BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Bromwich Albion (H) - 05/08/2023

2 minutes ago, AspRover said:

I'm also pretty interested to see what players like Travis, Pickering and Dolan look like after a full JDT pre-season, I think they were all players who struggled to adapt to the change in tactics and setup a bit last season. 

I think that having a player like Tronstad next to him may help Travis out too if it means he can share the covering of the back line a bit and not be pulled from side to side so much during the game.

A lot of movement in attack when JRC gets forward too, Dolan and Markanday can both drift around a fair bit.

I'll be honest, I'm expecting a loss here, but hopefully we'll see some good signs for the tactics going forward.

Pickering won't ever be good enough imo. Far too slow, can go through phases of being ok but overall he's not good enough. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yeah that's a disgraceful front 3 to start a season with.

They're talking 'top 10' on Radio Lancs. No chance at the moment - just no goals in the side. We've really been let down this summer. Sat in the car about to head down to the ground and I have zero enthusiasm for the match / season.

Very reliant on a set pieces or some JRC magic until we bring in some goals. If we bring in some goals, I should say.

4 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Pickering won't ever be good enough imo. Far too slow, can go through phases of being ok but overall he's not good enough. 

I think pace is his problem for sure. The rest of his game is actually pretty good - he can pass, tackle, has decent on the ball technique - but he gets skinned if up against anyone with a bit of speed and opposition teams know it.

I have been a bit of an advocate of playing him as a defensive mid, next to Travis, where he wont be as exposed. Problem is we don't really have a tested alternative at left back, just Batty who may or may not be ready or you're playing a right footed left back in Brittain.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

does it? Lacks pace and aging for me I’m happy against that. Some good players in there don’t get me wrong 

Will out muscle us and our team v lacking in pace / height - how is Leonard on that front?

Only positive i can take here is we look strong defensively, massive game for whole front 3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DackDackGoose said:

Will out muscle us and our team v lacking in pace / height - how is Leonard on that front?

Only positive i can take here is we look strong defensively, massive game for whole front 3

Agreed on the out muscled part that is a concern. But we have more pace through the team than they do believe it or not need markanday dolan and sammy to be right at it from the start 

5 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

Agreed on the out muscled part that is a concern. But we have more pace through the team than they do believe it or not need markanday dolan and sammy to be right at it from the start 

Leonard is 6'1" so not that small (though do agree).

The match is on ESPN+ in the US, so no rovers video stream here. However there is no audio stream available either. We have always previously been able to listen to the audio even if the match is on TV. I prefer the biased rovers commentary with all its faults to having to listen to ESPN. Have any others in the US found the same problem? 

• Like 2