BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v West Bromwich Albion (H) - 05/08/2023

Can't see past an easy game for West Brom, we have 0 firepower, or untested firepower should I say in the form of markandy, Leonard etc, they may be missing a few players but still have the likes of jed Wallace, and if you thought pickering had a nightmare against the girona wingers, pray West brom don't start thier Brighton loan winger

Let's be honest, if Gallagher was fit, Leonard wouldn't be starting today would he? I think we'd all be over the moon if he could get a goal or 2 today and stake his claim though. We've had numerous young strikers come through the ranks over the years that ultimately never make the step up. There's something a bit more special (to me anyway) about the idea of a homegrown striker making the big time compared to other positions. Scoring goals, especially in a time of need can fire you to hero status much quicker than a defender for example.

Do us proud Harry 👏 💙🤍

Watch him not even start now😑

• Like 5

Out of what I think the starting line up will be I’d like us to replace Pears, Dolan and Leonard, with the Swedish Keeper, Siggy and a proven goal scorer. Leonard dropping to the bench and being used more throughout the season  

I’m hopeful that Batty will push on to compete with Pickering and A Wharton to get some real form and consistency. Markanday to provide some competition for Hedges, but ideally signing someone with real pace to be brought it. 

2-0 Rovers!

• Like 2

Football seasons back, it’s hammering down in West Yorkshire! But as we all know, the sun always shines on Ewood Park.

John Bull for dinner, few pints and 1-1 draw against promotion candidates West Brom.

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

oh I do like to be beside the sea

oh I do like to walk along the prom prom prom, where the brass band plays, **** off West Brom.

• Like 3

To be fair it was only largely FA Cup ties that saw those kind of crowds a handful of times a season. Across the game league crowds are now at the same level as they were in the 1950s (not here though obviously).

Amazing the gates the cup saw though when you look at it’s diminished stature now.

We really need a win to get us up and running quickly.  Said it time and time again, this league is all about confidence and momentum.

Rovers to nick it by the odd goal with Leonard hailed as the all conquering hero. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair it was only largely FA Cup ties that saw those kind of crowds a handful of times a season. Across the game league crowds are now at the same level as they were in the 1950s (not here though obviously).

Amazing the gates the cup saw though when you look at it’s diminished stature now.

In the 50's though, Ewood Park was packed every home game. Not 50000 obviously, that sort of crowd was served for The FA Cup--always a very special occasion!. But high 20's for normal home games as I recall. And that was in the 2nd division obviously.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

In the 50's though, Ewood Park was packed every home game. Not 50000 obviously, that sort of crowd was served for The FA Cup--always a very special occasion!. But high 20's for normal home games as I recall. And that was in the 2nd division obviously.

We averaged around 22/23k in most second division seasons in the 50s… and we weren’t far from that in 1999 to 2001. So a historical norm to be averaging 20k+ in this league.

We shouldn’t be so far from that now… but we all know why we are.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I'm never confident on the opening day and today is no different, always want to get that first win on the board as soon as.

Still think we will lose this,no cutting edge and a keeper downgrade it'll all be passing around in the middle but lacking the final ball.

Has Pears left too? 

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We averaged around 22/23k in most second division seasons in the 50s… and we weren’t far from that in 1999 to 2001. So a historical norm to be averaging 20k+ in this league.

We shouldn’t be so far from that now… but we all know why we are.

You are right in what you say about attendance levels in this division in the periods you are quoting but it's worth adding that attendances in the 1960s in this division were roughly similar to what they are now and were much lower in the 1970s and 1980s.

• Like 1

I know, I’m talking about how what is always looked back to as a golden age of attendances (the 50s) isn’t dissimilar to what we are seeing now across football, crowds are booming… but not here.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You are right in what you say about attendance levels in this division in the periods you are quoting but it's worth adding that attendances in the 1960s in this division were roughly similar to what they are now and were much lower in the 1970s and 1980s.

Give the town a successful side and the crowds come out in numbers, its always been that way, as your point clearly shows Mashed.

Of course crowds increase if you are having a promotion season, in the top flight etc. But most of the time you aren’t so lucky, and these current crowds are not following the trend of most other clubs these past ten years - I.e increasing markedly regardless of what is on the pitch… and we know why.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

After the absolute chaos of the close season it feels brilliant to be waking up to a proper matchday again. JDT is still here too, something which looked very unlikely a few short weeks ago. We'll see how it plays out at the end of the window and beyond but hey gotta take the positives where we can get them.

Team wise it more than likely picks itself I suppose. Just wish we had Sigurdsson ready to go from day one, would have given us a massive boost to our attacking options.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course crowds increase if you are having a promotion season, in the top flight etc. But most of the time you aren’t so lucky, and these current crowds are not following the trend of most other clubs these past ten years - I.e increasing markedly regardless of what is on the pitch… and we know why.

Haven't our average attendances been steadily increasing in recent years? I'm sure I read somewhere that they had? 

• Like 1