BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Trouble is at some clubs it would cause issues amongst the players and headaches for the chairmen.

I mean who would be remotely surprised if someone like Markanday was on a lot more than some of our other young players because he came from Spuds with a fee.

That is exactly how it "works" .  Higher wages tend to correlate with higher transfer fees with the exception of Bosman frees where the money for the transfer fee is instead paid in higher wages/signing on fees.

* Note the words "tend to correlate".  I am not saying this always happens, or it is a rule

Edited by KentExile

16 minutes ago, KentExile said:

That is exactly how it "works" .  Higher wages tend to correlate with higher transfer fees with the exception of Bosman frees where the money for the transfer fee is instead paid in higher wages/signing on fees.

* Note the words "tend to correlate".  I am not saying this always happens, or it is a rule

What i'm saying on that one is it wouldn't surprise me that seeing as he arrived from a club like Spurs, to much fanfare about potential and we paid at least 500k he's probably on 4 or 5 grand a week.  Whereas the lads he's competing with like our own trainees and those on their first pro contracts will be on a lot less.

Things like that is why wages tend to be closely guarded until something seeps out.

Of course could be way of the mark but this is the club under Mowbray, Venus and Waggot that paid Leeds 11k a week to borrow a kid like Poveda.   Then didn't cover themselves for the possibility of injury so we paid him whilst he was back at his parent club getting fit to go elsewhere.

This is what we are dealing with at BRFC with those who run the club so on the wages front literally anything is possible to be honest !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilsdenrover said:

For no obvious reason Wharton doesn’t strike me as someone who’d want to move to London.

I assume that's because he seems a fairly quiet, meek personality. Plus he seems close with his brother, who of course will be staying all the way up here.

However you slice it, the ball should be in the club's court when bids do come in for young Adam. 4 and a half years on his deal, playing every week at 19, fan of the club with his brother playing here, there's almost zero chance he kicks up any real fuss even if he decides he'd rather move.

The only fly in the ointment would be if some fool put a too-low minimum fee release clause in there........uh oh.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Won't be as cheap as Phillips that's for sure

Screenshot_20240108-164025.png

I doubt if Adam Wharton would get a first team place at Spuds, so he would probably be either on the bench or in the U21s. It would all depend on which he wants, playing first team football or more money and a loan.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Wouldn’t accept anything less than 40 million for Wharton, anything under that and we won’t see a penny 

That would be 2 years running costs and nil reinvestment apart from his wage to loan in a 19 year old with no championship experience from somewhere.

• Like 1

Footy insider have a track record of being wide of the mark on a number of stories within the EFL. They linked Viktor Gyokores with about 10 different clubs last summer. Reading the article there is nothing new on the Wharton front to me. We know he is admired by top clubs in the country. 

If we truly serious about adopting the model of signing for cheap and selling for a profit then selling Wharton and using the funds to buy several recruits is exactly what we should do. However, we are not a normal club and our owners need a high court date just to pay the electricity bills. 95% of the proceeds will just disappear into the ether. Given the above, we must keep hold of our assets. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rover8T4 said:

Won't be as cheap as Phillips that's for sure

Screenshot_20240108-164025.png

Not entertaining the idea of selling anyone whilst the clowns still have the excuse of the Indian Government restrictions to pull out of their back pockets.

Wharton could be sold for £30m and we'd not see a penny. He's likely going to be the biggest sale we'll have for quite some time, can't waste it because we need just cover running costs.

It would be the acid test for the "new model", a good chunk has to be wisely invested back into the playing squad otherwise the new model is just a smokescreen for pulling the fans pants down (again)

• Like 1

I like Adam Wharton but he is not the done deal. Still alot of development needed and Tottenham is NOT the club to go to if you want to get better. Look at our history with transfers to Spurs. Probably get my ass handed to me on this but still can’t get over Bentley….

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd add an extra £5m on any transfer fee when dealing with Spurs. 

There's zero chance they'd pay it, Spurs are notorious for not even paying the going rate as it is.

You might as well just go with Wilsden's approach of telling them to fuck off. At least it would be more gratifying.

• Like 3

Just now, moerpho said:

I like Adam Wharton but he is not the done deal. Still alot of development needed and Tottenham is NOT the club to go to if you want to get better. Look at our history with transfers to Spurs. Probably get my ass handed to me on this but still can’t get over Bentley….

As far as I can recall, Bentley and Phillips are the only sales we've made to Spurs since the former. They used to be linked to our players nearly constantly when we were in the Prem (it used to really do my tits in), but I can't think of any others that went through in that period. I may be forgetting someone. As you allude to though, there is a significant track record of Spurs being a graveyard for far more young players than become a success there. I reckon we'd have a slightly stronger England side by now if they hadn't been hoovering up and wasting youngsters for so long.

There's also a significant track record of Rovers players thinking the grass was greener, but finding out their patch was in fact full of cow pats.

• Like 4

Thankfully he’s signed a long term deal, so clubs won’t have us over barrel.

Would he looking at £20m and a chunky sell on fee from premier league clubs.

I’m surprised that European clubs haven’t been looking at Adam. Clubs in Germany and Italy have taken a shine to British players lately. 

You’d think that a club like Dortmund would be all over him.

• Like 1