BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (h) - 01/10/23

1 minute ago, booth said:

I agree about Wharton. He’s not ready. Stupid to loan out Buckley.

They’re a lot put on him with how we are set up. He is asked to start our attack with our defenders getting forward as he is in possession. Trav is usually in front of him as well, so we’re very exposed whenever he loses the ball. I’ve noticed he is frequently bullied off the ball from behind hoping/expecting to get a foul called. He also gets caught in possession from time to time and gives the ball away unaware of a trailing defender coming in from behind. 

A young player learning on the job. A better squad wouldn’t need to run him out there every match, but here we are. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

I’m trying to work out which manager would get a tune out of this squad, combined with the suicidal transfer policy.

As much as I think JDTs football right now is suicidal, it’s hard to disagree. We have no leaders, no experience, no height, no strikers. 

A bunch of kids effectively. But hey, it’s what the owners want.

• Like 3

Positives, thought Dolan did when when he came on, Moran looks better as a number 10, albeit abit wasteful he carried the ball well. Thought Markanday did well also, seem to have their LB on strings at one point.

Negatives, Hyam and Carter.

I keep thinking to myself it’s Leicester, but there’s so many other teams, with just as good forwards than them. I’d be amazed if we finished higher than 11th.

3 minutes ago, BigBar said:

He can stop shopping goals by forcing the players you mention to do things they are not comfortable with. If that's means packing the midfield and playing off Telalovic then so be it, long ball once in awhile. Stop this fannying about at the back and this nicey nice approach, it's getting us hammered on the regular.

He’s directive from the CEO is to avoid relegation and blood the kids. Hes doing at least 1 of those things. 

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

As much as I think JDTs football right now is suicidal, it’s hard to disagree. We have no leaders, no experience, no height, no strikers. 

A bunch of kids effectively. But hey, it’s what the owners want.

Venkys have turned the club into a glorified kids training camp.

What was it that silly little cow said when she took over, over a decade ago? We’ve an excellent academy and we’ll lease players.

2023, here we are guys.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

In the end, we didn’t have the killer instinct or the stamina to stand up to this challenge. “Men against boys” is probably a fair assessment, literally and figuratively. Their forward line wages are probably our whole squad’s wages and while that’s not the most telling of metrics, it’s a good shorthand for what we saw today: a gulf in quality.

I don’t dislike our shape and formation in certain games, I think it can get us somewhere. Today, though, we clearly needed three in the middle. It should have been a three, with Sigurdsson, Moran and Szmodics up top. A much closer affair, likely. “We’re going to score more than you” only works when you actually do that.

Somewhat prone to overthinking it, but this style of play is set up for developing players that will go on to bigger and better things. Those who give their all in our squad deserve better, but this is what the CEO has publicly instructed the manager to do. The manager could merely be giving the CEO what he wants.

Szmodics, Moran, Brittain and Pickering had good games. Carter and Wharton could do with a spell out of the first team. I’d be cautious to add Hyam to that, but he’s looked poor recently. We move on, Coventry is a tough-but-winnable Wednesday night challenge and QPR should net three points. COYB.

Agree with this. Generally I can see that we can play good football and create chances. But given we can't finish and concede very easily setting up with the one man midfield thing against the best squad in the division just seems a strange thing to do.

At some point something has to give.

And as much as QPR or Coventry should be easier games I think both managers would really fancy playing us if we come into the game in the same way. In many ways its not just that we are open, poor and finishing, easy at conceding... but also we are becoming predictable.

• Like 1

What a throughly demoralising defeat that was. I'll say that 4-1 was pretty damn harsh overall. We just got spanked everytime we made any sort of mistake. I of course can easily find faults with the set up, but I don't overally know what you can do with that squad we had available today. 

JDT has some decisions to make, as being so open and having a centre half partnership that seem completely shot for form/confidence you cannot have teams steaming forwards on the break.

At 3-1 against Leicester at home you take the loss and tighten up a bit, you most certainly don't concede on the break again, that is criminal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Jdt doenst care anymore, he doesnt give a shit. He has no reason to. 

He’s doing what he’s been told to do , develop kids for profit. Packing the midfield might gets us a few extra points but it won’t progress the players . Only people to blame are in india

6 minutes ago, BigBar said:

He can stop shopping goals by forcing the players you mention to do things they are not comfortable with. If that's means packing the midfield and playing off Telalovic then so be it, long ball once in awhile. Stop this fannying about at the back and this nicey nice approach, it's getting us hammered on the regular.

16 minutes ago, booth said:

I agree about Wharton. He’s not ready. Stupid to loan out Buckley.

He’s not ready to play in a two and he’s not ready to play that role. He needs to be playing further forward were losing the ball isn’t such a calamity. We needed a three in midfield today as plenty of us said at 12.00 .

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Leicester never needed to get out of second gear. I am not for a minute saying we should be competing with them but we were comprehensively beaten and I see nothing improving week on week.

So what were the positives?

Our new keeper came on and didnt look like an upgrade.

Our young midfielder we have all had our hopes on pushing us up the league this season and then moving on to balance the books looks worse by the week.

Our Defenders continue to look worse than last season.

We are not scoring goals while conceding an average of 3 a game for the last month or so.

Our new Striker is so bad he is not even brought on when we are chasing a goal, he just waits till the game is over as a competition to send him out.

The only players that look like doing well (Moran and Siggy) have contracts that end in June.

There is no money for January for the manager to make improvements.

The coach appears not to care as he persisits with a style of play that does not suit us.

What are the positives?  

You’re asking the wrong person, there’s no positives to seeing a far better team, with a PL striker, beat your own team that’s been thoroughly left behind by its owners, with no strikers.

Just now, booth said:

You’re asking the wrong person, there’s no positives to seeing a far better team, with a PL striker, beat your own team that’s been thoroughly left behind by its owners, with no strikers.

The original point was from Sweaty Gussets that there were "plenty of positives" you agreed with his general point.

9 minutes ago, booth said:

I’m trying to work out which manager would get a tune out of this squad, combined with the suicidal transfer policy.

Apart from the lack of a proper number 9 for me its a very decent championship squad.

Think finishing much below where we did last season would be poor. 

A decent manager should get more out of this team. Think JDT has misjudged things tactically but is struggling to accept it and change the approach.

• Like 3