BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (a) - 28/02/23 (FA Cup 5th Round)

1 hour ago, superniko said:

Ball number 2 tonight....i'll take the worst team left in at home please, if we're cursed and get a tough away day then i'll take Spurs. Great new stadium, big allocation, day session, and they can still look like an incredibly average team at times.

Would absolutely hate Burnley in either the next round or semi/final...couldn't take it.

Winners of Southampton v Grimsby has to be the one to get ....please !!!!

• Like 1

Just thinking back - one of the highlights for me . That long raking ball from the right hand side of our defence ( Carter ? ) over to Dolan on the far right hand side of their half. Dolan had it under his spell in an instant and was on the run all in the same movement on a very slick pitch. Not easy to do. Class from both young players. I thought Carter hardly put a foot wrong last night.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

Hyam was massive last night, every time a ball came in I took it for granted he would be on the end of it. What a signing. 

On the upturn in results it definitely coincides with JRC's form, he gives us the ability to bring the ball out when under pressure. He seems to inspire confidence in others too. It also coincides with Dack moving and offering for the ball, and the energy of Szomidcs. We didn't have this at the dingle dome disaster and over Christmas.

This tika-taka system JDT plays is totally dependant on confidence and belief, the hardest thing to do as a player is play that killer forward pass into danger, after 10 sideways passes, under pressure from the crowd and the opposition and with little movement up front. Our lads aren't blessed with Brazil like levels of ability so they need a boost from somewhere. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Hyam was massive last night, every time a ball came in I took it for granted he would be on the end of it. What a signing. 

On the upturn in results it definitely coincides with JRC's form, he gives us the ability to bring the ball out when under pressure. He seems to inspire confidence in others too. It also coincides with Dack moving and offering for the ball, and the energy of Szomidcs. We didn't have this at the dingle dome disaster and over Christmas.

This tika-taka system JDT plays is totally dependant on confidence and belief, the hardest thing to do as a player is play that killer forward pass into danger, after 10 sideways passes, under pressure from the crowd and the opposition and with little movement up front. Our lads aren't blessed with Brazil like levels of ability so they need a boost from somewhere. 

JRC has the ability under pressure to take the ball on the turn, with tight control and move effortlessly into space. He then has the eye for the pass and the ability to deliver it. Not many players can do that

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

JRC has the ability under pressure to take the ball on the turn, with tight control and move effortlessly into space. He then has the eye for the pass and the ability to deliver it. Not many players can do that

Exactly, he needs wrapping in cotton wool. I think other players see it and it gives them a boost though, what do you think? If you see a teammate beating the opposition like that it only breeds confidence, we don't get "stuck" at the back and it stops the pressure ramping up on every pass. He royally took the piss last night on a few occasions, it was amazing to see. 

Just now, Groundhog said:

Exactly, he needs wrapping in cotton wool. I think other players see it and it gives them a boost though, what do you think? If you see a teammate beating the opposition like that it only breeds confidence, we don't get "stuck" at the back and it stops the pressure ramping up on every pass. He royally took the piss last night on a few occasions, it was amazing to see. 

He got crocked making a brilliant tackle out by the touch line. Just a shame as he was going so well. I’d be surprised if he plays at the weekend.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The first thing I noticed when I got on the ground was how lush the pitch looked. When players made sliding tackles there were no divots and the rain made it really slick. I actually think we were better suited to the pitch and conditions than Leicester. My fear from that is that Ewood might impede us from playing the way we did given the soft and sandy surface and the more obvious consequence of soft tissue injuries.

People used to say this about our pitch in the 90s, sure it won awards for best playing surface , sadly another sign of our decline the past 20 odd years 

1 minute ago, Groundhog said:

Which is why he isn't a right back - and he's wasted in that position. He isn't a natural defender. Rovers have probably played him there at times because there was no one else but his skill and confidence is shining through now and he needs to play in midfield. His kind of skill can unlock defences 

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just thinking back - one of the highlights for me . That long raking ball from the right hand side of our defence ( Carter ? ) over to Dolan on the far right hand side of their half. Dolan had it under his spell in an instant and was on the run all in the same movement on a very slick pitch. Not easy to do. Class from both young players. I thought Carter hardly put a foot wrong last night.

