BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

26 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Be a shame to see him leave just as we are starting fresh under JDT but his sale this summer has been inevitable as he won't be signing a new deal.

As long as we replace him, then it will be fine but that's not a guarantee. 

Where have you read that btw?

Assuming we get some serious money to spend to replace bb if he leaves.... Who could we realistically try signing to replace him? 

I'm hoping we wouldn't have to be taking gambles on div1 or relatively unproven players, we'd need someone to come in that can pretty much guarantee us at least 15 a season 

Aside from salary restrictions one of big hurdle we have these days is simply that having spent the last 10 years mostly treading water in the championship we just dont have the pulling power we once had, not just financially but also in reputation & stature, there's now a whole generation of younger playerd that will only really know us as a championship club (with  sketchy owners) 

I'm hoping JDT and Broughtons enthusiasm is now doing a lot to change that perception, but it's still early days 🤞🤞

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Assuming we get some seriousmoney to spend to replace bb if he leaves.... Who could we realistically try signing to replace him? 

I'm hoping we wouldn't have to be taking gambles on div1 or relatively unproven players, we'd need someone to come in that can pretty much guarantee us at least 15 a season 

Step forward Luca Toni

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

"Wolves are right at the front of the queue to sign Ben Brereton Diaz after a report revealed they are ready to act after learning Blackburn Rovers’ asking price for the Chile international."

Seems like our boy could be on his way out, he'll be missed for sure - but if this is done within the next week then happy days.

Use the money to sign JPVH, Bowler and Birmancevic - would definitely put us in the mix.

If that story is correct then surely we can't risk Brereton on Saturday and have another Dack situation (against Wigan) whereby a big move is scuppered due to injury. That said I was surprised to see Szmodics start for Peterborough on Saturday with a move to us pending.

5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Step forward Luca Toni

I do think we will be shopping abroad to find his replacement, maybe this birmencivich(or whatever hes called🙈) that Jonny boy worked with at Malmo plus someone else thats more of a traditional goal poaching CF

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

Best case scenario regarding BBD;

Brighton stick their name back in the hat and battle it out with Wolves for him, we simply tell them to include JPVH as part of a deal and he's theirs.

And West Ham - get a bidding war started. That article also says Valencia, Frankfurt, and Lyon have shown interest. How true, I dont know.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

Best case scenario regarding BBD;

Brighton stick their name back in the hat, and battle it out with Wolves for him... we simply tell them to include JPVH as part of a deal and he's theirs.

Get the sense that jpvh is on his way out of Brighton anyway, It would be a big career move for Van Hecke so i think he'd want to be sensible and see if a prem club or decent European club comes for him offering good wages before he'd choose to rejoin us, But if he's thinking more with his heart instead of his head I bet we'd be his first choice! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I do think we will be shopping abroad to find his replacement, maybe this birmencivich(or whatever hes called🙈) that Jonny boy worked with at Malmo plus someone else thats more of a traditional goal poaching CF

Maybe that Bergan (St/LB) or whatever he was called could be a stop gap before we reinvest properly in another window. 31 I think he is. 

It occurred to me recently that we have always had decent goalscorers at the club during the venkys era!

Rhodes, Graham, Dack, Armstrong, BBD (more recently) have all challenged at the top of the goalscoring tables without rovers making much of an impact on the league.

Our problem has been getting the rest of the team to contribute.

Now, I believe a goalscorer will be the talisman that boosts the whole team but maybe its time to sell the prized goalscorer to strengthen other areas!?!

If we sold BBD & brought in van hecke, bowler, got a decent LB & took a chance on a cut price number 9, how would that sit with people?

• Like 2

Although we're in no position to complain about any bodies coming in I'm not really convinced by the two latest signings and a BBD departure would make it a very poor window indeed imo. Shows up the "It takes longer to get quality in" argument as the players concerned have been linked to us for a while and you wouldn't exactly say either are out of the top drawer.

