BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (a) - 28/02/23 (FA Cup 5th Round)

The JDT bandwagon rolls into Leicester on Tuesday night for what should be an exciting prospect for Rovers fans, a rare trip into FA Cup 6th round for the winners! The last time we made it that far into the cup was the Liverpool game under Bowyer, which we had every chance to win, but blew the replay at Ewood against an extremely poor Liverpool side over the 2 games.

Leicester's league form has been indifferent of late, but they can still lay claim to hammering both Villa and Spurs in February after sneaking past Walsall in the last round of the FA Cup.

If Leicester play the full strength side this could be a bridge to far for Rovers, but if Rodgers decides to shuffles his pack its very much game on.

How many tickets have we sold? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

The JDT bandwagon rolls into Leicester on Tuesday night for what should be an exciting prospect for Rovers fans, a rare trip into FA Cup 6th round for the winners! The last time we made it that far into the cup was the Liverpool game under Bowyer, which we had every chance to win, but blew the replay at Ewood against an extremely poor Liverpool side over the 2 games.

Leicester's league form has been indifferent of late, but they can still lay claim to hammering both Villa and Spurs in February after sneaking past Walsall in the last round of the FA Cup.

If Leicester play the full strength side this could be a bridge to far for Rovers, but if Rodgers decides to shuffles his pack its very much game on.

How many tickets have we sold? 

Are you going Gav? Club have done well with the subsidised tickets tbf. Should be a good following. 

• K-Hod pinned this topic

The cup runs have been invaluable for the development of the young players. The cull at the end of last season has meant that instead of having to give senior players match time in cup matches , Tomasson has given the young players more proper game time than they could have imagined,and they haven't let the club and supporters down. 

Despite the worries from some about the squad for this season, it has proved to be perfect for Tomasson and Broughton. 

We might just surprise Leicester on Tuesday. 

We've got our tickets and are looking forward to this one

I hope and fully expect Tomasson to play a full strength team, and in view of yesterday's performance that means, barring injuries, starting with the team that played at QPR

I do not expect to see fringe players picked and to do so would be an insult to Rovers fans who have made the effort to attend and the competition

Leicester have some very dangerous players such as Maddison, Barnes and Tielemens and it will be a big test for the team

Predicting a scoreline is futile. The pressure for league points is off and I'm just hoping the Rovers players give a good account of themselves. A repeat of the excitement and fun at West Ham in the league cup would be jolly good 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

We've got our tickets and are looking forward to this one

I hope and fully expect Tomasson to play a full strength team, and in view of yesterday's performance that means, barring injuries, starting with the team that played at QPR

I do not expect to see fringe players picked and to do so would be an insult to Rovers fans who have made the effort to attend and the competition

Leicester have some very dangerous players such as Maddison, Barnes and Tielemens and it will be a big test for the team

Predicting a scoreline is futile. The pressure for league points is off and I'm just hoping the Rovers players give a good account of themselves. A repeat of the excitement and fun at West Ham in the league cup would be jolly good 

The manager must prioritise the game on Saturday over this one which should mean several fringe players are selected - as they were for the win at West Ham. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The manager must prioritise the game on Saturday over this one which should mean several fringe players are selected - as they were for the win at West Ham. 

Disagree.  League points dropped can be retrieved

This is a one-off game. A quarter-final of the FA Cup is at stake. The last eight. Two games from a Wembley FA Cup final for the first time since 1960. The chance to make some club history

Nothing should be more important than that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

This is a one-off game. A quarter-final of the FA Cup is at stake. The last eight. Two games from a Wembley FA Cup final for the first time since 1960. The chance to make some club history

Promotion is far more important than that. 

I hope JDT strikes a balance with his team selection. Some key players need to rested. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Promotion is far more important than that. 

I hope JDT strikes a balance with his team selection. Some key players need to rested. 

We're not going to make the top 2.

We've 12 more games left, 36 points at stake. When we've thrown points away already in so many games, one game over the course of the season is unlikely to make the difference between reaching the play-offs or not.

