BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

For once the bookies have got it wrong.

I have Souey's as one of the safest job's in the Prem.

Since the wobbles towards the end of last season he has moulded the core of the team around players who admire him and would run through a brick wall for him.

On top of that I reckon we have a pretty good side as well which is gonna surprise more than the odd big gun.

Top six this season no worries.

The key this season is going to be the injuries, and it could well play a major role in Souey's future. If we go through the season without any major injuries, and without ever losing more than 2 or 3 of our top 20 players than I think we could be in for a good season.

For me this will be the year where we will have to decide if Souness is on the right track, and if he is moulding a team that will both secure our premiership status and help us go onto better things, or if he has taken the club as far as he can. From what it looks like, I think the club is going in the right direction now after some reshaping, patience may well be the key, but we could see some relative short term success. Top 10 finish this season, or maybe even sneak 6th, who knows.

Impressive optimism, however I don't share it with you. I'll be impressed if Souness can guide this team to a top 10 finish, let alone still be the manager when the season ends.

Wish I could be more optimistic about the season ahead. Still can't wait for it to start though.

In case anyone missed the LET today, the Sports Editor,Paul Plunkett, had an article entitled "Odds are against Souey". Apparently he is 7-1 third favourite to be the first mangerial casualty in the Premiership. Ahead of him are Keegan (4-1) and Moyes (6-1). Bobby Robson is 9-1.

He's only 10/1 at Ladbrokes - the same as Jacques Santini.

I was in Edinburgh on Saturday and was listening to football phone in on Radio Scotland and Alex Mcleish was getting a right slating from fans because Rangers only drew with Aberdeen, with most fans calling for him to be sacked after just one game, hope we dont get like that next Saturday if we dont get all 3 points

With reference to new signings, my main grouse is that despite being painfully short of attacking pace in the squad last year we have not attempted to remedy this. De Pedro and Dickov are hardly speed merchants are they? Our build up play is often far too slow and square to trouble good defences and is indicated by our record penaltyless(?) season. Just compare this to Portsmouth where HR has signed Lua Lua to play alongside Yakubo, with Berko pulling the strings in front of a defensive midfield. As we know to our cost last season they will cause other teams big problems, especially away from home.

The current rules re: fouling attackers by the last man mean that more than ever before genuine pace will always trouble most defenders (as we know all to well! sad.gif ) so the option of having a genuinly quick player, even one who is not top quality, can provide enough options to change the balance of a game.

btw Dont ask me who I'd go for though but Matt Jansen regrettably would have to be the one to make way.

Edited by thenodrog

Bring this back to the top.

Mustn't let our dear manager think he is never far away from our thoughts.

Hope you sleep well Graeme, because wondering who is going to score goals for us this season is giving me nightmares.

Hope you sleep well Graeme...

Speaking of sleep Jim, what are you doing up at this hour? Did you palm your sedatives again? Hope the nurses don't catch you. In closing, bah, humbug, the youth of today, etc.

With reference to new signings, my main grouse is that despite being painfully short of attacking pace in the squad last year we have not attempted to remedy this. De Pedro and Dickov are hardly speed merchants are they? Our build up play is often far too slow and square to trouble good defences and is indicated by our record penaltyless(?) season. Just compare this to Portsmouth where HR has signed Lua Lua to play alongside Yakubo, with Berko pulling the strings in front of a defensive midfield. As we know to our cost last season they will cause other teams big problems, especially away from home.

The current rules re: fouling attackers by the last man mean that more than ever before genuine pace will always trouble most defenders (as we know all to well! sad.gif ) so the option of having a genuinly quick player, even one who is not top quality, can provide enough options to change the balance of a game.

btw Dont ask me who I'd go for though but Matt Jansen regrettably would have to be the one to make way.

Perhaps Souness realizes this, which would explain his interest in El Hadmouai (who is described as a very pacy forward).

Like jim, though, I'm still wondering where the goals are going to come from.

Bring this back to the top.

Mustn't let our dear manager think he is never far away from our thoughts.

Hope you sleep well Graeme, because wondering who is going to score goals for us this season is giving me nightmares.

By 'eck, it's refreshing to know that you and Jan are still banging the same drum as you were before I went on maternity leave and Jude's 8 months old now. Someone's not listening to you. ohmy.gif

Never mind, there's no Peter Reid this season so Graeme's odds of getting the boot have to be shorter, but you might try giving him the benefit of the doubt, just until after Saturday...? wink.gif

I reckon Brownie's right, he'll surprise everybody by making this team produce what even the most optimistic aren't expecting, goal-fest winners week in, week out.

Somebody re-raise this in October and see whether he's still here... If he isn't, I'll eat my hat.

With reference to new signings, my main grouse is that despite being painfully short of attacking pace in the squad last year we have not attempted to remedy this.  De Pedro and Dickov are hardly speed merchants are they?  Our build up play is often far too slow and square to trouble good defences and is indicated by our record penaltyless(?) season.  Just compare this to Portsmouth where HR has signed Lua Lua to play alongside Yakubo, with Berko pulling the strings in front of a defensive midfield.  As we know to our cost last season they will cause other teams big problems, especially away from home. 

Perhaps Souness realizes this, which would explain his interest in El Hadmouai (who is described as a very pacy forward).

