BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship 23/24

I fully agree with it. Huddersfield last year was a joke, the ball was barely in play in the 2nd half and they did everything they could to kill our momentum. Seem to remember that despite this, only 4 minutes were added on. It should have been 10! I genuinely think if the referee did his job properly we win that game 3-2.

There will be some silly amounts of added on time, but hopefully that will just serve to clamp down on the time wasting us fans are subjected to. No doubt it will get a lot of airtime and quietly be reneged upon by Christmas.

Reminds me of some of the other rules that were quietly dropped - does anyone remember when dissent (I think?) would result in the free kick moving forward another 10 yards? Not always helpful but that seemed to disappear overnight. 

32 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

I fully agree with it. Huddersfield last year was a joke, the ball was barely in play in the 2nd half and they did everything they could to kill our momentum. Seem to remember that despite this, only 4 minutes were added on. It should have been 10! I genuinely think if the referee did his job properly we win that game 3-2.

There will be some silly amounts of added on time, but hopefully that will just serve to clamp down on the time wasting us fans are subjected to. No doubt it will get a lot of airtime and quietly be reneged upon by Christmas.

Reminds me of some of the other rules that were quietly dropped - does anyone remember when dissent (I think?) would result in the free kick moving forward another 10 yards? Not always helpful but that seemed to disappear overnight. 

In that Huddersfield match four minutes were shown (that is the minimum btw), their keeper was cautioned for delaying the restart and some other Warnock traits were shown but bang on four minutes were played. Luton and Burnley were similar. As I said this delaying the restart had become a cancer in our game essentially through referees not applying law. Howard Webb has threatened to discipline referees who don't comply.

The moving the ball forward for dissent was only a trial and never actually written into law. I remember using this in a game at Bristol City when Noel Blake screamed at me. He was more upset at the ball being moved forwards than the yellow card. I always felt that this trial should have been implemented into law as I remember being at a meeting and the group of referees all gave positive feedback.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 5

The rules which I hope really stick are yellow cards for time wasting and players staying off the pitch if they revieve treatment. Personally I'd have liked to have seen this be 1 minute rather than 30 seconds. 

I'm happy the added time will be more reflective of what has been wasted. Large amounts of added time are less of a stain on the game than clubs killing matches by wasting time. However, the amounts are going to end up being ridiculous. Imagine if Preston had been leading in the first half! There does need to be a balance. 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

We were so much on top in these matches I was sure in my own mind that had the correct time been added we would have won or drawn

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

I think it works in our favour to keep our momentum in-play.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but I do think we've been culprits in recent times (had to be, if you can't beat em, join em).

There's been quite a few games we had at least 3 players hit the deck for treatment from 86 mins onwards. Didn't we also have a player or two booked in the first half for time-wasting? Takes some doing that.

Would we have lost some more points if we hadn't employed those tactics?  

I'm on board with the changes. Needs done for the benefit of football as an entertainment spectator sport.

Just not sure I agree with the theory it will work to our benefit and help us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silas said:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but I do think we've been culprits in recent times (had to be, if you can't beat em, join em).

There's been quite a few games we had at least 3 players hit the deck for treatment from 86 mins onwards. Didn't we also have a player or two booked in the first half for time-wasting? Takes some doing that.

Would we have lost some more points if we hadn't employed those tactics?  

I'm on board with the changes. Needs done for the benefit of football as an entertainment spectator sport.

Just not sure I agree with the theory it will work to our benefit and help us. 

Absolutely we have done it in the past probably in the knowledge that all of the time wasted wouldn't get added on. There have been many edicts down the years which have fizzled out but this feels different. 

• Like 1

Indeed, @Silas. All teams do it because, if you don't, you miss out. That is entirely on the footballing authorities. I don't think anybody can blame us for doing what every other team does to gain an edge, except therein lies the paradox; nobody really gains an edge at all.

The authorities are dreadful at enhancing the game when they reluctantly try to solve a problem. I suspect it will be tweaked, similar to how the awful introduction to VAR was tweaked, over time.

• Like 1

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I'm old enough to remember when kicking the ball away got you booked. So what happened to it.

It's back!

Already been a few booked this 1st weekend. 

And tbh, one of them only tapped it about 5 yards.

Looks like they're going to be really clamping down.

