BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well, O’Rourke’s tweets usually lead to an announcement/signing soon after.

So, that was all fun while it lasted…

O Rourke was completely wrong in January about Rothwell. Was talking absolute nonsense so I wouldn't expect the vague comment about Cocu being in the running to be any different.

Can't be proved or disproved either way unless he's actually appointed.

• Like 2

Cocu was manager of Derby for one season, finishing 10th. He also installed "total football" know to Derby fans as "Cocuball".

So there you have it: mid-table 10th and another version of Mowbray's sideways passing game

Cocu is perfect

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Cocu was manager of Derby for one season, finishing 10th. He also installed "total football" know to Derby fans as "Cocuball".

So there you have it: mid-table 10th and another version of Mowbray's sideways passing game

Cocu is perfect

“ Total football “ with guys who aren’t the Dutch national team. What can go wrong there ?

What that Rothwell was about to sign? Well he was, but no journo can forsee the unpredictability of Venky World.

He’s far more accurate than most others. 

Looking forward to you trying to spin this one if he did trap… 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

I love these random pearls of wisdom, absolute garbage, the only wool being pulled over anyones eyes is the job you’re failing to do for Venkys, people see through it both on here and in the ground.

Cocu is just the type of appointment Venkys could make, you’ll be happy when he walks through the door I assume?

I'm not doing or failing to do any job whatsoever for Venky's as you well know. Stop being mischievous.

I wouldn't be happy with Cocu but he could hardly do any worse than Mowbray could he?

"Here's £100 over the next 5 years, see if you can get us up to 11th"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Cocu would be the end for me. Nothing would convince me that the demolition of Rovers isn’t deliberate in that case.

A friend of the family has a season ticket at Derby and after 5 games under Cocu she refused to attend. It was clearly an agent appointment, agent players and agents feathering their own nest. Cocu didn’t even know the name of the ground in one interview or that Clough had managed Derby.

Be afraid….

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Di Matteo has been out of football far too long now and similar to Roy Keane being suggested on here. Football has moved on and we need a manager who knows this league and has promotion on his CV surely if our ambition is promotion in the next 2 to 3 seasons? 

Can I asked why you think appoint Ainsworth is a risk too much to take but you would support us appoint Liam Manning as Mowbray's replacement who has no Promotion on his CV? 

Mowbray's hasn't spoken to the owners for months and Waggott is just a yes man, so how would Mowbray know much? Is Suhail Pasha and Waggott going to tell Mowbray anything. 

I respect you for you posting that you would give Mowbray a new contract. I have supported Mowbray for most of his time but I feel a massive change is needed here and we need a new manager with new coaching staff if we ever want PL football back here cos Mowbray has had 4 years here and never achieved it. 

I’m not advocating for di matteo it’s just whispers Iv heard but he does have a promotion from the league. Also a champs league on his cv, don’t think we could get anyone else with that in their credentials 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

“ Total football “ with guys who aren’t the Dutch national team. What can go wrong there ?

He also left Derby bottom of the league when they sacked him. 

Coco would be a typical Venky’s appointment - somebody they’ve heard of on Champ Manager 2001 at Barcelona. Maybe he can bring Frank de Boer in as his assistant too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Di Matteo has been out of football far too long now and similar to Roy Keane being suggested on here. Football has moved on and we need a manager who knows this league and has promotion on his CV surely if our ambition is promotion in the next 2 to 3 seasons? 

Can I asked why you think appoint Ainsworth is a risk too much to take but you would support us appoint Liam Manning as Mowbray's replacement who has no Promotion on his CV? 

Di Matteo has managed in this league and won promotion from it so I don't understand your first paragraph. I understand that being out of management for that length of time is a concern but I don't think it should be a deal breaker.

I don't think Ainsworth is any more a risk than Manning. Both are similar. I think, looking at Mannings background with the City Group, that he has a big future in the game and will quite quickly be approached by bigger clubs higher up the divisions. It seems QPR are already on the case.

