BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (a) - 28/02/23 (FA Cup 5th Round)

Going into the U23's now at Rovers for a stint or an odd game isn't really being 'dropped' under JDT's approach.

He's giving them games and keeping them busy and sharpening their tools so they are ready for when needed again.  Some guys who are out of form get opportunity to play themselves back into it as well away from fist team pressure.

Not sure if other clubs have this approach but its been quite revolutionary here imo and refreshing change. Keeps them all involved and up to speed and they know the thinking behind it even if they are pissed off about it.  One of the best aspects of his time here even when the football wasn't very good.

Of course it's made possible by having a young squad many of who have come from there and would still be there under a different culture.

We wanted and needed something a bit different and slowly we look like we are getting it even though there'll be more bumps along the way.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 7

Really hope JRC isnt badly injured. The performances recently from him at right-back are staggeringly good(like a Real Madrid player).

Even if injury-prone Id be tempted to get a contract extension signed up.

Early days I know, but he looks even better than Henning Berg: perhaps up there with Keith Newton?

Of course,

Rovers greatest ever-player was a right-back.......Bob Crompton.

(Alan Shearer clearly the best in the last few decades).

1 hour ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Really hope JRC isnt badly injured. The performances recently from him at right-back are staggeringly good(like a Real Madrid player).

Even if injury-prone Id be tempted to get a contract extension signed up.

Early days I know, but he looks even better than Henning Berg: perhaps up there with Keith Newton?

Of course,

Rovers greatest ever-player was a right-back.......Bob Crompton.

(Alan Shearer clearly the best in the last few decades).

Did you ever see Newton play ? The guy was a Rolls Royce of a fullback. Nobody since has come near. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I do think they need to offer a live stream or an alternate way of watching the whole game now they play the same day as the first team

Believe the U21s will now play the day before/after the first team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Did you ever see Newton play ? The guy was a Rolls Royce of a fullback. Nobody since has come near. 

My favourite Newton trick was when he used to take the ball with a sliding tackle, then stood up and carried on going forward  with the ball he'd just won. Meanwhile the forlorn attacker  was still  on the deck! He did this over and over again.

Lesser full-backs gave away a throw-in, he somehow kept the ball close to him.

Edited by 47er

Yes indeed I did Tyrone. Keith Newton was far better than Henning Berg(in the Premier League winning side).    Not totally off-topic as I was commenting on JRCs performance against Leicester.

That was the most magical performance from a right-back since the Newton era.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Bob Crompton was winning trophies and medals for Blackburn Rovers before Man.Utd were even invented!

1 hour ago, 47er said:

My favourite Newton trick was when he used to take the ball with a sliding tackle, then stood up and carried on going forward  with the ball he'd just won. Meanwhile the forlorn attacker  was still  on the deck! He did this over and over again.

Lesser full-backs gave away a throw-in, he somehow kept the ball close to him.

There weren’t many players that you could watch and say “ He hasn’t got a weakness “ but Keith was one. He was fast, great in the tackle, good on the ball, strong in the air, calm under pressure and completely two footed to the degree he could play either left or right back equally well. He was good enough on the ball that we played him in midfield from time to time.

The most heartening feature of the game was the composed defence playing slick, first-touch passes out of defence without causing the chaos Leicester did when they tried it (repeatedly!).

Somehow over the last few weeks we seem to have come a long way. Commentators thought we looked Premier League already!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

My favourite Newton trick was when he used to take the ball with a sliding tackle, then stood up and carried on going forward  with the ball he'd just won. 

We call that a "Sam Gallagher" now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Yes indeed I did Tyrone. Keith Newton was far better than Henning Berg(in the Premier League winning side).    Not totally off-topic as I was commenting on JRCs performance against Leicester.

That was the most magical performance from a right-back since the Newton era.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Bob Crompton was winning trophies and medals for Blackburn Rovers before Man.Utd were even invented!

Manchester United were formed as Newton Heath in 1878 and changed their name in 1902 so I don't think that's quite right.

3 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Have to disagree Mash,  Manchester United only became Man Utd in 1902(brand change obviously)so our large collection of  F.A.Cup wins were when they were Newton Heath.

Either way can you imagine their large horde of "glory hunters" showing the magnaminity  in defeat that Leicester fans showed?

Harry, Bob Crompton wasn't in the FA Cup winning teams - although he managed the team that won the Cup in 1928 - but he captained the title winning teams of 1912 and 1914.

14 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Have to disagree Mash,  Manchester United only became Man Utd in 1902(brand change obviously)so our large collection of  F.A.Cup wins were when they were Newton Heath.

Either way can you imagine their large horde of "glory hunters" showing the magnaminity  in defeat that Leicester fans showed?

Thinking about it, perhaps you were thinking of Jimmy Forrest who did play in all the FA Cup wins in the 19th century.

Just now, harryhealless1928 said:

You are correct.

My point that Bob Crompton was the most important footballer in Rovers history stands.

Yes, I think pretty much everybody recognises him as the most important footballer in the club's history, and given his length of service and success he can reasonably be regarded as the greatest figure in the club's history.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2023 at 18:21, roversfan99 said:

Is it you in a time warp from February? 

Another strange comment given my opinion on him and the fact I have backed JDT since day 1 and I haven't once waived from thinking he is improvement on previous manager/head coach and he is improved this team

I am still buzzing from Leicester City win and I am still so proud to be Rovers fan and the way this head coach and players performed was outstanding

I don't remember any discussion on this but there were a lot of posts and I was skimming, but----how on earth did Mendy escape a red card? Ref saw it but gave a yellow! Utterly incredible. Mandy kicked out at Travis when the ball wasn't in play and the two were walking side by side.

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, 47er said:

I don't remember any discussion on this but there were a lot of posts and I was skimming, but----how on earth did Mendy escape a red card? Ref saw it but gave a yellow! Utterly incredible. Mandy kicked out at Travis when the ball wasn't in play and the two were walking side by side.

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Even worse when you consider VAR was available. Ref misses something which was blatantly a red, a clear and obvious error... what reason was there not to use VAR to confirm it was a sending off? Particularly when they showed replays of the incident on TV.

• Like 2