BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (h) - 01/10/23

A noon kickoff on Sunday against 2nd placed Leicester City is next up for JDT's free scoring (in the Carabao Cup anyway) team. 

I haven't seen a game for a few weeks but this one is on US TV so I'll be up early to watch. 

2 disappointing league results mean that Rovers are coming into this one facing the prospect of a 3rd defeat on the trot.

Leicester came down from the Prem and lost their best player to Spurs, but still have a lot of their squad left over and have started the season well.

I watched a bit of their game with Liverpool last night. I think that Rovers will struggle. Their back 4 of Pereira-Coady-Suttar-Justin are Premier League calibre. I can't see Rovers breaking through against them, but will hope nonetheless. 

0-0 draw.

Really tough game and hard to see us getting much here. They have the best midfield in the league with Pereira moving from RB to help Ndidi, Winks and Dewsbury Hall out, and they also have Mavidivi and McAteer who are really dangerous wide men and a choice of goalscorers up front.

We definitely need to make sure that at the very least, Travis sits deep alongside Wharton and Wahlsted comes in too. I would strongly consider a third midfielder who could bulk us up in there and also Rankin Costello in for the unfortunate Brittain (no point moving him to LB as his strength is then cancelled out) just for an extra player to drift into midfield.

We have 3 clear choices in attack but in the absence of a definite striker and with 2 of those 3 wanting to play the same role its hard to pick a side with any semblence of balance. So this is a reluctant experiment.

Wahlstedt

Rankin Costello Hill Hyam Pickering

Tronstad Wharton Travis

Moran Szmodics Sigurdsson

Would be content with Leonard up top and Tronstad dropping out though if it was done with Travis sitting much deeper.

(I expect the same line up and tactics as against Ipswich bar maybe Dolan for Leonard if he misses through injury)

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Be very surprised if Whalsted plays.

I imagine Leonard plays up top with Tronstad dropping out from that team.

It would be a real statement if we continue with the ultra attacking football on Sunday. Basically if we play this way against Leicester we are going to setup same way against everybody. 

I'm very interested to see what happens.

For what its worth I think we will play a bit more conservative with an extra mid as @roversfan99 says. But I think more likely Garrett comes in as he has a left foot and scored a good goal mid-week. Also I think as Moran and Sigurdsson seem to like getting in the box (unlike say BBD, Hedges or Gallagher) not having a proper 9 on the pitch could be less of an issue than it was last season. We shall see.

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It would be a real statement if we continue with the ultra attacking football on Sunday. Basically if we play this way against Leicester we are going to setup same way against everybody. 

For what its worth I think we will play a bit more conservative with an extra mid as @roversfan99 says. But I think more likely Garrett comes in as he has a left foot and scored a good goal mid-week. Also I think as Moran and Sigurdsson seem to like getting in the box (unlike say BBD, Hedges or Gallagher) not having a proper 9 on the pitch could be less of an issue than it was last season. We shall see.

Garrett was the other choice in mind and would give balance, and he and Travis could get up and down so I would be happy with that.

Brereton did get into goalscoring positions hence the number of taps ins he scored but I did notice that Sigurdsson also did last night a few times, including his goals and also one that went over the bar. That was a good sign, Telalovic's movement was non existent and he just removed the space for others.

The Cardiff match will have raised expectations but if we play the same way against Leicester there will be only one outcome and it won't be pretty. Cardiff weren't at full strength and played like they were on their holidays but Leicester in the league is a totally different proposition. I can't see anything other than a solid defeat with the team's weaknesses in goal and defence ruthlessly exposed. Leicester 3-0

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

The thing I like about Garrett is he gets up with and beyond the strikers

• Like 1

Needless to say, a real toughie.

More so than ever, team selection key.

Pears and Dolan MUST NOT start. 

Don't blame Leo at all for Cardiff's first goal.  Think Pears is a busted flush.  Time for Leo to sh1t or get off the pot.

