BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FA cup replays scrapped

57 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I sincerely hope all the major FA Cup sponsors pull out in protest at this. I don't expect them to but they really do have some clout. Bullingham is now saying that this was agreed with several other organisations including a four man EFL committee. Whose best interests are they representing? I wouldn't trust Rick Parry with anything.

Presumably it was the four on this list

IMG_1624.jpeg.e55c5e6367752b8bcc263e3227acecf8.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Somebody is telling lies here. 

Or everybody is…

The EFL statement in full:

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/19/efl-statement--fa-cup-replays/

Edited to add - if the EFL had any balls they’d state none of their clubs will be entering next year if replays are not reinstated.

Instead they’ll just push for some sort of ‘compensation package’.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

we are in danger of making english football so top heavy financially with one division that it`ll end up like rugby union and rugby league,all the money going to the top and leaving nothing for anyone else,hence the state of english rugby,one pro division and the rest having to turn part time in order to survive,no relegation because the lower league sides could`nt afford to be competetive if they did get promoted,makes a terrible spectacle,i fear we are heading this way,though football being far more popular than rugby,it hopefully won`t happen

The thing that always strikes me when something like this happens is always the blasé nature of the announcement and the sheer lack of thought put in to the decision.

Just like when the super league was announced with half a website and no concrete plans on how it would actually function alongside other competitions, this has been announced in a sort of "by the way" tone, seemingly oblivious to any pushback that might occur. The lack of awareness is staggering.

For what it's worth I don't think clubs being reliant on fa cup replays to remain in business is indicative of a healthy system but if the way money is distributed down the pyramid is not changed radically then they simply have to remain. Aside from the monetary gain, they make the cup unique and it's satisfying to make bigger clubs play you again.

Big clubs crying player welfare is laughable, you have massive squads and the best academies in the country. Use them

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Silas said:

The Premier League crapping on all below them as per. 

The EFL has urged the FA to "re-evaluate their approach", stating there was "no agreement" prior to the deal being announced and no "formal consultation".

12 hours ago, Hasta said:

I'd have left the FA Cup and would have made the League cup a competition for non-European clubs. Gives the European clubs time off in October to February. It devalues the league cup further but does give non-Euro clubs a better chance of progression / Wembley. If you won it you would still be buzzing. 

It would probably lose its European place for the winner, although you could introduce an end of season play off between the League Cup Winners and the highest place Premier side that hadn't qualified for Europe for the final slot.

Absolutely agree with you, although the winners only qualify for the European Conference League, the third ranked Competition. The " Top tier " Premier League sides involved in Europe should be exempted from the EFL ( Carabao ) Cup, which should reduce their games by 3-5 per season. I'd also get rid of the two-leg EFL Cup Semi-Finals, and have one game, at neutral venues .. 

As for the FA Cup, I'd go back to regionalising the 1/2nd Round games, and keep replays !! This was the case until the late 1990's, and would reduce travel costs for Clubs & fans alike. From round 3 onwards, I'd give any Club ranked in a lower Division drawn at home, the choice to switch the tie should they wish ! They can then make the choice of say, Marine hosting Tottenham at their tiny ground for one memorable day, or giving their players and fans a day out at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium, with the much higher gate receipts and securing the Clubs future for a couple of years ...

• Like 1

If the EFL had any balls they'd say no problem, no premier league teams in the EFL cup and by the way you can stop entering your U21 sides in the EFL Trophy.

Hopefully common sense prevails and they'll do a u-turn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamieUK said:

If the EFL had any balls they'd say no problem, no premier league teams in the EFL cup and by the way you can stop entering your U21 sides in the EFL Trophy.

Hopefully common sense prevails and they'll do a u-turn.

Common sense or money, I wonder which will prevail.

The EFL won't bite the hand that drip feeds it therefore after a bit of posturing nothing will happen.

The big 6 run football in this country in conjunction with the biggest paying tv companies and for me the sooner they all do one to their nonsense money laundering Super League the better.

Take their plastic fans with them, football will survive just fine.

• Like 3

The FA Cup died years ago when the top PL clubs started fielding reserve teams. The argument that it’s necessary to scrap replays to reduce the fixture schedule is not the true reason. The reason is that the European Super League is being brought in via the back door. 

67FAFC08-B6B0-473E-885C-73EF997E469F.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Classic Rovers, either slow to respond to anything, or spineless.

I’d be surprised if they knew anything about it. (In India, I mean).

Edited by den
  • Like 1

Football is a reflection of wider society. Just look around you and think about what's been going on for the past 40 years.

The rich do what they want, they make the rules to suit them and the rest have to follow. The rich are getting ever wealthier and more powerful while the poor are left with the crumbs under the table. 

The Premier League and the big European clubs are is a big part of all this. It's not a surprise. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2