BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Leicester City (h) - 01/10/23

4 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

You think JRC is that much better than Brittan? I am not so sure, I do like him but I think Brittan is the better fullback. I also think we should be playing a mid field 3 to really unlock Wharton as a playmaker, rather than leaving him isolated and having to chase back and defend. Whcih to be fair he just doesn't do.

Yes. For the better part of a year JRC has controlled a lot of games from a fullback position. Brittain’s strengths for me seem to be traditional wing play, he’s very good at crossing. Subbing him on to see out games cost us several times last season and since he’s come in for JRC we have shipped a frightening number of goals, primarily due to our midfield being left exposed.

Modern managers are all about keepers ‘being effective with their feet’, Pears is obviously the lower league Ederson then as the rest of his game simply isn’t up to the standard of a first choice Championship goalkeeper. It has and will continue to cost us points, and that’s purely on JDT.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Pears starting is a real head-scratcher, but he’s mentioned training performances and we know he expects consistently good performances there before he lets a player into the first team. I can only chalk it up to something on the training ground.

Flip side (and this is a reach): he’s hanging Pears out to dry against an almost laughably proficient attacking side, in Leicester. He could concede a bucketload against them. After that, Pears would have no complaints being dropped.

Think we’ll see Telalovic up top. My opinion on him after his initial introduction hasn’t changed and this is a very tough ask against the defence that Leicester has. Best hope for us is he can provide an outlet to hold the ball up and play in on-running midfielders, which to be fair to him, his through ball to Szmodics demonstrated he can do.

The reactive move to facing Leicester would be Wharton and Tronstad in the middle. I’m not convinced Travis has the sense of positional responsibility to provide cover that I believe Tronstad has. I’d have liked Hedges in as an outball and catalyst for moves, as well as good cover for right back. JRC should start if we have the above middle pairing, to provide a body in midfield and someone with a bit of natural spark when carrying the ball. Brittain has been very solid, though and JRC hasn’t quite hit last season’s heights in his appearances so far. I expect Brittain to get the nod.

Pickering is going to get targeted, meaning we need somebody tracking back from the left. Moran has done this to an extent, but I think Siggy was pushing harder on that front, in his cameos. Whether he’s got enough in the tank to start is probably the decider.

This is a v tough ask, so I don’t think our season hangs on it and won’t be too concerned with a loss, unless we ship a lot of goals, which is a danger. Having said that, losing is a bad habit and three in the league is a confidence knocker.

Hoping for a 3-2 win, expecting the reverse result. 

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Modern managers are all about keepers ‘being effective with their feet’, Pears is obviously the lower league Ederson then as the rest of his game simply isn’t up to the standard of a first choice Championship goalkeeper. It has and will continue to cost us points, and that’s purely on JDT.

To be honest I didn't feel that Leo looked much better on Wednesday night.  I suspect we might end up with a goalkeeping issue as the season progresses.  Just hope Pears finds the form he showed at the back end of last season or that Leo settles and begins to impress JDT in training.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

To be honest I didn't feel that Leo looked much better on Wednesday night.  I suspect we might end up with a goalkeeping issue as the season progresses.  Just hope Pears finds the form he showed at the back end of last season or that Leo settles and begins to impress JDT in training.

Their two goals hit the side netting.

Pears has thrown 5 into the back of his own net in the last few games. 

Not even comparable.

• Like 6

With Leonard out for a few weeks I think I'd rather go with 4-3-3 and a front 3 of Szmodics, Siggy and Moran and bulk up this midfield with either Garret/Tronsted/JRC alongside Travis and Wharton.

So so so frustrating that we've got to sit and watch another 90 of Pears. 

• Like 1

After Pears contributed more than any other player to our defeat at Ipswich I really am surprised he is starting. I have defended Pears and understood Tomasson's persistence with him but last Saturday was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

• Like 5

We've all seen good managers make poor judgements when it comes to goalkeepers. I'm thinking of Guardiola with Bravo and Klopp with Karius. He was too stubborn to drop him despite him playing crap, and it ended up costing them the champs league.

But at least they were their own signings they were standing by. Simply cannot fathom JDTs faith in The Pear.