As for Dolan - we have far better options and the sooner we get this, IMO, big headed, useless upstart out the building permanently the better.

Head says Leicester (3-1), heart says we will see some magic from Moran, Szmodics and Sigurdsson with Leonard proving again he can be 'our Johnny on the spot' (3-2 to Rovers in a goal thriller).

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Will be a tough game, they’re a good side at this level.

I’d either go with 3 CBs (Hill coming in) or have Tronstad as the pivot in midfield.

This would free A.Wharton up to do his thing further upfield, with either a box to box next to him (Travis/Garrett) or Moran.

I’d go with Szmodics as a false 9, with Sigurdsson and Markanday either side.

Wouldn’t be upset with a point, but we should be aiming to win every home game.

2-1 Rovers.

• Like 1

Sadly I’ll miss this one as I’m off to Ibrox to watch Rangers.

Leicester are the best side in this league by a country mile, it should be a cake walk to the title. The misfiring Jamie Vardy is reportedly on over £100k a week, which really does put things into perspective and shows how tough it is for Championship clubs to compete with Premiership cash.

Rovers 1 Leicester 1 (I hope)

I still think we need to sack off wingers all together.  Without getting too FIFA I'd be playing 4321. 

Wharton shielded by Travis and Tronstad with Garret coming on for legs. 

JRC right back, Brittain left back and play the full flank.  Travis and A.Nother covering.

Szmod and Sigurdson just off Leonard with Moran, Markanday and Telalovic coming on for tired legs 

We've no Wingers, Markanday Szmod and Moran have all played better centrally and Sigurdson with 2 in 2 can only benefit from being in and around the box 

• Like 2

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Leicester City (h) - 01/10/23
  • Herbie6590 pinned this topic

Tough tough game .. 

I'd go with

Leo

Brittain         Carter        Hill         JRC

Tronstad 

Travis          Wharton 

Moran                Szmodicz             Siggy 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Tough tough game .. 

I'd go with

Leo

Brittain         Carter        Hill         JRC

Tronstad 

Travis          Wharton 

Moran                Szmodicz             Siggy 

No Hyam ? I haven’t seen Hill play apart from on TV but he looks quick and decisive plus that was a great pass he launched for Garrett’s goal

I can't see JDT wanted to change his attacking style and wanting to play on the front foot. 

my team would be 

Wahlstedt

Brittain   Hill   Hyam   Pickering

Wharton Tronstad Szmodics

Moran  Leonard Sigurdsson

subs:- Pears Carter JRC Wharton Travis Garrett Markanday Telalovic Dolan

Pears 

JRC     Carter.      Hyam      Pickering 

Travis

Wharton.              Moran

Szmodics.                          Siggurdson 

Leonard 

5 minutes ago, M_B said:

Pears 

JRC     Carter.      Hyam      Pickering 

Travis

Wharton.              Moran

Szmodics.                          Siggurdson 

Leonard 

I think he might play Travis and Tronstad in front of the back four.  Then leave Wharton on the bench and play Moran in his place. So a 4-2-3-1

• Like 1

I expect it will be a cracking game.

Yes Leicester have won all their games except Hull home but several of those wins have been really scruffy which could easily have been losses.

As for Rovers, the old refrain, cut out those errors at the back and take our chances up front. Do that and Leicester willreally struggle.

20 minutes ago, philipl said:

I expect it will be a cracking game.

Yes Leicester have won all their games except Hull home but several of those wins have been really scruffy which could easily have been losses.

As for Rovers, the old refrain, cut out those errors at the back and take our chances up front. Do that and Leicester willreally struggle.

Based on what? Leicester are one of the best teams in this league

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think he might play Travis and Tronstad in front of the back four.  Then leave Wharton on the bench and play Moran in his place. So a 4-2-3-1

Yeah, good shout, I think you're right that Moran definitely plays over Wharton if it's a choice between the two, he was impressive last night. 

I suppose you'd say the choice between Wharton and Tronstad is the one that determines  Tomasson's approach.