BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

I agree that 1 if not 2 CB’s are needed before the window shuts, but you fail to mention that we bid for both Anel and Ben Davies but both deals failed to come off.

Sharpe stated in the telegraph that a £3m bid had gone in but he opted for the higher wages on offer in Sheffield.

I will be with you to criticise the club if defenders aren’t brought in or any money from a hypothetical sale is not reinvested, but I’m keeping my powder dry for the moment.

We need 1 CB - that leaves us with Wharton, Ayala (who will get injured at some point), Carter (we have to give him 6 months to prove himself at this level), Phillips and A.N. Other. That's plenty. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

Why are Q's about transfer updates 'silly'?  Every footie journo in he land asks about them. The problem at Rovers is the dysfunctional set-up whereby the bloke who should be answering them has gone into hiding, leaving JDT to answer them.

I said silly because it’s clear that JDT can’t or doesn’t want to answer those questions yet they persist.

As for “gone into hiding”, I’ve seen pictures of Broughton at the training ground and he wasn’t wearing a balaclava.

Can't see Venkys letting Brereton go for any less than £20 million, unless advised otherwise by Broughton and Tomasson. 

There's still the January safety net, and I realise that foreign clubs can sign a pre contract agreement to secure a free transfer.  That still doesn't guarantee that Brereton will want to go abroad, neither does it guarantee that his potential wage offer from any foreign club would be better than a Prem club in danger of relegation. 

100% keep him, at least until January. 

1 minute ago, JeffRover said:

I said silly because it’s clear that JDT can’t or doesn’t want to answer those questions yet they persist.

As for “gone into hiding”, I’ve seen pictures of Broughton at the training ground and he wasn’t wearing a balaclava.

Not answering questions though is he, so he might as well have gone into hiding. I think you know what I meant. 

And it's clear they are journo's who during a transfer window will ask about transfers. That's their job. The problem is Broughton not being available to answer questions. It's clear to a blind man on a galloping horse what was going to happen, and it's just as clear JDT is getting pissed off with it. 

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Why are Q's about transfer updates 'silly'?  Every footie journo in he land asks about them. The problem at Rovers is the dysfunctional set-up whereby the bloke who should be answering them has gone into hiding, leaving JDT to answer them.

I'd much rather we go about our transfer business quietly and effectively rather than worry about answering reporters questions.

I wouldn't call it dysfunctional as the policy to keep schtum seems a deliberate one.

That might frustrate you but I'm sure they'll not be losing any sleep about that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yeti-dog said:

I'd much rather we go about our transfer business quietly and effectively rather than worry about answering reporters questions.

I wouldn't call it dysfunctional as the policy to keep schtum seems a deliberate one.

That might frustrate you but I'm sure they'll not be losing any sleep about that.

It's not frustrating me, I'm not the one having to answer them, but it's frustrating JDT. That's the point. 

13 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

I agree that 1 if not 2 CB’s are needed before the window shuts, but you fail to mention that we bid for both Anel and Ben Davies but both deals failed to come off.

Sharpe stated in the telegraph that a £3m bid had gone in but he opted for the higher wages on offer in Sheffield.

I will be with you to criticise the club if defenders aren’t brought in or any money from a hypothetical sale is not reinvested, but I’m keeping my powder dry for the moment.

I could not care less about bids made that failed to come off.

As I have said many, many, many times, it matters not who we enquire about, make bids for or try and fail to sign. Just like the stuff about Assombalonga, Kipre and the others in years past.

Hard luck stories about how tough it is and how we've tried and failed to get the bodies in won't be good enough for me, and I'm pretty sure won't be tolerated for long by an ambitious manager.

Fully agree - we've time left yet to do things and I hope, pray, that things develop soon on that front.

But the point remains - we've had months to sign a CB and haven't done it - despite claiming to have a good budget

So what are the chances of getting a Brereton replacement in? Slim I would say, at best. I don't blame Broughton for this, it is the finance people and owners.

In the Brereton situation I am asking myself will BRFC benefit from the money from a sale? Will it make a difference to the bills being paid on time? Probably not. Will it see substantial cash released for reinvestment? History tells us probably not. It will be the same stuff - we've tried to get the players in, made enquiries but got priced out and ran out of time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's not frustrating me, I'm not the one having to answer them, but it's frustrating JDT. That's the point. 

