BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

8 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

£10m for 3 out of contract players who are untested outside of the championship? Seriously ???

Well according to reports in January Bournemouth were offering £4.5 million for Rothwell with only 5 months left on his deal.

So yeah if all 3 had been under long term contracts I'm pretty sure they'd have been worth over £10 million combined. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Well according to reports in January Bournemouth were offering £4.5 million for Rothwell with only 5 months left on his deal.

So yeah if all 3 had been under long term contracts I'm pretty sure they'd have been worth over £10 million combined. 

I don't know in what world Lenihan & Nyambe are worth a combined £5.5m yet on frees they end up at Boro & Wigan. Honestly think £3m for the pair of them under long term contracts is pushing it.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, if the right money is offered BBD will be gone, also I agree with an earlier post about him waiting for a PL team to come in. With a baby on the way I can't see him fancying a move abroad, I doubt many new fathers would regardless of their profession.

The 'dream' scenario for me would be something like;

- BBD goes to Brighton - we get van Hecke + £10m.
- Sign van den Berg on loan.
- Sign Callum Styles.
- Sign Josh Bowler.
- Sign Veljko Birmancevic.
- Sign Lewis Grabban.

A lot I know, and there are so many variables - it's just what i'd like to happen. That being said, it isn't entirely impossible (just nearly).

JDT has made it clear that he'll need to adequately replace BBD, he'll surely have brought the money from the sale into that conversation.

Bowler is like a right-sided BBD in some capacity, Birmancevic scores often for Malmo and has tonnes of potential, Grabban is a proven and consistent bagger. We may even end up in a better position, the resale value of some of the above could be huge.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Would be a shame to lose BBD considering how he's started so well for us this season... however, it's something we are probably just gonna have to accept.

If the right money is offered he will be gone, I agree with an earlier post about him waiting for a PL team to come in. With a baby on the way I can't see him fancying a move abroad, I doubt many new fathers would regardless of their profession.

The best case scenario for me would be something like the following;

- Sign Callum Styles.
- Sign Josh Bowler.
- Sign Lewis Grabban.

Seems like a lot I know, but with some of the BBD money and the money we already have available it aint entirely impossible. JDT has made it clear that he'll need to adequately replace BBD, he'll of obviously brought the money from the sale into that conversation behind-the-scenes.

Bowler is like a right-sided BBD in some capacity, Birmancevic scores often for Malmo and has tonnes of potential, Grabban is a proven and consistent bagger. We may even end up in a better position in all honesty, the resale value of some of the above would be huge also.

That would be great. Are you free to meet Gregg this morning?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

But they weren't so your value suggested is totally and completely irrelevant - neither DL or RB cost Rovers anything. I can assure you the Rothwell bid was far short of the £4.5m you suggest, try £2m up front with add ons to make it to £3m at the most.

The news of Brereton bids is disappointing but inevitable. He’s arguably the best player in the league (some will say Sarr but that’s another debate) so there’s always going to be interest.

I’d love to keep him as he’s turned into somebody who can get you out of your seat and there’s not many of them about. Compare that to when he first came and the difference from that lost boy is remarkable.

Football is a business however and can understand if we do cash in, although I’d hope they hold out for close to £20m.

Will we be able to get a like-for-like replacement with a player just as good whilst also fitting into our wage structure? I highly doubt it. But we’ve seen with teams in this division before that they sell there best player, reinvest in the whole team rather than just one replacement and it helps them make the step up. Just off the top of my head, Watkins/Benrahma at Brentford and Maddison at Norwich spring to mind.

The question for me then would be, would the whole team be improved with some of the Brereton money being invested? Hypothetical but would JPvH (we need a defender), Bowler (not going to have the same output as Brereton Diaz but could fit the fluid forward line we play) and a young, hungry striker like Andreas Schjelderup on permanent deals make us a better side than one we have now with Diaz in?

That’s what Gregg and the like would need to consider, not whether we could get just a replacement for BBD.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Unfortunately, if the right money is offered BBD will be gone, also I agree with an earlier post about him waiting for a PL team to come in. With a baby on the way I can't see him fancying a move abroad, I doubt many new fathers would regardless of their profession.

