BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Leonard

I might be jumping the gun, creating a thread for him after a single 30 minute appearance, but I was impressed. 

Playing as a striker is the hardest position on the pitch. I thought he put himself around, held it up well, showed some good close control and was unlucky not to score with his snapshot. The biggest thing he showed though was confidence and bravery, looking like he belonged. 

Given our only other options are Gally or Dolan as a false 9, I'd be very happy to see him given a start in the next game. He was very promising.

• Like 9

Yep, no reason not to start him on Saturday. 

He was in and around the box - something we haven't seen for our strikers. Beyond the shot on the turn, he was there or there abouts at least three times in his thirty minutes:

• the ball that hit the post (was it a Morton through ball?) he was muscled out by the defender, but he was there
  • he reacted quickly to the save from JRC's header and was ready to slam it home if Hedges hadn't done so. 

Clearly has the right instincts and at least he runs. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The rest of the season is all about the next 6 games and every point is crucial. It's not about player development.

That being said, he has perhaps shown today that he could be a potential option off the bench to make a difference.

so you wouldn't start him against Hull then? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

so you wouldn't start him against Hull then? 

No.

I would start with the same midfield 3 and front 3 as today.

He was bright and unlike Vale, he actually has some attributes that I can see, quite quick and getting into goalscoring positions. But it wasn't an effective enough cameo to alter things when we created so much.

It is a hell of an ask going into such a critical last 6 games, it isn't the time for experimenting. He has shown enough to be a potential option off the bench though.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No.

interesting. I am undecided at the minute and depending on what formation might decide cos I like how midfield 3 and front 3 played but I would like Thomas back in the starting 11 cos of pace and width he gives the team. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He was bright, he actually has some attributes that I can see, quite quick and getting into goalscoring positions. But it wasn't an effective enough cameo to alter things when we created so much.

It is a hell of an ask going into such a critical last 6 games, it isn't the time for experimenting. He has shown enough to be a potential option off the bench though.

Yes he played well. If he does start I'm not sure its experimenting but picking someone in form and confidence is high  

• Like 1

I agree with those saying it's not the time for experimentation. We are firmly in the playoff hunt and it's all about points between now and the end of the season.

But... if I look at it objectively. I saw him hold it up today, his touch looked tight and he got himself into goalscoring positions. 3 things you need from a striker and 3 things Gally has rarely shown. Dolan can do a job but it isn't his position. So I'd stick Leonard in, based on what he showed in his cameo today. I think he earnt the chance, even though that's largely influenced by the lack of alternatives. You never know, he might fire us to the promised land. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No.

He was bright and unlike Vale, he actually has some attributes that I can see, quite quick and getting into goalscoring positions. But it wasn't an effective enough cameo to alter things when we created so much.

Agreed. When I said get him some more minutes in the final games of the season, I was meaning more off the bench (unless he puts in a performance worthy of a start). 

Yep, the main thing in these final games is picking up as many points as we can.

• Like 3

Gally looked gutted when the camera panned to him on the bench. 

Agreed Harry looks more of a natural striker based on those few minutes than either Gally or Vale.

It also looked to me watching through the cameras that Colin had told his defenders to give Harry a "welcome" to the Championship and Harry brushed off the intimidation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Agreed Harry looks more of a natural striker based on those few minutes than either Gally or Vale.

It also looked to me watching through the cameras that Colin had told his defenders to give Harry a "welcome" to the Championship and Harry brushed off the intimidation.

He didn't lack confidence---had quite a bit to say to other players and the ref! I like it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 47er said:

He didn't lack confidence---had quite a bit to say to other players and the ref! I like it!

Yes that stood out to me. Most 19 year olds on for their debut would be like little mice. Harry was the opposite; very vocal and not intimidated one bit. He's got something about him, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Got a good feeling watching Leonard yesterday. He looks like he can be a real handful, good movement and good positioning - a hunger for goals just oozes out of him.

It's clear that he's a natural striker and goal scorer, and that's literally all we've been missing. He may be young and inexperienced, but a fearless youngster looking to make a statement can't be a bad thing for this side.

Whatever the case, i'd feel more confident with him in front of goal than I would Gally or Vale - hope he starts against Hull!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Leonard only came on cos Gally was carrying a knock. 

10 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Looked decent in the time he had. Not sure I agree that he should start on Saturday but definitely deserves a chance off the bench.

Well who should start above him? Is there anybody capable of scoring from that central position.

19 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If you look at our last 6 games going into those 6 games though, we are 18th in the form table and our last three games read L, L, D. It quite possibly is a time to experiment, as what we've been doing lately hasn't worked.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Great to see Harry Leonard signing a four year deal with the club. His previous contract still had another two years left on it, so the club clearly see big things in him for the future. You could even argue he's the best number nine at the club.

I suspect the club would have wanted to send him out on loan to League One or League Two for the season, but if needs must, we may need to keep him around. Three goals in four during preseason, or thereabouts? One of the shining lights in the current cloud that shouldn't be ignored.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Great to see Harry Leonard signing a four year deal with the club. His previous contract still had another two years left on it, so the club clearly see big things in him for the future. You could even argue he's the best number nine at the club.

I suspect the club would have wanted to send him out on loan to League One or League Two for the season, but if needs must, we may need to keep him around. Three goals in four during preseason, or thereabouts? One of the shining lights in the current cloud that shouldn't be ignored.

Clubs an absolute shambles at the moment but they've at least sorted out some new contracts for quite a lot of the squad. 

Good to see Leonard signing up for the long term.