BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Even if by some miracle the owners allow some of the money back into the pot, it will be limited to a couple of million and our wage structure will prevent that being put to much use.

This is the crux of the matter. I know you're loath to believe it but I'm fairly certain we have a decent budget available for transfer fees now irrespective of a BBD sale but still  can't seem to get players in.

Unless we look at the wage structure we won't be able to spend any monies received for BBD on anyone half decent either.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This is the crux of the matter. I know you're loath to believe it but I'm fairly certain we have a decent budget available for transfer fees now irrespective of a BBD sale but still  can't seem to get players in.

Unless we look at the wage structure we won't be able to spend any monies received for BBD on anyone half decent either.

I think our hands are tied due to the new rules for ffp coming in next season. Phili says we are limited to salaries being 90%, presumably that means 90% of turnover which will be incredibly hard to achieve unless our revenue grows substantially. 

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Can we get Van Hecke for £2.5m?

Can we Hecke. He would no doubt cost more.  

But comparatively, even at twice the price.  He would be a better option for the club.

That said, I'd rather not spend a large amount in JPVH either😂.

I'd rather we invested up front.

7 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

I think our hands are tied due to the new rules for ffp coming in next season. Phili says we are limited to salaries being 90%, presumably that means 90% of turnover which will be incredibly hard to achieve unless our revenue grows substantially. 

I don't know how the new FFP rules will operate but IF that's the case then we might as well give up in the long run and enjoy BBD in the short run for 12 months then as selling him won't make a ha'peth of difference.

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What is the solution to the wage structure problem? Increasing costs is a risky game to play and even then we’d struggle to compete with clubs at the top of the championship with their parachute payments. Say if across a 25 man squad we increase the salaries by on average 5k a week, that’s 6.5m a year. A huge amount for any championship team.

7 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

What is the solution to the wage structure problem? Increasing costs is a risky game to play and even then we’d struggle to compete with clubs at the top of the championship with their parachute payments. Say if across a 25 man squad we increase the salaries by on average 5k a week, that’s 6.5m a year. A huge amount for any championship team.

Funnily enough 10,000 extra fans at £30 for 23 games comes to 6.9m

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting everyone should have a pay rise.

8 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

To be fair you've kind of missed the point I was making.  If I've never heard of him, he's clearly not stood out at championship level so compared to the other names we've been linked with, he's an underwhelming signing (to me at any rate).  He doesn't seem to fit with our modus operandi for spending decent sums. 

He may turn out to be great but I bet he wasn't on the A, B or C list..certainly won't be somebody JDT is familiar with. 

It's also a relatively large fee.  Let's go back to the early interviews with Broughton and JDT.  

If you were told we're going to spend around £7 million (if fees are to be believed).  Then get told in the next breath who the 4 players are (Brittain, Szmodic, Morton and Hyatt) what would the general reaction have been?

Does it really make any difference if Hyam is third or fourth choice on the list but he still on the shortlist for centre back position. 

JDT will be involved in the final process before we sign players. 

Got to trust our recruitment team and research and scouting that they done

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Given your seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of football, surprised you hadn't suggested him @chaddyrovers

I didn't realise I was professional Scout for Rovers 😉🤔

5 hours ago, Neal said:

Josh Bowler is the best and only adequate replacement for Diaz. Proven quality in this league, match winner, plays down the road, needs to be sold. 

Just get it done. 

Not a replacement for BBD for me. Ideally you want right foot on the left. Bowler played on the right where we enough players to fill the side of pitch. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting everyone should have a pay rise.

But you can’t get new players in on big contracts then when other players come to renew their contracts offer them less than what the newer players get. Eventually it leads to an increase in wages throughout the squad.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Which is down to WAGGOT!

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

(Hypothetically)

Ben: Sorry to hear you think that way but I can't afford to turn down £7m over 5 years and neither would you. If that's your decision then I'm happy to play at under 21 level for the season but of course if you require me to play for the first team I'll always give my all for them as well. The ball's in your court".

That gigantic tail of the dog has just got bigger.

5 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

But you can’t get new players in on big contracts then when other players come to renew their contracts offer them less than what the newer players get. Eventually it leads to an increase in wages throughout the squad.

Out squad is now made up of youth team graduates many of whom will be on a few grand a week.  Room is created in the budget by doing this and you can't have a clutch of players on 20k pwk and the rest on 5 or less either but that;s the way it's going.

1 minute ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

Just as an example, who is really worth decent money out of the current squad, I'd say Kaminsky, Scott Wharton, Travis and Brereton.

Maybe Buckley if he becomes more consistent, maybe Dack if he got back to his best and (for his age) Phillips based on his likely transfer value.

The rest - meh - if they don't like it they know where the door is.

That's 6-7 players at best not 25. Ought to be room for a few more higher earners.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Out squad is now made up of youth team graduates many of whom will be on a few grand a week.  Room is created in the budget by doing this and you can't have a clutch of players on 20k pwk and the rest on 5 or less either but that;s the way it's going.

It is at the moment but it seems we are trying to replace a good number of those graduates so the expenditure will go back to what it was last season.

In terms of people being paid higher salaries, I’ve seen it all throughout my working life. If some people are getting paid more it pisses other people off and then they want more, or they leave. Then we’re back in a position where we either pay higher salary to get a good player in, and so increasing the budget further or we get a lower quality of player.

23 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just as an example, who is really worth decent money out of the current squad, I'd say Kaminsky, Scott Wharton, Travis and Brereton.

Maybe Buckley if he becomes more consistent, maybe Dack if he got back to his best and (for his age) Phillips based on his likely transfer value.

The rest - meh - if they don't like it they know where the door is.

That's 6-7 players at best not 25. Ought to be room for a few more higher earners.

I’m not sure there is room for higher earners once we replace most of the players who left last year. I think Greg said the budget is about the same this year as the last year.

To me it seems that any player we go for that’s wanted by clubs with higher attendances or parachute payments we get blown out of the water by. To get these players we aren’t talking about paying a couple of hundred thousand a year more, but a million or even more. It has happened but it’s rare that we lose out on players going to clubs in a similar financial situation to us over a couple of grand a week.

54 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

. It has happened but it’s rare that we lose out on players going to clubs in a similar financial situation to us over a couple of grand a week.

And that's why we end up with bog standards like Pickering, Nobbers rejects, and a few kids who don't give a shite from larger clubs.

22 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

The guy keeps saying its true

5 years ago id be happy with this,  seems very odd, he's not a ball playing CB? He's a tough tackler yeah but now 30 years old, just doesn't seem the type of signing JDT would want..I'm on the fence if I'm going to be brutally honest, he has championship experience etc just seems a really odd signing [if true]

• Like 2