BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The loan back will put many off if they are paying that kind of money.

May well depend on the club in question.

Would be beneficial for Adam to stay here and play week in week out - but Palace have injury problems and would want him immediately.

Either way, good to see we are standing our ground at the moment!

Edited by jones_rover

Ornstein is always spot on with his news.

Nice to see that we’re aren’t just rolling over and letting him go for peanuts. 

People like Daniel Levy will be trying to use our situation to get a discounted price. Let’s get as much as possible and hopefully re-invest a few million on the squad.

4 minutes ago, JohnD said:

£18.5m for AW!?

Start the car 

Sell and we'll get nothing to replace him with and may well go down and this will take the blame.

Keep and something goes wrong in the future, we remain skint and go down now or next season anyway, this takes the blame !

Damned either way unless they get 20 mill plus and damn well find some for quality investment straight away.

• Like 1

As a few have said, Ornstein seems to have his finger on the pulse with a lot of the business the London PL teams do.

My thoughts on the Wharton situation are that:

1) Palace have bid a decent amount of money a week before the deadline shuts. That suggests they’re keen and will probably come back in the coming days

2) The people saying they’d have accepted £15m for him shows why it’s a good job they are not making these decisions, considering Palace have already gone above that

3) It amazes me how many people (see it on Twitter/X a lot as well) want to sell our best players at the first opportunity of cash. Unfortunately, it’s not like we are a competent club where we could buy 5/6 very good championship players for that cash as the likelihood is that a minuscule amount of that will be re-invested

4) I get that a lot of people (especially those who remember the play-off games) don’t think Palace is a good move for the lad but I completely disagree. They are one of the best clubs for buying exciting talent from the Championship and playing them. Olise and Eze the prime examples. If Hodgson goes soon and they bring in the right person, it would be a good place for Adam to learn his trade in the PL (providing they stump up the right cash) 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jones_rover said:

May well depend on the club in question.

Would be beneficial for Adam to stay here and play week in week out - but Palace have injury problems and would want him immediately.

Either way, good to see we are standing our ground at the moment!

It it's a team like them committing that much then they entitled to want an instant player.

Your Spuds, City's and Chelsea's of the world might do the loan backs but non will want him at that price there comes a point in these negotiations where if we want the money we can't dictate all the terms.

It's called trying to have your cake and eat it.

25 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Love it

I'd only accept if its a club record fee received. I'd also put the caveat on Venky's that we're able to spend 60%+ of the fee received on improvements to the squad, but I know that's not something we can control. Which is what makes me nervous about selling.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

kind of on topic. Harvey Elliott blossomed with us. He is a joy to watch. Especially tonight. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13002533/Ratings-Luis-Diaz-Liverpool-Harvey-Elliott-Fulham.html

I thought Elliot actually made some silly errors last night. Miskicks and falling over the ball. Overall though he's doing well for Liverpool

Every time I see Cairney it reminds me how good technically he actually was. Just hardly ever gives the ball away. 

It would be madness if we turn down bids for the likes of Rothwell and Diaz and let them go on a free yet accept anything other than big mega money for a kid who wants to stay and would benefit from staying for another season or two 

Tough call, especially if Palace come back with a improved offer. Maybe it could come down to whether Wharton fancies the move himself or the situation re the Venkys investigation and how desperately we need the cash.

Though hopefully we are in a position to stand firm, especially given the long contract we have him under.

Would love for us to get our act together and have a real go next season with Wharton at the heart of the side. Surely he is only going to get better with more experience and be worth more in future...

4 minutes ago, jones_rover said:

Tough call, especially if Palace come back with a improved offer. Maybe it could come down to whether Wharton fancies the move himself or the situation re the Venkys investigation and how desperately we need the cash.

Though hopefully we are in a position to stand firm, especially given the long contract we have him under.

Would love for us to get our act together and have a real go next season with Wharton at the heart of the side. Surely he is only going to get better with more experience and be worth more in future...

If they come in 20m and 30% sell on or something I think we have to accept it.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, islander200 said:

This fella usually spot on

Screenshot_2024-01-25-09-25-30-83_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

https://theathletic.com/5224892/2024/01/25/crystal-palace-adam-wharton-transfer-blackburn/ (paywalled) associated article, but it doesn't say much beyond the tweet other than Wharton's highly rated, etc.

Whatever is a 'fair' price for Wharton today, I just don't see the case for selling him now.

1) Suppose we 'could' get £20m for Wharton now. Maybe a fair enough price, but you can easily imagine that increasing to an Alex Scott-ish £25m after a strong 2nd half. As good as Wharton is and will be, he's definitely had his blemishes in the first half and we can expect him to keep improving.

2) I totally understand the handwringing about our recent form, but (and I may regret saying this 🙂) I don't think there's a huge relegation risk given our 9 point cushion (let's not forget there are some rank teams in the division this year...). I think we are due for some degree of regression after an awful run. Maybe it would allow us to spend a few million to rebalance the squad for the rest of the season, but I'd lean toward that being short-sighted.

3) With this year's budget issues, this is a consolidation year of sorts... In FFP terms, getting £20-25m next year (or later) would set us up financially for 2024-25 through to 2026-27. A panic sell this year would see that runway run out in 2025-26. Getting the Raya money this coming summer helps in that regard too... (Obviously another question of the extent that money would actually be spent on transfers, maintaining a median-ish wage bill in this divison, etc. I will shy away from suggesting a warchest is afoot haha... At the very least, FFP would absolutely not be an excuse for a few years!)

Other variables:

- Venky's-related cashflow issues... if we're selling, and potentially foregoing an extra £5m in the future, simply to get some cash into the club today... well, that's as clear as it gets that our ownership is not fit for purpose given the financial 'demands' of this division.

- If Wharton's head is suddenly turned by PL money, etc., frankly, there's a limit to how much you can block players from such opportunities as a middling Championship club. An unfortunate reality, but given his new contract, affinity for Rovers, etc., that risk is relatively low in this case.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, islander200 said:

This fella usually spot on

Screenshot_2024-01-25-09-25-30-83_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Going to be interesting to see what happens next. It's likely we would always reject any reasonable opening bid and fire some demands back to them.

Our league position/form has probably added to this, flogging Wharton with little time left to draft in some replacements would be suicidal.

Palace might very well come back with an increased offer and maybe a player on loan (not Wharton) could get interesting and I could see him leaving if Palace push enough.

The ‘sell him and let’s reinvest in 3/4 quality signings’ Twitter brigade are going to be very disappointed… but then again it will still be the fans fault when the money disappears as we only have 14k instead of 18k gates.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

A Wharton sale will come down to if JDT gets 85% to spend in this window.

If that's a NO , I can't see JDT or GB entertaining the idea.

The longer we can't get transfer fee money out of India the need to generate it from sales grows larger with the results on the pitch alarming.

True saleable assets are few and far between . Getting a million here or there for a first team player ain't going to generate a fund decent enough to attract better first team players.

It's a certainly a conundrum for the manager and GB I suspect 

• Like 5

Impressive if we’ve turned down £18.5m. Always find it surprising when people criticise Venky’s for actively trying to sell our best assets when they so often refuse to sell until the asking price is met even if it means players running down their contracts.

Edited by magicalmortensleftpeg
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

The longer we can't get transfer fee money out of India the need to generate it from sales grows larger with the results on the pitch alarming.

True saleable assets are few and far between . Getting a million here or there for a first team player ain't going to generate a fund decent enough to attract better first team players.

Is this something you've heard through the grapevine Glen?

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

Is there any world whatsoever where Venkys would sanction spending 85% of the recieved fee? Seems incredibly unlikely.