BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) 10/4/23 @ 12.30pm

9 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Two suggestions I'd have would be anytime physios are on the pitch the clock is stopped and alternative punishments for certain forms of time wasting. Yellow cards are an insufficient punishment as often players are given multiple warnings before one is dished out and you never see a second yellow for time wasting. The reward outweighs the punishment.

One alternative punishment would be if during substitutions a player has not left the pitch within 20 seconds, the replacement is effectively in a sin-bin for 5 minutes. 

Another being, during restarts if the ball isn't back in play within say 20 seconds the restart is given to the opposition. Same with corners changing to a goal kick, or a goal kick to a corner. 

If there are any mitigating circumstances like a player carrying an injury, the ref has authority to step in and stop the clock. 

I'm not a fan of stopping the clock each time the ball goes out of play, but simple punishments such as turnovers of possession would hugely speed the game up and increase the quality of the product. JDT is correct when he says fans have paid money to watch, so play football. 

Somebody a few years ago did a count on how long the ball was actually in play. It was astoundingly low, something around just over half the game!. Fans pay for 90 mins, its a rip-off.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 47er said:

Somebody a few years ago did a count on how long the ball was actually in play. It was astoundingly low, something around just over half the game!. Fans pay for 90 mins, its a rip-off.

We played Bolton in a Friday night live Sky match and the ball was in play for 48 minutes. I think the game unsurprisingly finished 0-0. Time wasting or consuming is an area which has gradually got worse and allowed to fester to such a degree no amount of additional time is surprising. If Collina gets his way (he bloody well should as he's the FIFA Head of Refereeing) it will change.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12830009/one-goal-could-make-a-difference-fifa-head-of-refs-pierluigi-collina-wants-correct-added-time-even-if-score-is-7-0

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It is a tough run-in in general, but is Hull and Coventry at home as the next two a fiendishly difficult way to start?

Mess them up and it’s probably all over, but get a couple of wins with a load of top 6 rivals to then play, we’ll have every chance.

One thing about playing your rivals - all the games are 6 pointers. Win and as well as doing yourself a favour you do them down.

If we do make the play offs these are the teams we’ll be playing. We might as well get used to beating them now.

• Like 3

Not seen a player grab a game by the scruff of the neck like JRC in that second half yesterday for a long long time.

That lad really wants it it's a pity a few others don't show the same, Dolan as well was at it all game. Not his best footballing wise but he was a nuisance for them pressing and niggling from start till he went off.

Surely the time is approaching to start JRC in the middle or right side attacking midfielder or something as he is showing real ability to cause problems in and around the oppositions box.  Could give us the extra dimension we are lacking in the first half of too many games again.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not seen a player grab a game by the scruff of the neck like JRC in that second half yesterday for a long long time.

That lad really wants it it's a pity a few others don't show the same, Dolan as well was at it all game. Not his best footballing wise but he was a nuisance for them pressing and niggling from start till he went off.

Surely the time is approaching to start JRC in the middle or right side attacking midfielder or something as he is showing real ability to cause problems in and around the oppositions box.  Could give us the extra dimension we are lacking in the first half of too many games again.

He played the whole 90 mins yesterday, not his usual 70 minutes. Maybe his fitness is improving after all the injuries ?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yesterday he actually played all those positions you mention anyway 😂😂. He just pops up everywhere and has been real asset since he came back in December. As someone rightly pointed out yesterday when Joe goes rampaging Carter slips across and covers the right side. Personally I would just leave him he at right back with a licence to roam.

One of my friends now calls him Joe Rankin Cancelo 😂😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Yesterday he actually played all those positions you mention anyway 😂😂. He just pops up everywhere and has been real asset since he came back in December. As someone rightly pointed out yesterday when Joe goes rampaging Carter slips across and covers the right side. Personally I would just leave him he at right back with a licence to roam.

One of my friends now calls him Joe Rankin Cancelo 😂😂

You’d think that Travis would drop back into that temporary position rather than Carter moving over. It leaves us 3 at the back on occasions.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You’d think that Travis would drop back into that temporary position rather than Carter moving over. It leaves us 3 at the back on occasions.

I much prefer it with Carter. He has played at right back (so has Travis to be fair) and is far more athletic. Yesterday in the second half we pretty much played with a back three anyway as Joe spent more time all over the pitch.

