BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

rover.gif we are around the 46-48 pts in many sites i have seen,i am waiting for our squad to be finalised before making the plunge,at the moment i will not be gambling as i cannot see us amassing that amount off points but,if we do make a positive signing or two i maybe tempted tinykit.gif

rover.gif we are around the 46-48 pts in many sites i have seen,i am waiting for our squad to be finalised before making the plunge,at the moment i will not be gambling as i cannot see us amassing that amount off points but,if we do make a positive signing or two i maybe tempted tinykit.gif

You know any internet sites where I can make such a bet?

Edited by krislu

www.SportingIndex.com

Caution! When you open an account your losses are UNLIMITED. Ie if rovers die in the league and we say get 20pts over the season with a stake of a mere fiver you would lose 26x5- £130.

I hjad a look myself and while it sounds like a decent quote, we had an awful season last time and got 44pts, on the other hand I cannot really see us getting more than 52pts. A few injuries and we might hemorrage so be careful with how much you put on.

www.SportingIndex.com

Caution! When you open an account your losses are UNLIMITED. Ie if rovers die in the league and we say get 20pts over the season with a stake of a mere fiver you would lose 26x5- £130.

I hjad a look myself and while it sounds like a decent quote, we had an awful season last time and got 44pts, on the other hand I cannot really see us getting more than 52pts. A few injuries and we might hemorrage so be careful with how much you put on.

Ok, thanks.

Lets say I put £20 on that bet, and we finish with 47p, will I win anything at all then?

And for every point above 48 I will win another £20, but then again lose £20 for each point under 46 at the end of the season, right?

This season I think it will be very close from 5-6th down to 14-16th, but I still feel we can get atleast 50p...

I'm a bit of a novice at the spread betting so feel free to point out my error but if you buy at 48 and we get 47 points you will lose £20. It's obviously a fairly big risk but I think 50 points is achievable so it may be worth a punt. I can't check whilst i'm at work but make sure you have a look around as you could get a better price. Cantor sport & IG sport are two others off the top of my head. Usually they will be the same but if you can get an extra point it's worth it.

cheers

Andrew Cole

"I'll give a hundred per cent every time I play. Whatever line of business you're in, if you give it your all you'll get respect, and that's what I'll be doing here. I always seem to have had a decent rapport with the fans of every club I've been at because they've recognised that when I play, I always give it my all and that's the most important thing."

What ?

Bye Andrew.

Some of Rovers' performances last season veered between tragi-comedy and pantomime but their preparations for the new season are becoming nothing short of farcical.

The lead role in all this is, of course, is being played by the grand dame Souness, whose transfer policy (if he has one) continues to defy logic and gives the appearance of a struggling manager who has lost the plot and is making it up as he goes along.

In the past week we have had the curious bid for Moore, reported interest in yet another defender, Finnan, and the continuing on/off, is he staying/is he going saga involving Dwight Yorke. All three raise questions about Souness’s stewardship of the club and the prospects for next season.

Why, for instance, would Souness want to sign Moore when we already have nine (!) senior defenders, including four centre backs, on the books? And why would he wish to sign Finnan, a right back, when the position is already held by Neill, reputedly one of Souness’s favourite players?

Why, also, the about-turn that has seen Yorke, seemingly so out in the cold that he was left out of the pre-season tour, return to favour with hints that he may even be offered a new contract? Yorke did not look remotely interested in playing for the club for most of last season and Souness repeatedly criticised his attitude and lifestyle, so what has changed? Nothing, I would suggest, except that Souness has been ordered to make peace with Yorke by the board because the club cannot get rid of the player and has to continue paying his exorbitant wages.

Last season, Souness increasingly gave the impression of a man who did not know what he was doing. His antics as the big kick-off approaches merely reinforces that view in my opinion.

Some of Rovers' performances last season veered between tragi-comedy and pantomime but their preparations for the new season are becoming nothing short of farcical.

The lead role in all this is, of course, is being played by the grand dame Souness, whose transfer policy (if he has one) continues to defy logic and gives the appearance of a struggling manager who has lost the plot and is making it up as he goes along.

In the past week we have had the curious bid for Moore, reported interest in yet another defender, Finnan, and the continuing on/off, is he staying/is he going saga involving Dwight Yorke. All three raise questions about Souness’s stewardship of the club and the prospects for next season.

Why, for instance, would Souness want to sign Moore when we already have nine (!) senior defenders, including four centre backs, on the books? And why would he wish to sign Finnan, a right back, when the position is already held by Neill, reputedly one of Souness’s favourite players?

Why, also, the about-turn that has seen Yorke, seemingly so out in the cold that he was left out of the pre-season tour, return to favour with hints that he may even be offered a new contract? Yorke did not look remotely interested in playing for the club for most of last season and Souness repeatedly criticised his attitude and lifestyle, so what has changed? Nothing, I would suggest, except that Souness has been ordered to make peace with Yorke by the board because the club cannot get rid of the player and has to continue paying his exorbitant wages.

Last season, Souness increasingly gave the impression of a man who did not know what he was doing. His antics as the big kick-off approaches merely reinforces that view in my opinion.

