BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

9 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I don't care who wins the premier league just as long as it's not spurs.

Shit club with actual shit fans.

They won't. They'll revert to type soon enough. Luck and easy games have propelled their good start. 

They've beaten Bournemouth, Luton, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Man U (who aren't good), and were very much looking second best against Liverpool until VAR intervened.

They also got knocked out of the Carabao cup by Fulham. 

• Like 2

On 02/10/2023 at 18:58, Aqualung said:

RIP to Franny Lee BTW. 

It wouldn't be a surprise to me if that famous punch up between him and Norman Hunter got reviewed and both players stayed on the pitch!! 

Fuck Var off and go back to the old system imho. 

I'm late to this one. I was going to post it last week but got sidetracked and forgot. 

Here is the punch up; Derby v Leeds Nov. 1975 - YouTube

I've seen it loads of times but never paid it much attention and it really shows changes in football and life. Hunter thought that Lee dived for the penalty. What amazes me is that Lee is at most 31. He looks like he's in his 50's. His paunch and balding head belie his talent. 

58 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

According to BBC football gossip Man City want to give 33 year old Toni Kroos £13 million a year to sign. The football world’s gone mad. I wouldn’t mind but he’s nothing special in my view.

Toni Kroos was excellent.

I went to the Champions League semi final at the Etihad last year - City's midfield ran rings around Kroos and Modric. It was sad to watch two top tier players look so washed up.

No idea why they'd want to bring him in based on that game. 

I'll put this here, only as it shows how cruel football can be. 

Jordon Ibe, once bought by Bournemouth from Liverpool for £15m as a 20 year old,  has just joined Ebbsfleet United, aged 27.

I'm sure he's earned (and probably lost) a few pennies in that time; it's a salutory lesson to all academy youngsters to enjoy every minute they have in the game.

17 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I'll put this here, only as it shows how cruel football can be. 

Jordon Ibe, once bought by Bournemouth from Liverpool for £15m as a 20 year old,  has just joined Ebbsfleet United, aged 27.

I'm sure he's earned (and probably lost) a few pennies in that time; it's a salutory lesson to all academy youngsters to enjoy every minute they have in the game.

I think he had mental and/or gambling issues.

Anybody get the “ Sunday Observer “ ? There are two excellent articles on the future of football  in todays sports section. One regarding the impact of clubs in their local community by the always excellent Jonathan Wilson and another about the moves behind the scenes in European football to start up international club competitions again by Nick Ames.

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think he had mental and/or gambling issues.

I guessed that but didn't want to speculate. I know he said he just wanted to get back to playing again  so fair play to him for that. But so many young kids, whether they make it or not, or make it then lose it, would do well to heed the warnings of experiences such as his. I bet he had loads of no-do-gooders around him who are nowhere to be seen now.

I read an article in the Mail on Sunday today (I know, I know) regarding the 3pm TV blackout we have.

It appears that PL clubs are wanting the blackout ban lifted come 2029 when the TV deal expires.

Their 'argument' is that, as attendances are growing, there are vast numbers of supposed 'fans' who can't get match tickets and can only watch live games on illegal streams.

It's obviously nothing to do with owners trying to milk more and more money out of the game through TV rights.....

The financial gap between the haves and have-nots will just get bigger and bigger.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I read an article in the Mail on Sunday today (I know, I know) regarding the 3pm TV blackout we have.

It appears that PL clubs are wanting the blackout ban lifted come 2029 when the TV deal expires.

Their 'argument' is that, as attendances are growing, there are vast numbers of supposed 'fans' who can't get match tickets and can only watch live games on illegal streams.

It's obviously nothing to do with owners trying to milk more and more money out of the game through TV rights.....

The financial gap between the haves and have-nots will just get bigger and bigger.

we got talking to some spurs fans at the Euro 2020 they were saying the season tickets were over a grand and had to share it .It could be soon that the price could drive a lot of fans away from attending games and  watching games on TV. I  remember all the media BS saying that most  the money will go to the fans.

Liverpool vs Everton was ruined today by a sending off for Ashley Young with 2 yellow cards for his only 2 fouls.

Ref then didn't send off Konate for the exact same thing, wonder why eh not anything to do with Liverpool crying in the media about the spurs game.

Ruined the game for me as a neutral 

• Like 2

On 21/10/2023 at 09:27, ItsRoverZ said:

Liverpool vs Everton was ruined today by a sending off for Ashley Young with 2 yellow cards for his only 2 fouls.

Ref then didn't send off Konate for the exact same thing, wonder why eh not anything to do with Liverpool crying in the media about the spurs game.

Ruined the game for me as a neutral 

I thought the same. Once a player gets sent off the team with 10 plays with everyone behind the ball and tries not to concede. The game becomes boring. Liverpool got lucky with the penalty. It definitely was one, but I didn't see them scoring otherwise. 

On 21/10/2023 at 09:59, RoverDom said:

It's very easy to get sent off in the PL these days. Neither Young or Konate should have seen red but one did. Lack of consistency again. 

When did every foul become a booking? 

Young's second booking was harsh. It was a mis timed tackle. However, I think most ref's would have booked a player for the tackle. Should the referee have given him some leeway as he'd already been booked? 

It's a fine line but I don't think Konate's second foul was a booking. He did put his arm out, but the Everton player wouldn't have got the ball. 

I can't stand the "technical foul" that he got booked for. They are a blight on the game. If you get beat play on. 

There are far too many sendings off. It's finite and really changes a game. The rules around cards were developed in another era. They need changing. Refine the criteria for reds and yellows? A sin bin? Another colour whereby that player has to leave, still gets a ban, but can be replaced so 11 are still playing. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I thought the same. Once a player gets sent off the team with 10 plays with everyone behind the ball and tries not to concede. The game becomes boring. Liverpool got lucky with the penalty. It definitely was one, but I didn't see them scoring otherwise. 

Young's second booking was harsh. It was a mis timed tackle. However, I think most ref's would have booked a player for the tackle. Should the referee have given him some leeway as he'd already been booked? 

It's a fine line but I don't think Konate's second foul was a booking. He did put his arm out, but the Everton player wouldn't have got the ball. 

I can't stand the "technical foul" that he got booked for. They are a blight on the game. If you get beat play on. 

There are far too many sendings off. It's finite and really changes a game. The rules around cards were developed in another era. They need changing. Refine the criteria for reds and yellows? A sin bin? Another colour whereby that player has to leave, still gets a ban, but can be replaced so 11 are still playing. 

What if the replacement player comes on and has an absolute blinder?

Edited by wilsdenrover

59 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

With the sin bin in rugby league the players goes off for ten minutes. It seems to work pretty well. You could make it 15 minutes in football.

I’ve seen too many games ruined by harsh red cards. It’s an end to end game and it’s really exciting. Then you get the red card. The team down to 10 goes into their shell and it’s entertaining game over.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Young's both fouls were yellow cards and rightly sent off. Maybe Dyche should have subbed him after one yellow card. 

On Konate, he should also been sent off and that's was a mistake by the ref in the game 

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I think we should stop trying to copy other sports by people wanting to introduce sin bin's, etc. Its ain't part of Football and neither should it be. The rules are simple and clear 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With the sin bin in rugby league the players goes off for ten minutes. It seems to work pretty well. You could make it 15 minutes in football.

I’ve seen too many games ruined by harsh red cards. It’s an end to end game and it’s really exciting. Then you get the red card. The team down to 10 goes into their shell and it’s entertaining game over.

My fear would be by giving the refs an extra option you’re just giving them an extra chance to get the decision wrong.

For example, sending someone to the sin bin when it should still be a red card (or when it should only have been a yellow.)