BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

13 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If we somehow get promoted I don't want Lewis Obrien in my midfield. 

Then we bite our collective lips, pay Forest £10m as agreed, loan him out and bank the additional £120m+.

Edited by booth
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

Wow - Tayo Edun in the squad tonight according to Sharpe. I thought he was on the way out. 

It's all part of the "long term plan". Start the window off with aspirations on unloading certain players then give up and welcome them back into the fold regardless of whether they're good enough.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J*B said:

If I had to bet, I would say Sheff United will sell Berge to get out of their embargo and loan OBrien to get them promoted. 

Think they paid £22m for Berge and would want that back with interest.

And like for like...they must have more players lined up in that case. In all likelihood their squad is already strong enough for top two.

I can't see how anyone could defend the infuriating comments that a team in the play offs at the end of January doesn't specifically aim for the top 6. Embarrassing.

O'Brien would be an excellent signing especially with an obligation to buy should we go up, the owners and the structure below have no no interest in going up anyway!

Just feels like a window where the final comment will be us missing out on everyone but "tried" but lets hope I am wrong.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Steve Cook would get straight into the side, would be good on maybe a 1.5 year deal to provide much needed experience. These links combined with different types of attackers don't suggest a structured recruitment plan.

Definitely. But would he fit the style JDT wants us to play? Not the best passer of a ball I've seen.

Steve cook class at this level was one of the reasons behind forest's turn around last season. Not getting anywhere near that squad now and probably won't be registered after the deadline. He would be an amazing if not essential signing and surely could be done on the cheap.

Edited by Danny O.Brien

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I can't see how anyone could defend the infuriating comments that a team in the play offs at the end of January doesn't specifically aim for the top 6. Embarrassing.

O'Brien would be an excellent signing especially with an obligation to buy should we go up, the owners and the structure below have no no interest in going up anyway!

Just feels like a window where the final comment will be us missing out on everyone but "tried" but lets hope I am wrong.

Unless it's a false flag. We know that GB and JDT like to keep their cards off the table in the hope of flying under the radar

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I can’t for the life of me work out why we didn’t sell Brereton if we don’t expect to finish in the top six. I don’t mind the ‘no expectation of playoffs’ and can see sense in it. But if that’s the plan you sell BBD. 

I couldn't disagree more. Maybe the expectation in summer was that play offs were not probable given the mess Mowbray and Waggott left us in. However having unexpectedly reached in January in the play off positions, you HAVE to give it a go. Otherwise, what is the point of the football Club existing in the first place? There is none.

Secondly, you can't absolutely guarantee success at any point, whether or not you claim to be following some nebulous long term plan (which in reality is probably only a ruse to keep certain individuals on the gravy train for as long as possible anyway) If an opportunity unexpectedly arises in the meantime, even if it's earlier than anticipated, you HAVE to try and go for it.

• Like 3

It’s like we’re smashing a random footballer generator if today’s names have any credibility/accuracy. If we’re going to sign someone today (I genuinely believe we’re trying but I think we’re failing to) then it needs to address the two big issues we face, which are losing the midfield battle and not scoring enough goals.

There are all manner of approaches with the latter and Sorba Thomas is a signing that could help with that. The former is very much narrower. Strong, confident and capable centre midfielder. If the staff believe nobody is better than Morton in that sense, then I don’t see why they’d sign anyone. If the staff see it as the weak point that apparently everyone sees it as, then they’ll sign someone to that description. Ignoring any restrictions, it should be Chalobah over O’Brien for me, but I’ll wait and see.

29 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I get the general sentiment but I can't agree with this in bold. We need short, medium & long term plans, that's why a DoF is here. They're all as important as each other but the medium & long term plans need to be fixed with defined goals at various stages.

The short term plan needs to dovetail with those, whilst being flexible enough to take advantage of promising situations, or indeed to mitigate threatening ones. That's where the club fell down last January and seems to be doing so again.

And the common denominator there is not GB or JDT.

Couldn't disagree more with this either. Arbitro is quite right.

10 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Steve cook class at this level was one of the reasons behind forest's turn around last season. Not getting anywhere near that squad now and probably won't be registered after the deadline. He would be an amazing if not essential signing and surely could be done on the cheap.

Does he fit into our new playing out style?

48 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Send the scouse wally back aswell in one go, great deadline day

We won't I imagine but yeah I have lost faith in him too. Wanted it to work out but he is not up to it. As we have harped on about for years now Sparks, our midfield needs a massive improvement. I forgot what's it's like to have someone in there that actually impacts the game.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

And sorba may give him a nudge but if Berge leaves Sheff united then you know there’s only one place he’s going. Berge will be sold late on, we will hang around and Sheff will swoop in on the last minute.

Yeah maybe Sorba's loan move was all part of the masterplan? Now it makes sense! Get him in and O' Brien follows as a result...Greggy you diabolical!😉

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Does he fit into our new playing out style?

Do we have a style? He can play the ball better than any of our current defenders which we seem to be adamant on doing for 90% of a game. So yeah, him and hyam would be a solid pairing for this league. You could even add Wharton into that, because he was brilliant last season in a back three.

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I couldn't disagree more. Maybe the expectation in summer was that play offs were not probable given the mess Mowbray and Waggott left us in. However having unexpectedly reached in January in the play off positions, you HAVE to give it a go. Otherwise, what is the point of the football Club existing in the first place? There is none.

Secondly, you can't absolutely guarantee success at any point, whether or not you claim to be following some nebulous long term plan (which in reality is probably only a ruse to keep certain individuals on the gravy train for as long as possible anyway) If an opportunity unexpectedly arises in the meantime, even if it's earlier than anticipated, you HAVE to try and go for it.

I agree for sure regarding your point about opportunities. Surely this lack of ambition and the blame lies predominantly at the owners door though?

We was hardly in a mess in the summer, we finished 8th and lost 3 senior players who we replaced. One of those players could have earnt a decent fee had the owners not intervened, we could have also sold Brereton and had lots more money to play around with, instead this is the second window in a good position that we have spent begging for loans.

16 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Definitely. But would he fit the style JDT wants us to play? Not the best passer of a ball I've seen.

Neither are the majority of our defensive and midfield players but it doesn't stop him trying!