BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Ajax (huh?) @ Marbella

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

Only if the players have the ability to play that way. Sadly not all ours do, that is why we are a championship side.

I believe the players do have the ability to play it at this level. Players like Morton, Hyam, Scott Wharton can play passing out from the back. Players need the confidence of the head coach, but also depends on the game situation. I wouldn't be playing out from the back in tight game when we are winning 1 nil in 85 minutes for example. 

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I believe the players do have the ability to play it at this level. Players like Morton, Hyam, Scott Wharton can play passing out from the back. Players need the confidence of the head coach, but also depends on the game situation. I wouldn't be playing out from the back in tight game when we are winning 1 nil in 85 minutes for example. 

A system based tactic, is still the same no matter what the state of the game. If you believe that our players are good enough to play a system for 90% of a game, why should that change in the last 10%. Personally I do not think enough of our first team players are good enough to play the system to it's full potential. If we lose the ball on the edge of our box, the opposition are more likely to score, than if we lose the ball in their half. That will apply no matter what time the game is at. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rigger said:

A system based tactic, is still the same no matter what the state of the game. If you believe that our players are good enough to play a system for 90% of a game, why should that change in the last 10%. Personally I do not think enough of our first team players are good enough to play the system to it's full potential. If we lose the ball on the edge of our box, the opposition are more likely to score, than if we lose the ball in their half. That will apply no matter what time the game is at. 

The ability to adapt the game plan to the game situation like the one I highlighted previously. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why Bruce? Surely we should play like JDT wants us to?

What does that even mean? Obviously we will play like JDT wants us to. That doesn't necessarily make it the most effective way. Your quoted sentence is not a counter argument.

For what its worth, I also don't think that we are well suited to playing it out from the back, our team is technically limited.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That doesn't necessarily make it the most effective way. Your quoted sentence is not a counter argument.

For what its worth, I also don't think that we are well suited to playing it out from the back, our team is technically limited.

I think we can play out from the back in right circumstances and it about being adaptable and understanding the game situation. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Playing out from the back we’ll concede more goals from it than we score from it. I thought JDT called it the “ Dutch disease “ ?

• Like 5

Watched the Ajax game, entertaining and really good performance from Rovers, especially in the second half which they dominate. Ajax had 5-6 regulars, as well experienced Steekelburg in goal. Had a couple of youngsters who they spent 5 and 12 mill pounds for in the summer. The rest plays in the second tier in the Dutch league.

Rovers had a similar setup, while our regulars are playing Championship, not Champions league, and the bit-part players most play U21 football.

Buckley was back to his best, Dolan and Brittain was also great, while the rest had decent matches. A shoutout to Rankin-Costello who performed suprisingly well in centre-mid. Some really nice football displayed by Rovers, which showed their abilities when the intensity is a bit lower than Championship football. Although it was a training match, and Ajax was not to keen on the dirty stuff, it was still comforting to see Rovers turning it on against a better side(at least on paper).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Extended highlights available from the Ajax website: https://english.ajax.nl/articles/highlights-ajax-blackburn-rovers-ajax-loses-in-spain/

Takeaways from that compilation, for me, are Dolan's excellent finishes, some nice passes from Buckley and some very poor finishing from Ajax.

What I took away from that was, If you piss about with the ball in your own box, you will give away chances.  

• Like 1