You certainly sound frustrated.

I didn't realise you had a direct line to how JDT was feeling by the way..impressive.

He's more likely just frustrated with dumb journalists and their inane questions.

1 minute ago, yeti-dog said:

You certainly sound frustrated.

I didn't realise you had a direct line to how JDT was feeling by the way..impressive.

He's more likely just frustrated with dumb journalists and their inane questions.

You seem to be making it personal? You ok, bit frustrated perhaps?

And if you watch the interviews you can see the frustration when he answers. 

• Moderation Lead
25 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

It fundamentally doesn’t matter though, does it? We didn’t sign them and still need more defenders….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You seem to be making it personal? You ok, bit frustrated perhaps?

And if you watch the interviews you can see the frustration when he answers. 

Nothing personal, I just find it a strange thing for you to be banging on about.

Let's agree to disagree and hopefully move on to talking about new arrivals soon ..

Id put my house on Ben Brererton still being here when the window shuts unless offers of £15+ Million are received.

I want him to stay now, the league looks poor again and we won't replace him with better and we have already been told the budget is healthy and we are actively seeking signings.

We have a few younger players who potentially could bring in decent money over the next couple of years so I'd rather us gamble in this instance and keep Ben and take the hit on missing out on the transfer fee even if sold for £15 million when you take into account the percentage Forest will get and the fact we paid out £8 million for him in the first place and wages and bonuses received by the player throughout his contract we will be lucky if we make £4-£5 million profit on him. 

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Jaybes said:

I have no idea. Just saying that £10-12m seems a good enough chunk of cash for a competent scouting/recruitment team to find a young gem from some corner of Europe. 

I think us getting such a good deal for Armstrong then him going on to sadly be a dud in the prem is probably going against us in terms of what prem clubs are now prepared to offer for him.

Football wise going back to Forest would be the 2nd best move for BBD if they wanted him, i think he'd really suit the way they play and blend in well with their current squad, not sure whether the sell on clause would work in their favour or not in negotiations! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

We are top of the league and Premier League is worth billions...

Why on earth sell your best player and your star man in this position...

Would Fulham or Bournemouth do that? I would say we should keep him and give JDT a warchest of £10m. JDT has showed what he can do with limited resources....

I think selling BBD is as well as give away promotion...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Maybe. I did wonder about Phillips going off with diarrhoea on Sunday tbh

He soiled his nappy Andy. He also failed a drug test after the game.

They found Calpol in his system.

😂😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AJW said:

Minimum £15m then let the lad decide , the Leeds rumour won’t go away and maybe the lad wants to play PL and not go abroad either way we need to plan for his exit and get replacements .. yes plural .. lined up !

Who do you find to replace a 20 goal striker?..... we wont....BBD has benefited from being here some years and now his best years to come....shame... even if we sell him for £15m I really cant see who would replace him... he fits so well in to our play and movement... you can see that Gally and Breo had one assist each and showed a good understanding against WBA....

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

8.4M is insulting, but he will go this window I don’t doubt it. I’m sure we have replacements lined up, don’t panic. 

As a side note I’m getting bored senseless of Radio Lancashire and the Telegraph keep asking JDT about signings. It’s the same answer every time - when will they realise that Greg buys them and JDT coaches them? 

Agreed, but even worse are the dozens of tweets a day replying to anything by Bayes, Nixon and Sharpe asking if there is any news on signings. As if they are going to say “Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, it totally slipped my mind that Van Hecke is currently at Brockhall… I got a bit sidetracked asking Travis if he’s happy to be made captain”.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, neophox said:

Who do you find to replace a 20 goal striker?..... we wont....BBD has benefited from being here some years and now his best years to come....shame... even if we sell him for £15m I really cant see who would replace him... he fits so well in to our play and movement... you can see that Gally and Breo had one assist each and showed a good understanding against WBA....

Personally I would try for Armstrong back on loan and then boy Boy from Rotherham .. Ogbene ??? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Agreed, but even worse are the dozens of tweets a day replying to anything by Bayes, Nixon and Sharpe asking if there is any news on signings. As if they are going to say “Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, it totally slipped my mind that Van Hecke is currently at Brockhall… I got a bit sidetracked asking Travis if he’s happy to be made captain”.

Fans taking an obsessive interest in the football club they love. Whatver next?! Football forums?? Fans forums??