The 'dream' scenario for me would be something like;

- Sign Callum Styles.
- Sign Josh Bowler.
- Sign Lewis Grabban.

A lot I know, and there are so many variables - it's just what i'd like to happen. That being said, it isn't entirely impossible (just nearly).

JDT has made it clear that he'll need to adequately replace BBD, he'll surely have brought the money from the sale into that conversation.

Bowler is like a right-sided BBD in some capacity, Birmancevic scores often for Malmo and has tonnes of potential, Grabban is a proven and consistent bagger. We may even end up in a better position, the resale value of some of the above could be huge.

Beat me to it 👍🏻

• Like 1

I can't understand why the club didn't get Reda Khadra back in, assuming he was available, affordable and/or didn't turn us down. Perhaps, they see Dolan and Hedges as ample cover but with Brereton Diaz expected to move on, he would've been a safe bet to get goals and assists, to support any new signing.

Khadra was one of the drivers of our run last year. He helped make Buckley impress as a no.I0 by offering direct running and options, even if his output tailed off. Gallagher returning from injury and to the wing cut off that outlet to some extent.

If Dolan does step up, maybe, that'll explain it.

Edited by riverholmes

1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

I can't understand why the club didn't get Reda Khadra back in, assuming he was available, affordable and/or didn't turn us down. Perhaps, they see Dolan and Hedges as ample cover but with Brereton Diaz expected to move on, he would've been a safe bet to get goals and assists, to support any new signing.

Khadra was one of the drivers of our run last year. He helped make Buckley impress as a no.I0 by offering direct running and options, even if his output tailed off. Gallagher returning from injury and to the wing cut off that outlet.

At Sheffield United on loan

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And you got to accept that some of that money has to go on paying the debt off each season. That has we become more self sustainable and less reliant on their money. 

The Armstrong money went towards fill the hole in the FFP allowing us this season to invest in the squad. Plus Mowbray had 5 million to spend in January and didn't 

It’s a debt that’s their fault and they can sort. If we can’t reinvest money from player sales into the first team, we go one way and it isn’t up….

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

But they weren't so your value suggested is totally and completely irrelevant - neither DL or RB cost Rovers anything. I can assure you the Rothwell bid was far short of the £4.5m you suggest, try £2m up front with add ons to make it to £3m at the most.

The whole message in the original post you replied to was because the contract situation wasn’t resolved, so of course him stating if they were under long term contracts was relevant 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

I don't know in what world Lenihan & Nyambe are worth a combined £5.5m yet on frees they end up at Boro & Wigan. Honestly think £3m for the pair of them under long term contracts is pushing it.

You might be right there, but then Rothwell would have been worth a lot more than Bournemouth offered if he was under long term contract.

So increase that figure for Rothwell drastically. Then you don't need much for the other two to hit £10 million.

Point remains that we aren't 'doing a Brentford', far from it letting assets walk for nothing.

It also suggests the chances of replacing Brereton with proven quality is almost zero. Our 'wage structure' has seen those departures and will prevent us offering competitive terms to proven quality.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Khadra was one of the drivers of our run last year. He helped make Buckley impress as a no.I0 by offering direct running and options, even if his output tailed off. Gallagher returning from injury and to the wing cut off that outlet to some extent.

Khadra caused issues through his rash-ness only. How may league goals did he get? 3? 

One sticking point in all this... Brereton himself. 

We can accept an improved bid from Nice all we want, last I'd heard he didn't want to leave currently.

Young boy, pregnant girlfriend, it's a huge ask to move to a foreign country.

Unless there's premier league money involved, I expect him to stay put this window.

16 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Khadra was average, he was quick and tricky, but his crossing was poor, he was never fit enough to last a full 90 and he got what, 3-4 attacking returns? 

Hedges looks like he’s stepped up a few gears and seems a decent player. 

Dolan, as much as I like the kid, I don’t rate him that highly as a player. He’s giving off headless chicken vibes every time he plays. 

• Like 2