BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harry Leonard

18 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Clubs an absolute shambles at the moment but they've at least sorted out some new contracts for quite a lot of the squad. 

Good to see Leonard signing up for the long term.

It will be like an episode of bargain hunt next summer when we are trying to flog them all 

Seriously though he looks another with a bit about him,and another been at the club since 10 years old like Carter ,A.Wharton Buckley etc the club should be commended for turning out enough competent at this level players,and this current crop A.Wharton,Phillips ,Batty etc look a step up and ore breaking through at a younger age than the previous guys before them .The coaching and scouting department in our youth are top class to be fair 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He definitely has a bit of movement and can sniff out goals, hopefully that translates to senior competitive football as you dont teach that. Still very slight and soft and will struggle physically, understandable at his age so why we shouldnt have to rely on him.

He's not going to get any bigger - you have to accept that he's the type of striker who will have to rely on his movement and finishing to succeed at this level.

The work rate is there, from what I've seen so is the movement and the vision (could have had a second today if JRC had passed it rather than fired it across the box). He's only going to get better by playing senior football at this point - with how our transfer window has gone it looks like it'll be with us rather than on loan in League One. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's not going to get any bigger - you have to accept that he's the type of striker who will have to rely on his movement and finishing to succeed at this level.

The work rate is there, from what I've seen so is the movement and the vision (could have had a second today if JRC had passed it rather than fired it across the box). He's only going to get better by playing senior football at this point - with how our transfer window has gone it looks like it'll be with us rather than on loan in League One. 

Maybe just learn to use his body better as he ages. It isnt a criticism of him, he is so young and ultimately we shouldnt need too rely on him and if we are it is failings of the owners. He definitely has something about him so he certainly is a prospect who it is good to see tied down.

Glad to hear hes done well. First genuinely exciting striker prospect from the academy since Derbyshire? Or Gallagher? Or I suppose Joe Garner but I dont think he was ever seriously in the first squad picture?

Weve turned out a decent amount of gks, mids and defenders who have gone on to.have good careers in the last 20 years or so. But really struggled with strikers...

Found this interesting while thinking about this topic. Tracker of Rovers graduates.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/jugendarbeit/verein/164

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He won't get bigger, but you can always get stronger.

I'm sure we'd all agree Leonard probably isn't ready to be leading the line for us, though I would have liked to have seen him be given more opportunities this season. 

He does seem to have good positional awareness so I think he'll grab a few goals. I more worry about games when we're pinned back. I think he might get bullied if left isolated. Especially considering our wide forwards aren't going to be doing much to support him. 

Aside from his goal against Girona the major positive was that he didn't seem to tire. Looks to have a good level of fitness about him. Patience will be needed with him, but I'm relatively hopeful.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Found this interesting while thinking about this topic. Tracker of Rovers graduates.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/jugendarbeit/verein/164

There are three and a half pages of former youth players. I cannot find Phil Jones in there. Also I don't understand numbers of league games played when the have the likes of Dunn at 58.

31 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I enjoyed watching his celebration for both his and Markanday's goals yesterday.  

He has that aggressive cockiness that usually serves strikers well.

That was my first observation when I saw him against Huddersfield last season. He has an edge. Something about him. And as you say, that tends to serve strikers well.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

On 30/07/2023 at 10:08, ben_the_beast said:

He does seem to have good positional awareness so I think he'll grab a few goals. I more worry about games when we're pinned back. I think he might get bullied if left isolated. Especially considering our wide forwards aren't going to be doing much to support him. 

Example yesterday. where he protected the ball on half way and drew the foul so we could get out and up the pitch although I don't see him winning many headers.

Knowing where to be, when, is half the battle as a striker, and he seems to have that knack. I don't remember Gally having a game where he got himself in with as many really presentable chances as Leonard, and he's only just started playing games. Realistically, you're not gonna put every good chance away, but I'd have probably expected him to notch one of those two chances really. The second was trickier though. And his goal was very well taken, harder than the two misses.

I hope the two misses didn't undo the confidence boost of the goal. If he has the right head on his shoulders and carries on in this vein, he'll be a very handy player for us this season.

• Like 3

I thought Leonard was really good on Saturday up against two huge centre halves. I can't recall either of them having a clean header. Although he didn't win too many headers he challenged them both and didn't allow too many headed passes. His work rate was prodigious as he pressed high and occasionally dropped a bit deeper to put challenges in. In the interviews he has done he seems such a mature young man and willing to listen and learn.

• Like 5

On 30/07/2023 at 06:50, Exiled_Rover said:

Plenty of top strikers have scored plenty without being physically imposing-----Greaves being the most obvious example. Aways in the right place at the right time.

Early days yet but indications are that Leonard has the nous to be like that.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1