Carter was my man of the match

Had Jamie Vardy on toast 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I understand the reasons for the “ passing out from the back “ strategy and it worked well for us last night on a fast pitch made for passing. You create space further up the pitch by drawing the opposition deep into your half. It didn’t work too well for Leicester on the same pitch though. 

The difference being that our midfielders were taking the ball on the half-turn, then turning away from their markers and into space. This then gives them time to pick forward passes. Leicesters mid-field were doing what we have been doing most of the season. Receiving the ball from the defence facing their own goal, then playing the ball back into the danger zone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Carter was my man of the match

Had Jamie Vardy on toast 

Could honestly have been about 5 different players worthy of motm, travis would have got mine just for his game management , thought he was crucial when we started to come under the cosh

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rigger said:

The difference being that our midfielders were taking the ball on the half-turn, then turning away from their markers and into space. This then gives them time to pick forward passes. Leicesters mid-field were doing what we have been doing most of the season. Receiving the ball from the defence facing their own goal, then playing the ball back into the danger zone.

This. It was pure desire from our lads

2 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

What a first half attacking performance, wave after wave of attacks Rovers should have been 4-0 up at the break. This team has Premier written all over it, the young players from last season are coming of age.

It was a great night, but let's not get carried away 😃 I wonder how many of those that are now grudgingly on the JDT train after a few good performances will be jumping off again as soon as we inevitably lose a few?

It would be nice if fans generally could accept that this is actually a project, through which we are gradually improving, and just be happy about it. But I suspect many will be too fickle for that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Think it's also amazing to see the football we can produce on a decent pitch... got to be an area of concern for JDT over summer.

Cup runs alone so far have probably netted us over £1m vs usual TM season.......chuck that bonus pot towards a new pitch (or £100 cheaper season tickets). Getting one more round is an additional £950k (£450k QF winner and £500k SF loser) minimum in prize money alone too.

1 minute ago, Reginald said:

It was a great night, but let's not get carried away 😃 I wonder how many of those that are now grudgingly on the JDT train after a few good performances will be jumping off again as soon as we inevitably lose a few?

It would be nice if fans generally could accept that this is actually a project, through which we are gradually improving, and just be happy about it. But I suspect many will be too fickle for that.

Can we improve gradually without it being a "project"?

I was feeling upbeat until then

What a game. Enjoyed last night more than any other match in the last 11 years.

For the first time in a very very long time I was able to forget about Venky's and the shambles behind the scenes at our club. It was all about the football and the occasion. Everyone contributed to a fantastic night.

It brought back the joy of being a Rovers' fan.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rigger said:

Filbert Street ?

Showing your age there perhaps? Filbert street was a great stadium in the old fashioned sense of the word - it radiated character and was a difficult place for opposing teams to go and get a result.

Much as I detest Wikipedia, perhaps it is a suitable place for this..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filbert_Street 

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Could honestly have been about 5 different players worthy of motm, travis would have got mine just for his game management , thought he was crucial when we started to come under the cosh

I thought he was good in that last 20 minutes when we were under  the cosh. Played a real captains role, not losing his cool, leading by example.

On another point entirely. How come their player stayed on the pitch when he kicked out at one of our players ?  Buckley got a red card for bouncing the ball on somebodies head !

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

Cup runs alone so far have probably netted us over £1m vs usual TM season.......chuck that bonus pot towards a new pitch (or £100 cheaper season tickets). Getting one more round is an additional £950k (£450k QF winner and £500k SF loser) minimum in prize money alone too.

Looking at that pitch last night - what would Ewood have been like with that rain ? The quality of what you’re playing on makes a massive difference. It’s the difference between playing one touch football in areas and having to take an extra touch just to be sure the ball is where you want it to be.

• Like 3