BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

It would be worrying if the players aren't being trained to deal with this kind of tactic, as for many clubs in this division it's standard. It should be something we're well-drilled to combat already. Granted today it didn't look like it. 

I think it's a situation to me when a footballing brain should kick in. If a striker drops deep his marker shouldn't automatically go with him rather than that he should understand that it could well be a ploy to move him out of position. Once is excusable but today it happened several times and really left us exposed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I do feel he should have done better positionally for their winner. Doesn’t mean he’d have saved it, but would’ve given their player more to think about and MIGHT have saved or made him miss the target.

To be fair, I haven’t seen it on the tv highlights yet. At the game, I just saw the lad clean through and expected him to put it away, which sadly, he did and at the time, I wasn’t looking at Pears just bemoaning the hopeless lack of elementary defending.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I think it's a situation to me when a footballing brain should kick in. If a striker drops deep his marker shouldn't automatically go with him rather than that he should understand that it could well be a ploy to move him out of position. Once is excusable but today it happened several times and really left us exposed.

It's certainly a concern. Feels like we're missing some vital leadership and experience at the back - probably why we've been trying to get someone like Batth in. I think Hyam is a solid enough CB, but you do wonder if he needs a more experienced head beside him to get the best out of him. You'd ideally like him to to be fulfilling that role at 27, but I'm not sure he's vocal enough to lead the back line.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

It's certainly a concern. Feels like we're missing some vital leadership and experience at the back - probably why we've been trying to get someone like Batth in. I think Hyam is a solid enough CB, but you do wonder if he needs a more experienced head beside him to get the best out of him. You'd ideally like him to to be fulfilling that role at 27, but I'm not sure he's vocal enough to lead the back line.

Several of us actually questioned whether Hyam was injured today such was his lack of mobility. It was basic, elementary centre half duties he was failing in.

• Backroom
Just now, arbitro said:

Several of us actually questioned whether Hyam was injured today such was his lack of mobility. It was basic, elementary centre half duties he was failing in.

It's a strange one because he definitely has the ability - we've all seen it, he can be excellent. It's possible he's playing with a niggle, might be that he's lost some confidence, might be that he needs someone beside him to give instructions. I'm not sure. Regardless, we've conceded two or more goals in 3/4 games so far this season (cup included), so something isn't working. 

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

Ciaran Clark for me 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

To be fair, I haven’t seen it on the tv highlights yet. At the game, I just saw the lad clean through and expected him to put it away, which sadly, he did and at the time, I wasn’t looking at Pears just bemoaning the hopeless lack of elementary defending.

This is a point I made last week about Pears - A lot of goals we concede aren't his fault (like the Szmodic pass last week) but there is zero confidence of him saving or putting off the striker.  We just accept they score from those situations.    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Silly post. Best player on the pitch when he was on. 

Sillier post. He's often the shittest player on the pitch.

Enjoy his performance, he'll let you down next time apart from the six or seven matches he decides to turn up.

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

Could be Tony. On TV there was a momentary close up of him where he appeared to be flexing his groin or hip.

We're screwed if Hyam is injured, unless Scott Wharton can be the player he was 18 months ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

I took one look at the team sheets and lumped on Hull.

The side that started the game for us today is more than capable of gettin in a relegation scrap.

Pickerings pathetic athletic ability is always a danger. 

We are going nowhere

JRC looked drunk today, all over the place, couldn’t control the ball, shooting laughable. 

Mercer’s splinter account?

49 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Same here, and it didn't get mentioned on radio Lancs on the way home. 

It's surprising what you can see when you really want to see it. 

Edited by M_B

2 hours ago, Bethnal said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0g7pq08/player?chromeless

Rosenior quite measured and complimentary of us. Sounds a little frustrated with his own team and possibly aware we could/should have edged it.

I always liked him as the EFL pundit and think he has a bright future as a manager. He’s got Hull playing some good stuff and brought some decent players in, I think they will have a decent season.

• Like 1

• Backroom

To be honest I'd rather we'd won 1-0 and Rosenior was moaning about us being shithouses. Loved the good old bully boys days, pissing off the likes of Wenger, Benitez and Ferguson. Do whatever it takes, within reason, to get the result - and as fans, we all knew we were better than the tag, and it was lovely to see the big boys crying over getting a bloody nose from little old Rovers.

• Like 9