BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Age old transfer strategy.

Do very little until the last day or two hoping that the PL boys agree to send a few loans here at low cost to Rovers or potential permanent signings/selling clubs drop their demands at the last minute and we can land a bargain.

Sounds clever but it isn't.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Age old transfer strategy.

Do very little until the last day or two hoping that the PL boys agree to send a few loans here at low cost to Rovers or potential permanent signings/selling clubs drop their demands at the last minute and we can land a bargain.

Sounds clever but it isn't.

I simply cannot comprehend why you will not acknowledge one single difficulty with transfers from our specific financial state and current reputation.

I’ve tried to fathom it, but it just doesn’t make any sense. I can acknowledge that we’ve hardly got the very best for the job but you won’t budge a single inch, and paint every issue as an excuse.

@J*B can we have a links only thread for the last week, I cannot wade through anymore of this.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We won't because it would take money, ambition and proactivity. But I would like to see us bid for Dael Fry who may have fallen down the pecking order at Boro.

Man, signing Dael Fry would be a big kick in the bollocks.

Boro get Lenihan on a free to replace Fry, we pay money to sign Fry to replace Lenihana. There is nothing more Rovers than that. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I simply cannot comprehend why you will not acknowledge one single difficulty with transfers from our specific financial state and current reputation.

I’ve tried to fathom it, but it just doesn’t make any sense. I can acknowledge that we’ve hardly got the very best for the job but you won’t budge a single inch, and paint every issue as an excuse.

@J*B can we have a links only thread for the last week, I cannot wade through anymore of this.

Agreed, we've got to that stage. 

• J*B changed the title to Transfer Window Discussion - Sub 8 days remaining
2 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

I'm feeling very deflated, tired and fatigued. It's possibly due to the antibiotics i'm on, though it could be because of Rovers.

Probably both, I guess.

I have crippling depression, and tonsillitis.

Keep safe and get well soon, probably best not to read anything Rovers related for a week

18 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Can you elaborate on this point, and explain to me how with a scaled back wage bill, squad consisting predominantly of kids and academy players, with a recent major sale of a prized asset and it seems likely another one to follow, that our 'specific financial state' and 'current reputation' means we are incapable of signing any players to fill massive gaps in the squad? Anyone else in the Championship finding it this hard?

Current reputation - we've just assembled what appears to be a professional and thought out structure led by an ambitious head coach. We were in an automatic promotion race until March and narrowly missed the play offs.

Not aware of any other Championship clubs with a net profit on trading in the last 12 months of over £10 million and likely to hit £25 million if BBD is sold whilst ALSO having billionaire owners in place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Can you elaborate on this point, and explain to me how with a scaled back wage bill, squad consisting predominantly of kids and academy players, with a recent major sale of a prized asset and it seems likely another one to follow, that our 'specific financial state' and 'current reputation' means we are incapable of signing any players to fill massive gaps in the squad? Anyone else in the Championship finding it this hard?

Current reputation - we've just assembled what appears to be a professional and thought out structure led by an ambitious head coach. We were in an automatic promotion race until March and narrowly missed the play offs.

Not aware of any other Championship clubs with a net profit on trading in the last 12 months of over £10 million and likely to hit £25 million if BBD is sold whilst ALSO having billionaire owners in place.

Someone needs to do a podcast / article on exactly what happened to the Brockhall / Armstrong money, it is my understanding that it all went to covering costs because of COVID. Although I could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Can you elaborate on this point, and explain to me how with a scaled back wage bill, squad consisting predominantly of kids and academy players, with a recent major sale of a prized asset and it seems likely another one to follow, that our 'specific financial state' and 'current reputation' means we are incapable of signing any players to fill massive gaps in the squad?

Financial scenario is high debt, low turnover and difficult margins with FFP constraints (see last summers registration embargo and ultimately having to sell training ground). Secondly -  competition for players capable of being top “champ” level is fierce, and there’s a list of teams who can offer more based on these financial issues.

Anel for example. People can say “well go get someone else”, but it has to be the right one. As we’ve seen with Ayala - risk, big wage, and has been injured far too often to justify. It’s not easy.

Another reason for the difficulty is Reputationally we’re not a favourite for promotion or play offs, despite position early season or last year (your momentum analogy was embarrassing imo) and thus players of that ilk and ability, would probably choose one of those (not forgetting wage packet) as it’s a quicker and more likely route to 50k a week.

Yes, we’d have no problem plucking players from lower champ and league one - but for finding players who will truly make the difference at this level, isn’t easy.

Importantly - I must add; The owners could have a far far better system in place, in fact they even acknowledged that by changing it up this summer. It’s important to say this as I’m often painted as someone who doesn’t have any complaints. That’s absolutely not true.

In terms of this new setup though? Surely one window? Or maybe even 1 season is time to see what transpires?

Rather than jump for the “broughton is a dud” ( @SuperBrfc) or one of your half baked conspiracies?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Financial scenario is high debt, low turnover and difficult margins with FFP constraints (see last summers registration embargo and ultimately having to sell training ground). Secondly -  competition for players capable of being top “champ” level is fierce, and there’s a list of teams who can offer more based on these financial issues.

Anel for example. People can say “well go get someone else”, but it has to be the right one. As we’ve seen with Ayala - risk, big wage, and has been injured far too often to justify. It’s not easy.

Another reason for the difficulty is Reputationally we’re not a favourite for promotion or play offs, despite position early season or last year (your momentum analogy was embarrassing imo) and thus players of that ilk and ability, would probably choose one of those (not forgetting wage packet) as it’s a quicker and more likely route to 50k a week.

Yes, we’d have no problem plucking players from lower champ and league one - but for finding players who will truly make the difference at this level, isn’t easy.

Importantly - I must add; The owners could have a far far better system in place, in fact they even acknowledged that by changing it up this summer. It’s important to say this as I’m often painted as someone who doesn’t have any complaints. That’s absolutely not true.

In terms of this new setup though? Surely one window? Or maybe even 1 season is time to see what transpires?

Rather than jump for the “broughton is a dud” ( @SuperBrfc) or one of your half baked conspiracies?

The vast majority of the debt is to the owners. It is interest free with no date for repayment. It will only ever be paid back if they decide they want to try and claim it, which isn't going to happen.

It has absolutely no bearing on our ability to sign players right now.

Low turnover - admittedly a big problem - but one which the Club and owners have done next to nothing to address for going on 10 years. The reciept of £15 million from AA and soon to be £15 million for BBD in the space of 12 months comfortably outweighs any hindrance we have from lower income and turnover than rivals.

I didn't say it was easy to identify these players. But the club is employing 'experts' on huge salaries to run this. So the self-pity its ever so hard line I don't buy. We can offer much more or at least should be able to offer much more than dross like Blackpool, Luton, PNE, Wigan, Millwall and the like yet it appears not. The alternative to not getting the 'right' player is not to sign nobody at all.

I see you are a 'jam tomorrow' member - so now we can't judge the summer window because it is too early for the new super structure to be measured on? Carry on at this rate JDT will walk - he's obviously getting fed up - and then we can start from scratch again next summer and it will be too early then to form opinions.

Speaking of half baked conspiracies - what would it take for you to believe the simple yet seemingly unpalatable possibility that our problems are simply a result of disinterested owners who have turned the money taps down to such a trickle we can barely operate at this level?

Instead it seems preferable to believe in every other possibility going - club reputation, FFP, turnover, debt, too early for Broughton, poor us

• Like 2