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agreed. I would bring in Brittain and get JRC further up the pitch as you suggest. We're in Trent territory with Joe because he's regularly leaving gaps at the back for teams to exploit - yet as is similar with TAA, he's currently our most effective player going forwards. Bit of a conundrum for JDT, but this is the most obvious solution.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Agreed. I would bring in Brittain and get JRC further up the pitch as you suggest. We're in Trent territory with Joe because he's regularly leaving gaps at the back for teams to exploit - yet as is similar with TAA, he's currently our most effective player going forwards. Bit of a conundrum for JDT, but this is the most obvious solution.

I’ve seen JRC play absolutely dreadfully at right wing back, central midfield, right wing, left wing and as a number 10. I’m still not entirely sure what position he’s playing but I see no reason to change it, especially to move him somewhere where he’s only ever been crap for us. 

• Like 1

Just now, J*B said:

I’ve seen JRC play absolutely dreadfully at right wing back, central midfield, right wing, left wing and as a number 10. I’m still not entirely sure what position he’s playing but I see no reason to change it, especially to move him somewhere where he’s only ever been crap for us. 

Performances in those positions were all before his upturn in form though, when he was shunted around everywhere and looked like he wanted to be anywhere else. He's got the confidence, swagger and hunger now.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I much prefer it with Carter. He has played at right back (so has Travis to be fair) and is far more athletic. Yesterday in the second half we pretty much played with a back three anyway as Joe spent more time all over the pitch.

I was thinking more against the better teams we’ll soon be playing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was thinking more against the better teams we’ll soon be playing.

Looking at the remaining fixtures I think we'll probably stick with this kamikaze style for all the games except maybe Burnley. Weve used it against Sheffield Utd twice already - one win one loss. So cant see us changing it for the likes of PNE or Millwall.

Extra body in midfield I do like, so hopefully we will keep that. But reckon JRC will continue as the most rogue "right back" in footballing history.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hes a bloody strange right back if so. Even Cafu used to focus on at least being on the right side.

JDT wants his FB's to come into midfield...but no idea why he ended up on the left-wing for the 1st goal, or in the box for the 2nd goal.

JDT's obviously gone Total Football!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Agree completely. I think JRC will play in those positions regardless of his starting position so JDT may as well play him there otherwise we leave a huge gap in RB as did at Norwich and concede a silly goal 

21 hours ago, lraC said:

It will take me a while to calm down from that. I had better get the scores on and hope we remain in to top 6 by the end of today.

I would have definitely taken a point at half time, but thought we bossed the second half, so much that we should have won it. They were playing like the away side and the amount of time they wasted, nearly cost them.

The big positive things form the day are Adam Wharton, starting and playing pretty well and giving Leonard a game.

JRC was my man of the match and his finish was sublime.

Hope we can win on Saturday and go into the derby with our tails up.

we are still in the mi here and need to believe.

I have been saying it for weeks, why not give Leonard his chance, Lo and behold he almost scores on his debut. I think its time to bring back Kaminski, Pears form has dipped at the crucial time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Living in the past there. Currently he's our best player----by a mile.

3 hours ago, J*B said:

If its not broken leave it alone

The problem with continuing to play JRC at RB but let him roam is that it's a relatively recent approach, at least in terms of how pronounced it has become. Soon enough, teams who do their research will know it creates huge gaps down our right and will exploit it. For that reason, I'd be in favour of giving him a shot in the middle, but in a similarly free-roaming capacity. It will still leave gaps at times, but where those gaps will be is less predictable as the midfield is a more dynamic area of the pitch. Not to mention if we are using 3 in there it's more easily covered. Seems better than having Carter cover the right and leaving the centre of defence stretched.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JohnD said:

If its not broken leave it alone

I remember hearing that in the summer of 95...didn't work out so great.

In fairness though, it can sometimes be the right approach. It's all situational though, you can't use that as some cast-iron rule. If you don't maintain something it will eventually become broken.

Edited by bluebruce

The more I watch replays of yesterdays second half performance, the more I think stick JRC up front in place of Gallagher. Put Brittain and Sorba on the flank. The lad isn't afraid to shoot and heads the ball well. He scored one and pretty much made one.

• Like 1