Whilst I would never wish to be associated with Jim's tongue in cheek clouds of depression, I have to say I hope that Souness' judgement hasn't begun to crack.

I hope w don't sign Craig Moore with his dodgy knees

I hope we don't sign Steve Finnan, I have ultimate faith in Lucas Neill. Despite last season's blemishes, he is a quality footballer with two great feet,

I hope we sell Dwight Yorke as soon as the first bid hits Ewood, which according to JW today, so far there hasn't been one.

I hope we sign an exciting CF to replace Yorke, a player with a bit of the unpredictable about him.

I hope Matteo plays in defence alongside Amoruso and not in midfield.

I hope we play WBA with Emerton Thompson Ferguson and DePedro in midfield.

And I hope the Al Qaeda suspects that have just been arrested in Cherry Tree don't come back in bad moods !

Wonder if Jim was complaining when we signed Gray last season, as we already had Gresko doing a decent job at left back at the time (considering the lack of cover he was getting).

A very thought provoking post by jim there, which include questions that Ive been asking myself.

Just over a week to go before the start of the season and suddenly a defender is the top priority by Souness.

Could it be the loss of Reid due to injury, that we now dont have cover at right back. Although the attempted signing of Moore a centre half doesnt explain that senario.

The biggest puzzle is the Yorke saga, which opens a bag of questions.

Was there a replacement striker lined up, and the deal fell through.

Has the board put their foot down and told Souness to sort his personal attitude. Which has already cost us by loosing Cole.

Has Dickov not come up to expectations.

Is it a case of putting Yorke in the shop window.

My optimistic thoughts for the season, are currently on a downward slope and I am starting to understand why there has been a decline in season ticket sales.

There is no BUZZ around the club, where is the FEEL GOOD factor.

Alan, very much my reaction but perhaps some hard decisions are being made now that the lads are back in pre-season training:

- Nissa is getting a welcome extended run but by all accounts is still making errors. In the Prem, that will mean goals conceded, points lost

- Flitty is hardly showing pre-season. Perhaps physically and mentally not up to it

- ditto Tugay (one of my favourites)

- Neill doesn't seem to have solved his problems from last season

- ditto Emerton

- no surprise that Short will not be able to play 38 Prem games

The lack of feel good has probably far more to do with these clawing realisations amongst the fans than anything else.

Yes, it can be argued that Souness is being reactive. But if he is reacting to the fact that his midfield looks like it will have a soft under-belly again, trying Matteo as holding mid-fielder is very sensible as was looking at a central defender as mobile as Moore used to be.

If he is reacting to big question marks on the right (the interest in Finnan as a more than adequate fall back at right back), again totally right.

If he and the Board have reacted to a financial headache as much as a football/morale problem in replacing Cole with Dickov, they have done the right thing.

If the way they are handling Dwight Yorke produces either a more motivated player or some half a million transfer income, again, its the right thing to do. Either outcome seemed totally impossible ten days ago.

You could argue that only the big clubs can set out a strategic plan and not be driven by reaction but I doubt it feels that way at Arsenal this morning if the Spanish Radio report is true.

Don't get me wrong, I remain deeply sceptical about Souness and a few rubbish results coming from tactical ineptitude will certainly exhaust my renewed patience.

But at this stage, we have a team which in reverse order of importance

- has not had any nasty pre-season results,

- avoided the drop by 11 points despite a massive under performance,

- includes de Pedro and a rapidly getting fit Ferguson

I feel justified in retaining some optimism and I do not want us rushing out to sign any old fifth choice striker.

So Moore is no longer coming due to terms failing. Oh well, wouldn’t say it’s the end of the world. Never mind eh!!!

As for pre season I feel it has gone very well. 6 games, 6 wins and 0 goals conceded. Ok we haven’t played much but I think you will find the camp in Germany helped our players a lot and helped them gain a big fitness level.

Dickov for Cole? Well if you go off last season. Cole was mediocre and Dickov managed 12 league goals for a relegated team so not a bad move in my eye.

De Pedro – A lot of the rovers players have mentioned how he has a sweet left foot and takes a mean free kick so that could be a good plus and give us much more width and balance.

Matteo – Looks a very good addition and to be fair came very very cheap for a player of his calibre.

Finally Yorke – Not a bad move by souey. Dropped him, slagged him off and got a reaction, so told the lad to prove his worth so he now intends to. This I feel will work wonders for Yorkes game.

So if I was to sum it all up Id say fantastic work Souness. I for 1 am behind you 100%

I think your post is a bit overly optimistic Hughesy but no a good alternative to the pathetically negaitve slant put on things by Jim.

I'm happy with all the comings and goings although i'm having doubts about Dickov. I will however gladly give him at least a few months to show something as opposed to writing him off straight away.

Yorke staying could make up for Cole going as both have had about the same goal ratio for the last 2 years and if anything Yorke is a more skillful player. With a decent runner it could well work.

Cautiously optimistic but still a little nervous is how i'd describe myself at the moment.

