BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

7 hours ago, philipl said:

4 of the top 5 failed to win.

Problem was the one which makes it uncompetitive won 6-1..

City don't look their usual at the moment. De Bruyne missing probably has a lot to do with that. 

They've already lost 2 games, one of those to Arsenal. They'll probably win it but it will be close. Arsenal and Liverpool will push them. 

We will see if Liverpool's draw at Luton was an aberration once the other top teams have been there. The atmosphere was raucous and felt like a cup tie. 

Despite their thinnish squad, Spurs are contenders as are Villa if they get their injured players back in the second half of the season.

Agreed, City have vulnerabilities- their summer trading hasn't worked perfectly but with Doku settling in, he could win the title on his own! 

33 minutes ago, philipl said:

Spurs are contenders as are Villa i

Contenders for what? Not the title surely? 

Spurs will be disappointed not to get top 4 and villa will be there or thereabouts but neither are going to sustain a title charge for a season.  

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Chelsea and City was a great advert for why the Premier League is the best league in the world and exactly why people all over the world want to watch it plus why fans want to watch it eery week

You on commission for Sky or what?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Chelsea and City was a great advert for why the Premier League is the best league in the world and exactly why people all over the world want to watch it plus why fans want to watch it eery week

I for one don't want to watch it every week. In fact, I have no interest in it whatsoever.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I for one don't want to watch it every week. In fact, I have no interest in it whatsoever.

well I do have a interest in watching Premier League and I fully enjoyed watching the games each weekends thanks. 

I fully enjoyed watching Chelsea vs City and West Ham vs Forest games today. 13 goals, full of goals, incidents, good attacking play, bad defending, etc

17 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I know that many on this board naysay anything that isn't Rovers related but the Chelsea-City game was superb. 

City's metronome passing routines went out of the window, Chelsea caused them all sorts of problems, themselves too. 

I know it’s hard for folk abroad to understand but a load of football fans here don’t have Sky and generally aren’t particularly interested in the PL.

Now I do have it but even I’m well out the loop, the World Cup proved that when the commentators would go ‘here’s player x of Aston Villa/Fulham/West Ham’ and I honestly wouldn’t have recognised them if they’d walked past me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I know it’s hard for folk abroad to understand but a load of football fans here don’t have Sky and generally aren’t particularly interested in the PL.

Now I do have it but even I’m well out the loop, the World Cup proved that when the commentators would go ‘here’s player x of Aston Villa/Fulham/West Ham’ and I honestly wouldn’t have recognised them if they’d walked past me.

That's probably also a lot to do with the fact most modern players are completely interchangeable and homogeneous. Zero personality and zero individualism.

On 12/11/2023 at 18:58, chaddyrovers said:

The quality is great but the grotesque inequality and the people behind the clubs turning it into a close shop is something I find hard to forget. 

We are meant to forget that Roman Abramovich, Russian oligarch and funder of Palestinian home dispossession in Israel (see BBC documentary on Elad) is the modern 'builder' of Chelsea FC. And, we are to forget the US financiers and Middle Eastern dictatorships. No politics in football, goes the mantra, but football is definitely in politics, and you can't see it because no-one talks about it.

However, as long as players like Bernardo Silva are playing in the Premier League, I'll still follow it. The quality is definitely impressive, even if the style and tactics have become somewhat homogenous.

Football 365 have ranked current keepers based on how many goals they've been expected to concede vs how many goals they've actually conceded this season. 

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-keepers-ranked-2023-24-psxg

Jason Steele is ranked 21/22 - conceding 2.5 more goals than he would have been expected to based on shots faced.

James Trafford is ranked 19/22 - conceded 1.5 more than expected. Waste of money.

David Raya is ranked 11/22 - conceded 0.8 less than expected.

Thomas Kaminski is ranked 1/22 - conceding 4.1 less than expected. 

"Made five saves v Liverpool before letting that one in from Luis Diaz. And then somehow kept out Rasmus Hojlund. He has excelled himself this season even though he is yet to keep a clean sheet"

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Fair point. If someone isn't interested then leave it alone, it's the moaning and groaning about it that comes across as being sour.

I am a Rovers fans but I don't have the passion for them and them alone like many on here do, and from what you are saying it happens across the board. I have always loved football but must be in the minority.

I can watch every Prem game every week if I so desire as I have a subscription to NBC. Without it I'd still get 4 live games every weekend.  

I get 2 Championship games a week with ESPN+ but as much as I like football watching the likes of Swansea v QPR is too much for me. 

Games are also on much earlier here so I can watch on Saturday morning and still have the rest of the day free. It causes less disruption than being on at 3, 5, or 7.30.

18 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Same here. Show me a photo of a Premier League player from the mid-90s and I'd be able to name 99% of them.

I bet I'd struggle to name 30% now. 

Thought that might be the difference between me being 10 and almost 40.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Same here. Show me a photo of a Premier League player from the mid-90s and I'd be able to name 99% of them.

Me too for many seasons. Now they could pass me in the street and I wouldn’t know who they were apart from the really obvious ones.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Watching the Chelsea-Rovers game at Stamford Bridge apart from Sterling, James and Gallagher I didn't really know any of their players. Same with most Prem teams - I can name one or two in most teams but the rest are just a blank. It's not just getting older and a declining interest - I just don't identify with these teams in the same way we did 30-40 years ago

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Watching the Chelsea-Rovers game at Stamford Bridge apart from Sterling, James and Gallagher I didn't really know any of their players. Same with most Prem teams - I can name one or two in most teams but the rest are just a blank. It's not just getting older and a declining interest - I just don't identify with these teams in the same way we did 30-40 years ago

You might have seen that clip from a press conference when Pochettino was asked about Malang Sarr and an English youth player at the club and he didn't recognise the names. Sarr is a French U21 player has been with the club for three years and played 8 games, according to Wikipedia, and been on loan three times.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd be hard pressed to name many players not affiliated with the "big 6". I'd struggle mightily if they were dressed in street clothes.

If I knew the player I also used to be able to name every team they had played for. Not a chance now. 

Panini sticker books were a fixture of my youth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Thought it was just me 🙄

On 14/11/2023 at 13:18, LeftWinger said:

Football 365 have ranked current keepers based on how many goals they've been expected to concede vs how many goals they've actually conceded this season. 

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-keepers-ranked-2023-24-psxg

Thomas Kaminski is ranked 1/22 - conceding 4.1 less than expected. 

"Made five saves v Liverpool before letting that one in from Luis Diaz. And then somehow kept out Rasmus Hojlund. He has excelled himself this season even though he is yet to keep a clean sheet"

It's to be hoped we had a good sell on clause as other premier League clubs will be taking note.