I am deeply concerned by people suggesting or prioritising Ainsworth purely on his Blackburn connections. I think that is foolish and lazy.

I think both are significant risks neither of which I would personally take at this time but yes, if it was a case of picking one from League One it would be Manning.

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Cocu would be the end for me. Nothing would convince me that the demolition of Rovers isn’t deliberate in that case.

I wouldn’t want cocu, most of the names linked would be a disappointment other than farke but he did do well with psv and derby were on the slide well before he came in, I wouldn’t 100% go on that spell. It’s not a coyle appointment for me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Did you see the Netflix documentary on Sunderland? There were scenes when he was speaking in front of the team and the players looked really bored. He didn't come across as very inspiring at all.

Almost ruined his career that documentary, before then he was quite well regarded but yea he didn’t come across well at all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Looking forward to you trying to spin this one if he did trap… 

Like I said to Gav wouldn't be happy with the appointment (at all) but even so I doubt he could do much worse than Mowbray. 

You seem pretty quick to jump on this particular rumour but don't seem as keen to get  excited about the Farke rumours or the fact that he is favourite in the betting.........

Neither mean much at this stage of course.

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I wouldn’t want cocu, most of the names linked would be a disappointment other than farke but he did do well with psv and derby were on the slide well before he came in, I wouldn’t 100% go on that spell. It’s not a coyle appointment for me 

Must admit I didn't realise that his spell at PSV was as successful as it was.

Sadly, his spell at Derby is far more likely to be an indicator of what can expect if he gets the Rovers job. Also whilst he didn't have a decent budget at Derby, he still massively underperformed with a better group of players than Rooney has worked with. Possibly better than Coyle, but still completely senseless if the likes of Farke are genuinely interested. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He will be the shortlist but I think he just wouldn't the same type of appointment for me. 

I also think Lee Johnson, former Bristol City and Sunderland boss will be on the 6 man shortlist(just a feeling)

I think the 6 man shortlist will be Daniel Farke, Gareth Ainsworth, Phillip Cocu, Lee Johnson, Mark Warburton and David Unsworth. I think these 6 will be interviewed for the Rovers manager/head coach job here to replace Mowbray with

Has a 6 man shortlist been mentioned anywhere? 

Big questions around who would be conducting the interviews - if Venky’s are making the decision on a manager it seems as waste of time anyone being interviewed by Waggott, Cheston or even Pasha.

Interviews are a pretty outmoded recruitment tool generally these days, particularly with a job as unique as football management. A two way discussion sharing ideas and expectations is one thing, but a traditional interview process would be laughable really… and so I fully expect Steve Waggott will be reading questions from a sheet like “where do you see yourself in 5 years time” and “what are your strengths and weaknesses”.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Di Matteo has managed in this league and won promotion from it so I don't understand your first paragraph. I understand that being out of management for that length of time is a concern but I don't think it should be a deal breaker.

I don't think Ainsworth is any more a risk than Manning. Both are similar. I think, looking at Mannings background with the City Group, that he has a big future in the game and will quite quickly be approached by bigger clubs higher up the divisions. It seems QPR are already on the case.

I am deeply concerned by people suggesting or prioritising Ainsworth purely on his Blackburn connections. I think that is foolish and lazy.

I think both are significant risks neither of which I would personally take at this time but yes, if it was a case of picking one from League One it would be Manning.

I think it would be fairly risky to appoint Di Matteo given he hasn't managed since 2016.

Yes QPR appear to have already made initial overtures to Manning. And we have done what? We haven't even got round to scrawling Tony's "Dear John" letter yet.

Do we know next season starts early?

I think O’Rourke is fairly on the ball, simple as that.

Whereas ’ITK-ers’ on this board rarely come up trumps, probably due to the dysfunctional nature of the club as much as their contacts being duff, so yes, I’m not going to get excited on brfcs (or Nicko) rumours…

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Like I said to Gav wouldn't be happy with the appointment (at all) but even so I doubt he could do much worse than Mowbray. 

