he is off any day now 

Unlucky with injuries, and there is talent there, but if he's behind Vale (admittedly two very different players) at his age then his time is up.

Hope he makes of a success of things and we have the sense to put in a sell on % for one of our players for a change. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Galgaterover10 said:

So to sum up, nothing is happening? Or nothing that we are aware of is happening. 
find it odd we are not in for the Oxford lad seems to fit the mould for what we want and the type of player we like to sign. This has made me doubt the recruitment to be honest.

Yeap…Tyler Morton & Brannagan look similar kind of players…

Allthough I feel we need an attacking midfielder…Why on earth have we gone for a young loanie (who isn’t even here yet) when we could of signed a decent permanent….

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is this argument that people are calling for us to sign inferior players repeated so often?

I mean to be fair, the Venkys out call is always true.

There are 2 statuses regarding transfers, completed and not completed. In between is irrelevant with games starting in 2 days.

I asked the question.I didn't say he was asking for us to sign inferior players.My point was IF still a chance to sign target A then why would you move to target b just because they may be available a little earlier? 

Nobody knows either way what is going on.

Just now, islander200 said:

I asked the question.I didn't say he was asking for us to sign inferior players.My point was IF still a chance to sign target A then why would you move to target b just because they may be available a little earlier? 

Nobody knows either way what is going on.

Indeed, aside from the fact that as it stands going into the first game, we have signed one player, Callum Brittain.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20585278.jon-dahl-tomasson-outlines-blackburn-rovers-expectations/

"There is no truth in links of a move being close for Blackpool winger Josh Bowler"

Him and Styles seem to be fighting to become this seasons Marcus Maddison.

That's a line the journalist has thrown in, not a direct quote from JDT.

Sneaky, that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Indeed, aside from the fact that as it stands going into the first game, we have signed one player, Callum Brittain.

Yeah which is disappointing but we still have a team capable of picking points up in the short term.Signings will be made and if of decent quality not the end of the world for them not to begin the season with us

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Yeah which is disappointing but we still have a team capable of picking points up in the short term.Signings will be made and if of decent quality not the end of the world for them not to begin the season with us

You've acknowledged disappointment that we don't have the main chunk of our business done before the season starts, and as you want first team quality, presumably you acknowledge that whilst our first 11 may be competitive, it isn't as strong as you'd like it to be in a month, so having a weaker side will give us a lesser chance of winning. 

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Moderately reliable sources on the Blackpool side saying a fee of £1.7 million has been agreed for Josh Bowler.

With Rovers.

Can I ask who those sources are?

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Can I ask who those sources are?

Someone who works in football, that's all I know. The person who told me doesn't normally tittle-tattle and I would be surprised if there isn't something in it.

I've been burned on here before though after passing info on that turned out not to come to fruition.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Someone who works in football, that's all I know. The person who told me doesn't normally tittle-tattle and I would be surprised if there isn't something in it.

I've been burned on here before though after passing info on that turned out not to come to fruition.  

I feel like there isn’t anything too close with Bowler otherwise more realisable sources may have picked up on it.

However there’s defo something going on in the works with Rovers whether that’s a bid or negotiations. No smoke without fire… 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'll never rip into you for stating something that doesn't happen, I was told Rothwell was off to Brentford for 6mil in January, not Bournemouth!

See what happens. I still very much doubt it though until a more well established source picks up on it. If there was anything in the works, Nixon and Sharpe wouldn't have categorically denied it at risk of saving face.

Saw that one of Nixon's denials was predicated on Brittain and Bowler not being suited to being in the same team.

I know that doesn't prove anything, but is there perhaps a point there? Is Bowler a proper chalk-on-his-boots winger? And if so is it likely we'll be playing that sort of player alongside a wing back like Brittain?

1 hour ago, Dan said:

They’re drip feeding us, just keeping us alive, not blinking an eye at pissing £20 million away every season, when a little investment could see their ‘baby’ thrive. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if they just pulled the plug, this stagnation is frustrating. 

My hopes were raised with the new manager, the talk of money available. I’m hoping to be proven wrong, but it just seems like we keep getting fed bullshit and it’s all talk. This is the perfect time for them to show they actually do want us to progress. 

Issue number one with this is FFP they can't just throw money at the "baby" because FFP does not allow this. Money has been made available which is why we signed Brittain. The same fans who got fed up of everything leaked to the press saying we should be professional are now the same fans who are complaining that they are not ITK. 

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Well this is all very predictable, not a pot to piss in, waiting for handouts from Premiership club and billionaire owners.

You can keep changing the manager and his direct reports, but we need a change in ownership or this continues season after season after season.........

Venkys Out!

Predictable? Well yes the window hasn't closed and various clubs up and down this country and across Europe are in similar position to us. It isn't like we are miles and miles behind. We haven't changed manager in 5 years so we haven't been frequently changing recently...

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Saw that one of Nixon's denials was predicated on Brittain and Bowler not being suited to being in the same team.

I know that doesn't prove anything, but is there perhaps a point there? Is Bowler a proper chalk-on-his-boots winger? And if so is it likely we'll be playing that sort of player alongside a wing back like Brittain?

He's definitely a winger. 

Nixon's point was how can you have a wing back AND a winger on the pitch at the same time. 

Which is something Mowbray did a very good job of proving can't work.

Although Conte manages fine wherever he goes. Albeit with much better players.

I wish people would stop lumping us in with all the other clubs in the land, as though our issues are just normal ones faced by well run sensible clubs at this time of year and there's nothing we can do about it, as though everything is sorted out at Rovers and the only issue is the general state of football

I get that it is fashionable these days to avoid putting any blame at the door of the owners or those they employ but ultimately they have been in control of finances and contracts and they are the ones who have left the Club short on numbers on the cusp of a new season.

Of course it is tough to do business. Simple way to avoid that if you are struggling to sign players - don't let 10 important ones leave overnight! Sort your contracts out in good time. Don't build a squad on loans (all things I've raised concerns with on here over the years which now leave us in this precarious state).

So just to recap its absolutely nothing to do with Venkys, lackey or Waggott that we've lost 10 significant players over the summer, nothing to do with them that we have been dependent on loans every year to fill the squad up which means we have to wait until the deadline to sign key players, nothing to do with them that we've only signed 1 person this summer to replace them all.

Edited by JHRover

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You've acknowledged disappointment that we don't have the main chunk of our business done before the season starts, and as you want first team quality, presumably you acknowledge that whilst our first 11 may be competitive, it isn't as strong as you'd like it to be in a month, so having a weaker side will give us a lesser chance of winning. 

Look the initial post you quoted from me was disagreeing with the assertion that we can't compete with Blackpool because they matched the release clause in Brannigans contract and we didn't .It was being made out that because Sharpe said he was a player liked that he was a preferred targets.

Agreed it would give us a better chance if we had more through the door than the one signing.My point is we have no idea how far we are along with signings so I don't feel the need at this point to be overly critical.

16 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

No that’s complete waffle. Brittain gets up the line and bowler likes to cut in.

• Like 3