Retro. 

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There have been many edicts down the years which have fizzled out but this feels different. 

Just need to address the pathetic 'shepherding' the ball out of play and I'll be happy.

Don't get it. You block off someone in midfield when not in possession of the ball and it's obstruction. 

But do it in the defending 3rd and somehow it's a legitimate tactic.

Winds me up no end. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Just watched brief highlights of all the games. Great to see Swansea conceding a ridiculous goal on opening day by pissing about with it in their own area. It's like the summer never happened!

Both Ipswich and Sunderland got caught out messing around like this as well. The Dutch Disease is spreading.

4 hours ago, 47er said:

I posted on this topic a few months ago after stats were produced showing that the ball was in play for forty minutes of the 90 quite often and a few games went below 40 minutes.

Regardless of the outcome for any particular team, fans are/were being cheated. Football is expensive and we deserve better than that.

If footballers want to play for 90 minutes or just over, stop the cheating.

40 minutes seems low. I saw a table in one of the papers not too long ago showing Premier League teams average ball in play time. City were top at 65 ish, Newcastle bottom at 58 ish. 

I had a look and haven't found it yet but I did find this; Premier League in play 2012-2023

It shows the in play average is about 56 minutes. Surely the Championship is similar, or I'd wager even higher.

30 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

40 minutes seems low. I saw a table in one of the papers not too long ago showing Premier League teams average ball in play time. City were top at 65 ish, Newcastle bottom at 58 ish. 

I had a look and haven't found it yet but I did find this; Premier League in play 2012-2023

It shows the in play average is about 56 minutes. Surely the Championship is similar, or I'd wager even higher.

It decreases as you go down the leagues, the Prem average was 55 minutes, Champ 52 minutes, League One 50 minutes and League Two 48 minutes.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It decreases as you go down the leagues, the Prem average was 55 minutes, Champ 52 minutes, League One 50 minutes and League Two 48 minutes.   

I thought the opposite would have been the case. 

I wonder why? Less skill means more bad passes?

• Like 1

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I thought the opposite would have been the case. 

I wonder why? Less skill means more bad passes?

My uneducated guess would be something along those lines - lower league, lower skills, maybe more long balls from the defenders and punts up the pitch from the goalies, leading to the ball bouncing off the pitch more often.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember when the latest edict was - penalties to be given for defenders holding on at corners or free kicks. Andre Oojer did it in his first game and gave away a pen. After that weekend it was business as usual and I never saw another player penalised for that offence again.

Thing is when one door closes coaches would then work on getting a new door opened. They will work on it with their players and in no time it's the new norm. It's been like this for ever.

• Like 1

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember when the latest edict was - penalties to be given for defenders holding on at corners or free kicks. Andre Oojer did it in his first game and gave away a pen. After that weekend it was business as usual and I never saw another player penalised for that offence again.

Yep, don't forget the scandalous penalty against Chris Samba in August 2011 for Everton to win 1-0.

That was due to a directive that refs were going to be much stricter on defenders 'riding' backs on clearance headers.

Samba deemed to have done that to Fellaini - he didn't! 

But I was fine with it because I thought we'd get loads of penalties when opposing teams did it to Samba on our corners. 

Did we get a single one all season while defenders literally piggy backed on him? - did we bollocks!

These edicts are only fair if done consistently throughout the season. Not in a little spurt at the start. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Silas said:

Yep, don't forget the scandalous penalty against Chris Samba in August 2011 for Everton to win 1-0.

That was due to a directive that refs were going to be much stricter on defenders 'riding' backs on clearance headers.

Samba deemed to have done that to Fellaini - he didn't! 

But I was fine with it because I thought we'd get loads of penalties when opposing teams did it to Samba on our corners. 

Did we get a single one all season while defenders literally piggy backed on him? - did we bollocks!

These edicts are only fair if done consistently throughout the season. Not in a little spurt at the start. 

If I remember correctly we missed two penalties of our own that day, I was bloody raging walking off Ewood!

• Like 3

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If I remember correctly we missed two penalties of our own that day, I was bloody raging walking off Ewood!

Yep. Tbf our pens were a bit divey.

But regardless we battered them for 90 mins, and it felt an injustice to lose to such a dodgy decision. 

I'm still raging. 

• Like 1