BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

This article seems to imply that Mola can't be sent back by us under the conditions of the loan, and overtly states that Hirst can't, meaning we are reliant on the parent clubs recalling them. Those seem like bad terms to agree to unless the players are costing almost nothing.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23225349.george-hirst-update-blackburn-rovers-eye-attacking-move/

Possibly just because we started late, thanks to Venky's usual glacial pace of doing... well, anything, and panicking a bit to get bodies through the door. Hopefully not a mistake that will be repeated, and at the very least it seems like Hirst may be recalled if we're lucky. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would a couple of games against kids to keep fitness up be worth more than a half decent season at League 1 level?

Just answer a simple question yes or no. Do you think Hirst is a decent football player at a professional level ?

On 02/01/2023 at 23:53, Mellor Rover said:

Gonna hazard a guess that JDT had never heard of George Hirst until a week before we signed him. I highly doubt he was chomping at the bit all summer to get him in like Gregg is trying to make out.

I'm chomping at the bit to get rid of him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yankfan said:

What does it take to find a better footballer than Gally or Hirst up top?  Surely there are 100s out there. I don’t enjoy knocking Gally because he works so hard, but he’s just not technically good enough. Hirst is 1/4 the player of Gally. 

Gally doesn’t score enough goals, granted, but we’re a miles better team with him in the XI than out of it. 

• Like 4

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23226894.blackburn-rovers-must-see-january-transfer-window-chance-strike/

‘The January transfer window. A chance to reset and refresh, to signal intentions for the remainder of the season, to plug gaps or deficiencies within the squad, to act early in anticipation of what may happen in the summer, to gain valuable cover for squad showing signs of creaking.’

Can’t argue with that Rich, shame the club didn’t feel that way when in an even better position last season…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Boro allegedly winning the race for Archer.

Screenshot_20230104_083809_Twitter.jpg

Strange one with Forss already on loan and Akpom... must be guaranteed game time. Could we contact Brentford and try snatch Forss of them?

12 hours ago, BigBar said:

Where are people seeing that we are back in for an old target?

Suspect it's largely down to what we always did under Mowbray. A target gets mentioned, and then returned to a year or two later.

Maybe I'm mistaken in saying none of our senior signings in Broughton's and Tomasson's first transfer window were linked with us under Mowbray:

• Hyam
  • Brittain
  • Szmodics
  • Morton
  • Mola
  • Hirst

I'd say we can largely forget about any names mentioned during Mowbray's tenure, including Dembele and Maja. Broughton and Tomasson will have other ideas.

Edited by goozburger

I would be happy to see Hirst go, he hasnt shown anything to warrant staying in the few games or cameos he has had. However, in fairness to the lad we just don't play a system that suits traditional strikers. Its the same reason Gallagher gets so much grief for his goal record.

A striker thrives on crosses in the box, through balls, cut backs in the penalty area, neat 1-2s on the edge of the box. All the things we dont do as a team. 

The role of a striker in our system is more akin to a pressing midfielder like Dolan who harrasses their defence into mistakes for the wide lads or midfielders to take advantage of.

So whoever we replace him with they need to make sure it suits the playing system otherwise we will just be sat here slagging some other fella off in a few months time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rover23 said:

Gally doesn’t score enough goals, granted, but we’re a miles better team with him in the XI than out of it. 

We appear to be goosed for a lone striker when Gallagher is injured. Vale and Hirst don't have the build to play in that role. Brereton Diaz appears to be favoured in the wide forward role, not just by the incumbent Head Coach. However, bringing in a lone striker, whether it's as cover for Gallagher or to start ahead of him, feels like an expensive and difficult task that we won't undertake. I really think we need to, though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Suspect it's largely down to what we always did under Mowbray. A target gets mentioned, and then returned to a year or two later.

Maybe I'm mistaken in saying none of our senior signings in Broughton's and Tomasson's first transfer window were linked with us under Mowbray:

• Hyam
  • Brittain
  • Szmodics
  • Morton
  • Mola
  • Hirst

I'd say we can largely forget about any names mentioned during Mowbray's tenure, including Dembele and Maja. Broughton and Tomasson will have other ideas.

Not linked at the time but its been mentioned since that both Brittain and Hyam had been on Rovers list previously though not sure how far it went. I believe Brittain was one they were serious about for a while though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23226894.blackburn-rovers-must-see-january-transfer-window-chance-strike/

‘The January transfer window. A chance to reset and refresh, to signal intentions for the remainder of the season, to plug gaps or deficiencies within the squad, to act early in anticipation of what may happen in the summer, to gain valuable cover for squad showing signs of creaking.’

Can’t argue with that Rich, shame the club didn’t feel that way when in an even better position last season…

To extent they did.

They kept hold of the 3 out of contract players without selling them. They brought in Hedges, Zeefuik and Giles just none of them worked at the time.

The huge issue was Mowbrays stubborn refusal to sign a striker. Money was apparently available but Mowbray stubbornly decided not prioritise a position where we were light. Basically if Diaz got injured we were screwed. And then it happened and he just shrugged his shoulders.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

• Hyam
  • Brittain
  • Szmodics
  • Morton
  • Mola
  • Hirst

pretty sure most of the first transfer window signings were based on players identified by john park and his team for mowbray if he'd stayed last summer. broughton and tomasson then cherry-picked from those they felt may fit their ideas. brittain and hyam minimum fall into that category, but i wouldn't be surprised if they all did considering we didn't have a recruitment head at the time. broughton was big on talking about park's contribution to that window as the latter left, which makes me think he was being gracious for allowing them to start on the front foot, despite coming in mid-window.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes, he clearly is a decent player at a professional level. League 1 level. Presumably he would more effective a division below.

I have the exact opposite view of Hirst. He doesn't even shine for the U21s. A player on loan who is trying to get a contract, will put effort in, where-ever they are asked to play.

20 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You need quality to get you over the line. Like ‘92 with Cowans, ‘01 with Hughes, Friedel and Berkovic.

Likes of Zeefuik and Giles when sitting 2nd and on the verge of something truly transformative for Blackburn Rovers, really?

Like I said at the time, "What? Zeefuik?"

I'll get me coat.