At this stage of the window I'd  wager BBD would  be replaced by someone who isn't as good or temporarily by a loanee on the basis "it's difficult to do business at the last minute" or "everyone wants good players".

If BBD absolutely has to leave to leave the best deal for us would be involve a top quality player in PX such as £10m plus JPVH from Brighton. Otherwise I fear we'll just bring in a substandard replacement and be weaker as a result in the long run.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

I also think that if BBD leaves we need two strikers not one as as we saw in the second half of last season, unless Dack gets back to somewhere near his best there's barely a goal in the rest of the team.

Will people also stop with the "if we do X,Y and Z with Gallagher he'll become a 15-20 goal a season striker nonsense?" He's 27 and has only managed double figures once. It ain't happening, stop torturing yourselves.

I did think I'd snap anyone's hand off if they offered half our money back for Gallagher. After his display on Saturday I'd reduce that down to £1m and get his wages off the payroll.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bennisfromheaven said:

It occurred to me recently that we have always had decent goalscorers at the club during the venkys era!

Rhodes, Graham, Dack, Armstrong, BBD (more recently) have all challenged at the top of the goalscoring tables

Before that it was Yakubu, McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Cole, Jansen 

rovers always have a good goalscorer

• Like 4

Agreed but the ones we have had in the last 10 years have not led to any real success. Without them we would have definitely been weaker but if we tightened up the defence & added a couple of extra goals to those playing in midfield, wide or the new front 4 formation, would our league position suffer?

It's a gamble in my eyes but it does represent a change from the formula that has not brought much success.

22 minutes ago, Bennisfromheaven said:

Rhodes, Graham, Dack, Armstrong, BBD (more recently) have all challenged at the top of the goalscoring tables without rovers making much of an impact on the league.

Our problem has been getting the rest of the team to contribute.

Now, I believe a goalscorer will be the talisman that boosts the whole team but maybe its time to sell the prized goalscorer to strengthen other areas!?!

If we sold BBD & brought in van hecke, bowler, got a decent LB & took a chance on a cut price number 9, how would that sit with people?

Graham hasn't,  I'll give you the other four though.

An interesting post. We've also had our share of donkeys in recent years though, Best, DJ Campbell, Chris Brown, Luke Varney, Simeon Jackson and  Gallagher etc etc so prolific goalscorers aren't that easy to unearth despite appearances to the contrary.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Graham hasn't,  I'll give you the other four though.

An interesting post. We've also had our share of donkeys in recent years though, Best, DJ Campbell, Chris Brown, Luke Varney, Simon Jackson and  Gallagher etc etc so prolific goalscorers aren't that easy to unearth despite appearances to the contrary.

Scored 16 in the 18/19 season to be fair, one less than Dack.

• Like 1

If we do get anywhere near £20 million for Brereton, I hope it finally puts paid to the ridiculous notion that Mowbray has left the club in a weaker position than when he came. 

We now have a young squad on supposedly manageable wages, many with a potential to be sold for good money. 

That definitely wasn't the case when he came in. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, M_B said:

If we do get anywhere near £20 million for Brereton, I hope it finally puts paid to the ridiculous notion that Mowbray has left the club in a weaker position than when he came. 

We now have a young squad on supposedly manageable wages, many with a potential to be sold for good money. 

That definitely wasn't the case when he came in. 

I think we dropped lucky with Diaz - for the first two years he didn't look like he was worth £20 let alone £20m. There was no apparent improvement in his game - if anything he seemed to go backwards as he lost confidence. Then the pandemic hit - games behind closed doors and his confidence rose. Then the call up for Chile - and his confidence went up another notch.

He showed enough in the match at the weekend to think that last season wasn't a flash in the pan.

Personally I don't think he left us in a weaker position (possibly just above when he joined originally) - we now have a younger squad than when he joined - but he did leave at a time when we had massive holes in our squad due to players leaving at the end of their contracts. The contract position is possibly not his fault, but similarly I don't think a young squad is entirely down to his master plan - you only have to look at his handling of Travis.  

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm
  • Like 3