BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (h) - 01/10/23

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

This argument about training is nonsense. Where it matters in games, Pears has made 5 errors leading to goals in the last 6 games or so. Tomasson also picked Pears over a goalkeeper we saw in games was a lot better. Pears continuing in goal does not make it the right decision by Tomasson.

If Tomasson was happy with Pears why did we spend 800k on a sub? 

It isn't just training though. Wahlstedt will have had a number of games including u23, cup and behind closed doors. The point is, unfortunately, based on these, the management and coaching staff, have deemed him not yet ready to take over from Pears. The fact that he isn't is obviously not great news, but hopefully medium/ longer term he'll prove a good signing.

• Like 1

They don't want a first team squad here at Rovers now they just want a development squad that is a step up from U21s and hopefully good enough to stay in this league.

That's the top and bottom of it all we'll see in near future is a further reduction of the wages and selling to pay bills, what we are seeing with the keeper and striker positions is just a reflection of that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

They don't want a first team squad here at Rovers now they just want a development squad that is a step up from U21s and hopefully good enough to stay in this league.

That's the top and bottom of it all we'll see in near future is a further reduction of the wages and selling to pay bills, what we are seeing with the keeper and striker positions is just a reflection of that.

IMG_5285.thumb.jpeg.e0e10808c75efb956efc75cf2eafbbb4.jpeg

Worrying that this is the final word on the interview. Perhaps I’m overanalysing, but is JDT proving a point here by picking players to develop over players to win games? Maybe to prove a point?

• Like 4

It's been clear for many years that the ambition, if you can call it that, is to develop young players and sell them on for a profit. The goal is not to get promotion, that would be just be a bonus.

You can see that in the recruitment this summer, they're all players that need developing for different reasons and therefore were unlikely to hit the ground running. 

Why the owners want to stick around when they are losing £20m a year to achieve nothing is beyond belief. 

• Like 5

We’ve lost to lesser clubs recently, the prospects of playing Leicester at the present time do not appear to be good. 

I will be driving home from east Texas during the game, so I will be able to listen on ESPN+. Rovers will give it a great effort, alas, I cannot see anything better than 2-3. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

IMG_5285.thumb.jpeg.e0e10808c75efb956efc75cf2eafbbb4.jpeg

Worrying that this is the final word on the interview. Perhaps I’m overanalysing, but is JDT proving a point here by picking players to develop over players to win games? Maybe to prove a point?

Indeed, just as the guy before him ended up doing then coming out with his line about not bothered about league position as long as he felt individuals were progressing.

It all starts at the top.

1 hour ago, WacoRover said:

We’ve lost to lesser clubs recently, the prospects of playing Leicester at the present time do not appear to be good. 

I will be driving home from east Texas during the game, so I will be able to listen on ESPN+. Rovers will give it a great effort, alas, I cannot see anything better than 2-3. 

Great thats its on ESPN+, means we don't have to use RoversTV again! Shame KO is at 7am though. 

Going for a hard fought draw. Maybe 1-1

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

It's been clear for many years that the ambition, if you can call it that, is to develop young players and sell them on for a profit. The goal is not to get promotion, that would be just be a bonus.

You can see that in the recruitment this summer, they're all players that need developing for different reasons and therefore were unlikely to hit the ground running. 

Why the owners want to stick around when they are losing £20m a year to achieve nothing is beyond belief. 

Sorry but how has it been clear for many years that the plan is to develop and sell players.

In the last 13 years you can count on one hand the amount of players we have developed and sold on 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Sorry but how has it been clear for many years that the plan is to develop and sell players.

In the last 13 years you can count on one hand the amount of players we have developed and sold on 

That's because they are not very good at it like everything else football related.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Venkys said it way back when Kean was appointed. It doesn't matter how many they've actually developed when you factor in their blind stupidity.

Going by the warped logic of the Championship I’m going for a thumping win in this one. That’s one thing I’ve learned from all these years in this league. It’s not like the PL where most matches are decided before kickoff amid the occasional upset that confirms the rule. In this league…chaos. So….a hard fought 2-0 for the mighty Rovers!

Edit: 2-0 is a thumping win

Edited by moerpho
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, moerpho said:

Going by the warped logic of the Championship I’m going for a thumping win in this one. That’s one thing I’ve learned from all these years in this league. It’s not like the PL where most matches are decided before kickoff amid the occasional upset that confirms the rule. In this league…chaos. So….a hard fought 2-0 for the mighty Rovers!

Edit: 2-0 is a thumping win

Any win for us with a nil involved, is a thumping win.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

How much clearer can the club make it? They say it every year. It's not a secret. 

2019  academy prospect Raya was sold

2021 young signing then developed Adam Armstrong was sold for 3 times more than was paid.

In between Bradley Dack would have been sold had he not been injured and Ben Brereton was signed with the clear intention to develop and sell for profit.

Of course that has always been the intention it was just never forced on Mowbray but he raked in at the time c7 million profit on those two. So the funders were happy value was going into the squad and there when needed.

Now sales are being forced again but they wouldn't be able to be if there wasn't value, even small value from developed players.  The real issue is the gross incompetence of them letting 4 or 5 players slip through the net for nothing.

I doubt that was the intention but somewhere along the line they all right royally ballsed up again.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Adam Armstrong scoring for fun again. Boy we could do with that at the moment. 

Any player with an eye and instinct for goal would be having a ball with the Rovers at the moment, with the chances we create. Armstrong would be ideal, with his speed, anticipation and positional sense. His problem (if you could call it that) is that he isn't really a team player, but more of a maverick.

Where we need to really focus our efforts for the next set of fixtures would be on eliminating the tendency to stand off players when defending, and being a bit more solid in the goalkeeping dept. I'd bet on us to nick a goal or two against most teams in this division, but if we concede three regularly, there is only one direction of travel.

4 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I traveled through east Texas

Where many martyrs fell

And I know no one can sing the blues

Like … ….

Apologies, I couldn’t help it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

Honestly? So you won't be watching the game because of who the goalkeeper is?

One of the things about Message Boards is that they don't have "Irony filters". And while I don't know @ItsRoverZ , I wouldn't be surprised if his comment was an ironic one.

After all, Pears is very much of a "Marmite character", isn't he? You know, "I may never have knowingly eaten anything with Marmite on it but that doesn't stop me 'knowing' I wouldn't like it.

My initial feeling when reading this thread was that I don't remember reading a preview thread with such low expectations of the game.

So I'll play the odd one out, and expect a Rovers win. Maybe with a penalty awarded by a benevolent referee; but "a win is a win", isn't it?

Edited by R0verb0y
I decided to combine a prediction with my earlier post.

7 hours ago, Gutted said:

It isn't just training though. Wahlstedt will have had a number of games including u23, cup and behind closed doors. The point is, unfortunately, based on these, the management and coaching staff, have deemed him not yet ready to take over from Pears. The fact that he isn't is obviously not great news, but hopefully medium/ longer term he'll prove a good signing.

But in games, where it matters, Pears has averaged pretty much a goal causing error across the last 6 games. It can just also be that Tomasson has poor judgement, managers often have blind spots towards players, hes making a mistake here. Last season he decided to not change back to Kaminski when fit, we know how good Kaminski was, so the wrong call was made.

Maybe Tomasson does think weve got a dud and I appreciate that, but the performance standards of Pears are so low where it matters thats its worth a go.