That’s exactly what Ipswich fans said about McCarthy…… 

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well, O’Rourke’s tweets usually lead to an announcement/signing soon after.

So, that was all fun while it lasted…

He doesn't always get it right.

Two week ago he had Mike Ashley as the new owner of Birmingham City when it wasn't the case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

That’s exactly what Ipswich fans said about McCarthy…… 

Yep, well, if the next appointment bombs you'll be able to have your moment in the sun and tell us all (and me in particular) "I told you so".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Two week ago he had Mike Ashley as the new owner of Birmingham City when it wasn't the case.

Click bait.

If you put enough of it out, some of it is bound to come to fruition.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think the 6 man shortlist will be Daniel Farke, Gareth Ainsworth, Phillip Cocu, Lee Johnson, Mark Warburton and David Unsworth. I think these 6 will be interviewed for the Rovers manager/head coach job here to replace Mowbray with

If correct that doesn't bode well. There is very little, if anything, in common between any of those people, suggesting that there is little by way of a plan here.

Farke has an outstanding record at this level and could get a move to any Championship club - should be given the job if interested and the others binned off

Ainsworth has been at Wycombe Wanderers all his career and whilst he has done very well with them in the lower divisions by all reports plays a very different style of football and recruitment and is very much a manager rather than head coach as Farke was at Norwich.

Cocu is  more similar to Farke in the head coach and style department but has had a mediocre record since leaving PSV, but nevertheless is a big name in European football.

Johnson is a head coach sort from Bristol and Sunderland but his record is no better than Mowbray's and he's a streaky manager who would often get Bristol to the top 6 then collapse and was sacked at Sunderland this season so not sure why he's suitable here.

Warburton has just left QPR for similar issues to what we've had under Mowbray although he's an experienced operator with a decent reputation at this level.

Unsworth is a relatively young coach with no experience as a full time senior manager.

There is very little, if anything, in common between those 6. Just about as wide and varied group of people as can possibly be drawn up.

Just imagine having options including Farke or Dyche and then appointing Unsworth or Lee Johnson. Christ.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m not advocating for di matteo it’s just whispers Iv heard but he does have a promotion from the league. Also a champs league on his cv, don’t think we could get anyone else with that in their credentials 

Those were years ago and the fact he hasn't managed for nearly 6 years ago given he has champions league. I would leave him on the unemployment ladder. First choice is Daniel Farke with Gareth Ainsworth second choice. 

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Di Matteo has been out of work for nearly 6 years now. Time to leave him there 

I have suggested Ainsworth not for reasons of Blackburn connections at all, but he has 2 promotions and maybe a third on a small budget. Manning doesn't have any promotion on his CV. 

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Big questions around who would be conducting the interviews - if Venky’s are making the decision on a manager it seems as waste of time anyone being interviewed by Waggott, Cheston or even Pasha.

Interviews are a pretty outmoded recruitment tool generally these days, particularly with a job as unique as football management. A two way discussion sharing ideas and expectations is one thing, but a traditional interview process would be laughable really… and so I fully expect Steve Waggott will be reading questions from a sheet like “where do you see yourself in 5 years time” and “what are your strengths and weaknesses”.

Mention by Alan Nixon to me yesterday. 

Interview with by Waggott and Pasha maybe with Balaji video link maybe. Its better than it being done by other non Rovers people, 

I think interviews people is a fairly common tools these days in my line of work these days still. 

Nothing wrong with interviews and talking to different candidates then appoint the best man for the job. 

10 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

More like “ Is your wife’s lemon drizzle cake cake any good ? “

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It's called kite flying in newspaper circles......print enough speculative stories and one of them is bound to be correct.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As you would say "sources"?

Are you basing those names on any specific information or are you just plucking random names out of thin air off the betting lists?

Edit: See you've replied to Miller. I wouldn't put too much store on what Nixon says.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1