BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I am also glad to see Brown go out on loan as he looked well off it v Birmingham and it suits everyone for him to get regular game time, maybe shows something that he has gone to League 2 and not 1.

He has always been fighting an uphill battle coming to England so late and it might well end up with him leaving permanently to League 1 or 2 should his loan spell end well.

Szmodics for £2.5m seems a hell of a lot. Has struggled in the Championship on two occasions to establish himself and Peterborough fans don't seem overly arsed to see him go. Predominantly a number 10 so a lot of money for a player who will mainly be a sub.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

That rules bowler out then…Don’t know much about the lad & wont judge till I’ve seen him play…

Might be contradicting myself here but 2.5m seems steep…

Be 2.5 total though IMO.

Guessing 1.5 + 1, based on appearances, goals, promotion etc.

1 hour ago, phili said:

Throughout Venky's tenure they have either been kept the same or been increased each season. Prices have never been reduced since Venky's have been here 

Not saying they have, but it is since 2019 that we are seeing these rapid rises. I.e Riverside up £110 in three years.

Edited by Mattyblue

For me, Brown moving to League Two cements it as a pointless signing. At his age, realistically we need to see what he can do in League One, right now, for him to have any chance of making the first team here.

His deal keeps him here until June 2024 (then a one-year option) but next summer he is 25. Are we really going to be able to rely on him even as cover having one season in League Two as his only professional experience at 25? He's going to have to absolutely kill it for that to be even a remote possibility IMO. Or for our finances and squad to be absolutely shot I guess...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm excited by the calibre of player we've been linked to: Styles, Bowler, Davies, Ahmedhodzic - they would all walk into our first team and improve it. 

So am I---every summer!

The excitement fades once the widow closes but a year later I've forgotten all the pain and get excited again.

Its like a goldfish in a bowl or pregnancy!

Bowler for 3m great business - easily worth 6/7m on a long contract.

Szmodics for 2.5m less so - however could be a hidden gem considering his season in League one last year. Harsh to judge him when playing in a very poor Peterborough team and still managed 7 goals. Would be a pass from me tho at that price 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not saying they have, but it is since 2019 that we are seeing these rapid rises. I.e Riverside up £110 in three years.

I really think they want to close the Riverside. If they talked to the fans they'd know why that is a bad idea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

For me, Brown moving to League Two cements it as a pointless signing. At his age, realistically we need to see what he can do in League One, right now, for him to have any chance of making the first team here.

His deal keeps him here until June 2024 (then a one-year option) but next summer he is 25. Are we really going to be able to rely on him even as cover having one season in League Two as his only professional experience at 25? He's going to have to absolutely kill it for that to be even a remote possibility IMO. Or for our finances and squad to be absolutely shot I guess...

It's a two-way street. A League One club has to be willing to take him on loan...

To be fair, I also don't rate that source at all. 

Never heard of them, seem to have regurgitated rumours from unknown users on Twitter to generate clicks.

Butterworth I would assume.

Sorry for seeming positive but after the delay and farse to the end of last season, the administration of the club seems to be improving and no more square pegs in round holes in key football positions.

The uplift in mood around the team and communications has been obvious to me, yes we would want business done earlier but would you be happy with someone walking in the door and a few weeks later spunking 10m on players he didn't know, for a squad and league he doesn't know?

The proof will be in results and the state of the squad at the start of September, but it seems a lot, still bits left, of deadwood has been cleared out, players on stupid contracts that crippled us and made us sail close to the wind that is FFP for too long.

Dack and Markandy are like new signings given their input last season, right back has improved, Buckley and Travis another year older and experienced, however I do believe more quality is needed at CB and in midfield.  Given we played a front 3ish last season, as things stand BBD, Gallagher, Dack, Markandy, Hedges, Vale, and Dolan seem a decent pot to pick from in this division,

Positive signs for me, but I reserve the right to be peed off come 1st September if more doesn't happen, especially in defence and midfield.

Edited by The Gull
  • Like 2

Don't know anything about Szmodics, but as with any new recruit if they join the club then they'll have my support. Hopefully he is followed by JPVH and Bowler (wishful thinking I know).

Sounds like Morton will join next week. Friend of mine is a Liverpool fan and reckons he is miles ahead of Clarkson and not as lightweight at all.