Like jim, though, I'm still wondering where the goals are going to come from.

i am hoping and praying that beyond all odds, that little dickov will repeat his form of last season. for me, him hitting double digits will be miraculous, if not nigh on impossible.

at the risk of being slated, i believe that stead will struggle this season, and while he may get some goals, will be nowhere as prolific as last season.

although i feel this way, i still hope that i'm proven wrong! so come'on! hope the players prove me wrong!

regarding the point towards pacy forwards, our lack of pace is not only obvious up front... but also in our defence... think amo and matteo or nissa... they are big... but certainly not fast... *gulp*

• 1 year later...

Had a couple of requests to re-open this thread. We'll just wait to see what happens but it might get closed again.

Yes I really wanted to start a campaign to get Souness re-instated. I feel that he is somewhat misunderstood, mostly by his players who insist on playing out of position in mysterious formations. It is a long time since we were treated to some complete misfit from Spain or Italy playing in blue and white and whilst Hughes made a heroic attempt at emulating the master motivator in meaningless games by losing away to Brum and West Brom, it was pathetic that we were not doubled over by Sunderland as well.

We've given Hughes and his backroom contracts to 2009- I'm sure there's room for Souey to get a contract for kicking players in the five a side until 2019 and telling anyone who will listen that they are a pansy.

Edited by philipl

Yes I really wanted to start a campaign to get Souness re-instated. I feel that he is somewhat misunderstood, mostly by his players who insist on playing out of position in mysterious formations. It is a long time since we were treated to some complete misfit from Spain or Italy playing in blue and white and whilst Hughes made a heroic attempt at emulating the master motivator in meaningless games by losing away to Brum and West Brom, it was pathetic that we were not doubled over by Sunderland as well.

We've given Hughes and his backroom contracts to 2009- I'm sure there's room for Souey to get a contract for kicking players in the five a side until 2019 and telling anyone who will listen that they are a pansy.

404821[/snapback]

yes! and bring back dino baggio and martin andresen. that tugay's never been any good! laugh.gif

He was the right man for the job for the first two or three years, but it went seriously wrong after that.

I don't owe you any such apology Jan, as this has been my line throughout the debate, as is probably a fairly balanced view of his Rovers career. This is in contrast to you, with your pathological hatred of the man, and the consistent failure to acknowledge that he has done anything good for Blackburn ever. You need professional help to get over this intense hatred. Move on.

No apologies are needed. People felt a strong loyalty towards Souness because he rescued us from the mire that Brian Kidd, Roy Hodgson and the pathetic excuse for players we had created.

Perhaps that loyalty blinded people a bit when it was clear that Souness' was losing the plot.

No apologies are needed. People felt a strong loyalty towards Souness because he rescued us from the mire that Brian Kidd, Roy Hodgson and the pathetic excuse for players we had created.

Perhaps that loyalty blinded people a bit when it was clear that Souness' was losing the plot.

404923[/snapback]

I tend to agree with this. I hadn't read the items which I wrote and they are definitely rabid. I don't disagree with them much, but they were a little over-wrought.

My point has always been that I thought that there were better options for us- from day one- than an over-the-hill manager who was there to pick up a pension and have one five a side game a day (our training "method") to remember his glory days. Admittedly I only KNEW this was what was happening relatively late, but I always knew that he was wrong for us.

I even think that with the money he had to spend (and remember Jack was alive when he came) that there were better ways to use it- and that we should have got better players, and also got more out of the players we had.

I think everyone has said that this season has been their most enjoyable for years. Why? Because we've had dignity, played well at times, not made excuses for bad performances, and felt inspired. When we came sixth it was against a background of whingeing and whining, a feeling that we should have done better and that the results -especially at home- hadn't been particularly edifying.

The biggest differences were that 1. I didn't feel the need this season to "assume the position" whenever we took the lead (you know the one- head in hands repeating "blow the ******* whistle over and over). I just felt confident that there was a plan behind it and that we could deliver on this plan. 2. When we went behind I felt we were cpapble of getting the game back, and actually was quite disappointed when we didn't!

Under the previous regime, anything good seemed to come as a surprise to all concerned- immediately tempered with the "40 points" mantra. You couldn't enjoy it, because well- it didn't matter -as the only thing that was important was to get 40 points to stay in the division.

Edited by Jan

And bringing in manager X would be a guarantee of fixing all that waggy?

Rubbish we would get a new manager, he'd lose a couple of games and  these CM player fans would be after his head, they'd all be crying "why'd we ever get rid of Souness".

I do agree though, Mr Williams needs to sit down with Souness and find out what he plans to do.  Perhaps even have him answer some of the fans questions about his tactics and playing players out of position.

Hang in there Graeme you can do it, and if we are bottom at Christmas, then Feck off. (just kidding)</font>

<font color='#000000'>:rover: the thing is my choice is MARK HUGHES,he ain't going to be available till after the euro 2004 play off's.i for one can see hughes going on to be a managerial great,and it would give him 6 week's to judge the present squad-that gives souey another few games in charge-WE LOSE TO LIECESTER ON SUNDAY,AND WE ARE DOOMED.

:sarc:  tinykit.gif</font>

124385[/snapback]

rover.gif fancy if burnley bob had my foresight tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.