BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sondre Tronstad

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Andersen was a tidy 6/10 player. He got involved and kept play nice and simple. He help keep us up along with John Stead. I hope this new Norwegian lad is as good.

I'll have to take your word for it, I don't remember a single thing about his game! I do notice he played 11 games in his loan and we didn't bother signing him.

23 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bohinen could be  a world beater on his day. I remember him running Forest ragged in that 7-0 thrashing and him scoring a truly brilliant goal at OT.

Bohinen was one of my favourites. Unplayable on his day.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Tronstad was the 'glue' today

Didn't give the ball away, harried the opposition and just looked a tidy midfield player. Type of man you'd want besides you when you're in the trenches, as we were for the majority of todays game actually

As I said in the match thread - he is every bit the player that Travis should have been

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Tronstad was the 'glue' today

Didn't give the ball away, harried the opposition and just looked a tidy midfield player. Type of man you'd want besides you when you're in the trenches, as we were for the majority of todays game actually

As I said in the match thread - he is every bit the player that Travis should have been

I think Travis is just a different type of player. He might not be much of a goal threat but he can charge around and win the ball back in great areas, and he isnt as bad on the ball as people make out. Being the main sitter requires positional discipline which Tronstad has.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Travis is just a different type of player. He might not be much of a goal threat but he can charge around and win the ball back in great areas, and he isnt as bad on the ball as people make out. Being the main sitter requires positional discipline which Tronstad has.

It’s as much about what you do off the ball as it is what you do when you’re on it. Discipline is the key. Tronstad doesn’t go looking for cards either.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s as much about what you do off the ball as it is what you do when you’re on it. Discipline is the key. Tronstad doesn’t go looking for cards either.

Absolutely, but I meant to the poster I was replying that I dont think Travis suits being the player that is the deepest of the midfielders. His natural game isnt to sit and tidy things up, to ask him to do that is somewhat stifling him. When he does play, he is usually the more advanced of the 2 because he is very useful at winning the ball back higher up, for example the goal we scored v Leicester.

Earlier in the season, the midfield of Wharton and Travis didnt work. Wharton is very good on the ball in deep areas but at this stage isnt in a position to be the main man charged with protecting the defence. Wharton can still play deep next to Tronstad but its more secure with the latter in. I think Travis would suit being next to Tronstad but obviously we wouldnt want to drop Wharton for Travis.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It seems like whenever Tronstad has a reasonable game, we win.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

If jdt remains the manager next season I can't see Travis being captain. It will either be Sammy or Tronstad, the latter deserves to be on any pitch before Travis does. 

I dont think he will be stripped of the captaincy even in the unlikely scenario that Tomasson stays. And even if he isnt playing, although those chances of playing might increase if and when Wharton is sold. Its a bit of a statement to strip someone of the captaincy, he could still remain club captain when more often than not remaining a sub.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think he will be stripped of the captaincy even in the unlikely scenario that Tomasson stays. And even if he isnt playing, although those chances of playing might increase if and when Wharton is sold. Its a bit of a statement to strip someone of the captaincy, he could still remain club captain when more often than not remaining a sub.

Why are you sorting out next season. Let's just enjoy this one. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It's a lot of "ifs and buts". I'm not saying that Tomasson doesn't want him as captain but for me he shouldn't be making the starting 11 as imo he ain't good enough. Of course, as it glass bodied rovers, we are always going to have key players injured and Travis is good enough from the bench for the most part. I understand what he brings to the dressing room atmosphere but club captain sitting on the bench doesn't work for me. 

Like you said. It depends on if we are lucky enough to retain Jdts services and in reality it's up to him. 

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

It's a lot of "ifs and buts". I'm not saying that Tomasson doesn't want him as captain but for me he shouldn't be making the starting 11 as imo he ain't good enough. Of course, as it glass bodied rovers, we are always going to have key players injured and Travis is good enough from the bench for the most part. I understand what he brings to the dressing room atmosphere but club captain sitting on the bench doesn't work for me. 

Like you said. It depends on if we are lucky enough to retain Jdts services and in reality it's up to him. 

Absolutely. I just cant see him stripping Travis of the captaincy though even if he remains a squad player. Its a big statement even if its because he isnt playing as much, and could cause unnecessary aggravation. Ultimately the vice captain then more often than not becomes the on field captain but youve still got the buy in of the captain.

Think Tronstad is a perfect illustration of not writing players off too soon.  Even coming from a decent Dutch league you could see in his first couple of games the game was passing him by and JDT took him out of the side.

Now he is probably first name on the team sheet. We also now have Leo who is establishing himself and had a clean sheet yesterday, and Telalovic appears to be getting up to speed and scoring goals, albeit in the I321s at the moment. 

I think both of these players will also prove to be solid signings for the club. I don't think we sometimes understand how difficult it can be for players moving from abroad to settle into new surroundings and produce their best

Edited by Tugayisgod
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

Think Tronstad is a perfect illustration of not writing players off too soon.  Even coming from a decent Dutch league you could see in his first couple of games the game was passing him by and JDT took him out of the side.

Now he is probably first name on the team sheet. We also now have Leo who is establishing himself and had a clean sheet yesterday, and Telalovic appears to be getting up to speed and scoring goals, albeit in the I321s at the moment. 

I think both of these players will also prove to be solid signings for the club

I think I could score goals against 1321 year olds !