- Nissa is getting a welcome extended run but by all accounts is still making errors. In the Prem, that will mean goals conceded, points lost

Every single player we have makes mistakes yet only Nissa seems to be expected to never make them. If we didn't play Amoruso because he'd make mistakes then we's never have seen the long-haired Italian!

Central defenders need runs in the team so they can slowly get used to their defensive partner, just like forwards can build up an understanding with a partner.

Nissa will have off and on games if he is continually shoved in and out of the team and often asked to play out of position (left back then left midfiled for crying out loud). It's about time Souness gave him a run to find out if he is the answer or not. The belief that central defenders only come into their own about 30 years of age is a load of rubbish and isn't backed up by facts. Players like Keeley, Faz, Berg, Hendry, Short, Henchoz etc etc all got in the team (not necessarily Rovers) in their early to mid twenties and while they may have developed over the years Nissa aint going to do that in the reserves.

It's about time Souness gave Nissa the chance to sink or swim, if he is serious about playing Matteo in midfield this could be the perfect time. If it doesn't work then go after another Moore-type without such dodgy knees. Otherwise you've saved the 500k or whatever and have a player who ( thanks to regular first team football and the growth in confidence that would come from knowing you have a manager that actually believes in you) is finally living up to their potential and growing in stature and belief as a player. Time to let the Nissa out if you ask me!

As for Jim - well, he may be overly negative as always but he makes some very good points. For better or worse they'll be answered a few games into the season.

I cannot believe how utterly, utterly blind the majority on here are.

We had a squad that was, quite frankly, useless last season, the quality has been eroded by selling Cole and buying Dick**** and you expect better things?

Spread betting companies set us a low target on purpose. They don't think we'll get there. I for one tend to agree (remember they make money from point BELOW- not above and if they're basically giving relegation-like points to start with, it doesn't take a genius to realise they expect us to get fewer..................)

Edited by Jan

The lead role in all this is, of course, is being played by the grand dame Souness, whose transfer policy (if he has one) continues to defy  logic and gives the appearance of a struggling manager who has lost the plot and is making it up as he goes along.

In the past week we have had the curious bid for Moore, reported interest in yet another defender, Finnan,  and the continuing on/off, is he staying/is he going saga involving Dwight Yorke. All three raise questions about Souness’s stewardship of the club and the prospects for next season.

Why, also, the about-turn that has seen Yorke, seemingly so out in the cold that he was left out of the pre-season tour, return to favour with hints that he may even be offered  a new contract? Yorke did not look remotely interested in playing for the club for most of last season and Souness repeatedly criticised his attitude and lifestyle, so what has changed? Nothing, I would suggest, except that Souness has been ordered to make peace with Yorke by the board because the club cannot get rid of the player and has to continue paying his exorbitant wages.

Last season, Souness increasingly gave the impression of a man who did not know what he was doing.  His antics as the big kick-off approaches merely reinforces that view in my opinion.

Some very good comments.

Whilst not being a fully fledged member of the Souness-out brigade I have to admit to being baffled by what is going on, especially with the Yorke saga.

Some members will just instantly dismiss your comments but I suggest those people are wearing blue and white specs. There are no signs that last season's off the field amatuerism is likely to improve.

Edited by mjs

Jan you clearly know less about Spread betting than you do about football. They set the spread at what they predict you will get. It is having that spread that they make money. They make money either way dependant upon your bet. If they truly thought you would get less but set the spread deliberately high then they would be fast out of business.

Why are you even on here anyway as you have stated you won't come back so why not wait till Souness goes. When we start coming on to the Celtic board stating our opnions on all things green & white then feel free to come back and mock.

I had to post more on this as I am amazed not only at your stupidity but that you would make such comments when you balatantly no nowt. If the bookies predict us a spread of 46-48 for points it means they think we'll get 47. They don't care if you buy or sell as they aim to have enough people trade off and they make the money from the spread. If 10 people buy at 48 but no-one sells then the price will go up accordingly.

Edited by Manchester Blue

I Agree that Nissa should be given a chance because I remember when we played at Old Trafford a couple of seasons back and in that game he was outstanding. So he can do its just wether or not he can do it on a weekly basis. But I think if we played him in the defence with amo and matteo just infront then he could learn a lot and grow in confidence a lot.

I've probably spent more than you have on following Rovers over the past years. I therefore believe that I can make any comments I like about the direction the team is going in.

I really don't care what you think. I love the club and hate the team and manager and until either of those changes I'll have my say on here.

Why do you do it, Jan?

Do you think that you have a genuinely informative view to share with us all? Or do you set out to be as irritating/ insulting as possible because hardly anyone shares your "Souness must leave, all the players are awful, the forces of darkness are taking over the planet." fantasy?

Because it very much looks like the latter.

Bookies set the spread to maximise income, I'd have thought they'd do it from a market-led perspective (ie the relative frequencies of people thinking we'd finish on less/ more than x amount of points) rather than a fixed-odds perspective (ie what are the relative probabilities of us finishing on less/ more than x number of points).

With doom-sayers like you about I guess it's not surprising they set our spread low.

PS: Well done, you have got my back up, doesn't happen too often on here these days.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.