Teams chasing honours don't rest their best players, and the best players would want to be playing anyway

Tomasson has a moral duty to fans and the integrity of the FA Cup to field his strongest team

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Lose on Tuesday and we are out of the cup. Lose on Saturday and we are still in the play-off race.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 3

I would like us to go strong, its a chance to continue with momentum and also if we win we are a game from Wembley.

There are changes we could make without unduly weakening us just to freshen things up. Thomas can't play so bring Hedges in. Brereton also should play at the weekend so maybe give him a cameo at most, and Pickering could come in for whichever full back is deemed to need a rest the most, which could be either for different reasons. And bring in Adam Wharton over Buckley.

That way you have Brereton, Buckley, Thomas and Rankin Costello or Brittain well rested for the weekend. We have 24 hours extra rest and Sheff United I would assume would go fairly strong against Spurs.

I dont want to see the likes of Edun, Vale and Garrett chucked in and the white flag held aloft before we kick off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would like us to go strong, its a chance to continue with momentum and also if we win we are a game from Wembley.

There are changes we could make without unduly weakening us just to freshen things up. Thomas can't play so bring Hedges in. Brereton also should play at the weekend so maybe give him a cameo at most, and Pickering could come in for whichever full back is deemed to need a rest the most, which could be either for different reasons. And bring in Adam Wharton over Buckley.

That way you have Brereton, Buckley, Thomas and Rankin Costello or Brittain well rested for the weekend. We have 24 hours extra rest and Sheff United I would assume would go fairly strong against Spurs.

I dont want to see the likes of Edun, Vale and Garrett chucked in and the white flag held aloft before we kick off.

Those 3 players you mention in the last line of your post were all "chucked in" for our win at West Ham so it doesn't have to be a case of holding the white flag aloft.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

This is a one-off game. A quarter-final of the FA Cup is at stake. The last eight. Two games from a Wembley FA Cup final for the first time since 1960. The chance to make some club history and win a £225,000 prize.

Hope you'll accept my addition to your post @jim mk2. Given our recent legal expenses, it could come in useful.

• Like 1

I heard on the radio that Maddison and Tielemans are carrying injuries so will probably not be risked by Brendan Rogers.

Having said that, with a Premier League squad they will still be quite formidable opposition at home, even if we play our strongest team. Hopefully they will rest a few more players.

Either way JDT should be sensible and use all the squad players available if they are fit. 

• Like 2

Glad its on ESPN plus here in the States😃

As far as squad selection goes, I think or at least hope that we will put out a pretty strong lineup. We should want to go as far in this competition as we can. Leicester might be a league above us but are far from a juggernaut. If we come out and play together and with energy, we can win this tie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

Are you going Gav? Club have done well with the subsidised tickets tbf. Should be a good following. 

Yes credit where credits due on the subsidised tickets. 

Not sure if we're going yet, are you making the trip?

Edited by Gav

The injuries we're carrying means that (unlike the West Ham game) we don't have a huge amount of scope to make changes, even if we wanted to. 

I'd expect maybe 2 or 3 changes from QPR. Hedges & Morton could well be in for a start. Possibly bring in Pickering for JRC too. It's great to see him finally stay fit for a decent spell, but I wouldn't want to push our luck too much before the run in. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we need to make 3 or 4 changes just to freshen it up. I do agree that others that the league is more important and getting a playoff place should be main priority this season

Given that Adam Wharton isn't part of the squad that travelled to QPR and is based at St Georges park with rest of the squad I don't see how he starts this game

Edited by chaddyrovers

20 minutes ago, rigger said:

Lose on Tuesday and we are out of the cup. Lose on Saturday and we are still in the play-off race.

I’m conflicted. Priority has to be the league but two wins away from Wembley can’t be overlooked. Hopefully a blend of youth and experience. I’d want to see Phillips get a start and possibly Garrett for Travis.

Cant downplay the significance of our league position so whatever way JDT decides to go, I’ll be ok with it. I was at the London Stadium when we fielded a ‘weaker’ side and look what happened.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

Yes credit where credits due on the subsidised tickets. 

Not sure if we're going yet, are you making the trip?

Just back from Abu Dhabi and haven’t booked any time off work yet so going to sound my boss out tomorrow to see if he’ll let me finish early on Tuesday. If he will then I’ll head over. 

• Like 2