Shearer

Kevin Gallacher

Brad Friedel

Clayton, R

Douglas, B

Roger Jones

Derek Fazackerley

Sorry den but where's Sellars?

Also...Shearer needs to be taken out. He isn't a 'cult hero'. Simple as. Hero yes, cult...god no. If anyone wishes to disagree then I will gladly argue (as in the Cole thread) until the cows come home. wink.gif

EDIT - Oh by the way, the BBC are looking for players who used to play for clubs which would rule Friedal out.

Alright how's this...

Mark Atkins

Chris Price

Colin Hendry

David Speedie

Noel Brotherston

Simon Garner

Killer Keeley

Duncan Mckenzie

Shearer

Kevin Gallacher

Sellars, S

Clayton, R

Douglas, B

Roger Jones

Derek Fazackerley

You may notice the subtle change...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I have chosen players who never let the club down.

Brotherston - class act

Garner - goes without saying

Speedie - just for the effort he put in and his will to win. Also for his celebration against Newcastle.

Close are Gayle, Duff, Flowers

Although Hendry and Shearer are special players to me, at the end of the day they walked out of the club of their own choice. The names above are more deserving of the title cult heroes.

Must admit though was a bit tempted to go for Tony Finnegan, simply for his goal at Burnley.

Mike Ferguson

Wha Hey at last me'n Jim agree on something!

Fergy.........what a guy! All the requirements for real 'cult hero' status. He could easily beat most opponents with basic skill but when they came out to simply kick him off his game he did something which so few skilfull players seem to be able to do........he tw*tted em big time! laugh.gif

Duggie absolute genius! The best dribbler that I have ever seen ....and thats even including Duffer! Duggie knocked both Matthews and Finney out of the England team so how goods that?! Tony Field lovely balance, so just why did he not play at the top level all his career? But neither of those two had a personality that reached out to the crowd like Fergie.

Cult hero's are not really about skill or ability as much as empathy with the fans so on that criteria I'm going to wimp out from sticking to just 3 by selecting any 3 from....

Fergy

Garner

Speedie (how would he have scored in this if he had been here for years?)

Hendry (scored the winner of the first trophy that I ever saw us win after years of watching).

and

Mekky

ps With Johnny Price as a distant sub!

Sorry den but where's Sellars?

It's started Den.

And where's Gennoe, Gayle, Windy Miller, Briggs, Waggy, Flowers and Sean Curry?!?

I think you have a point FLB about Shearer. I think to be a "cult" as such, you can't necessarily be the best, which Shearer undoubtedly was. I mean there are players in Den's list (none of which I think should be excluded) that would never get in an all time Rovers XI.

Shearer (you cant doubt what the man did)

Hendry (he played with his heart on his sleeve and never gave up)

Duff (best performer ive seen in a rovers shirt and did the honest thing when leaving)

for me.....

1...Simon Garner.......the man, the myth, the legend.....the cigarettes! thumbs-up.gif

2...David Speedie......only at the club a year, but will always be held in the highest regards. Remember his header against Newcastle & his taunts at the geordies? thumbs-up.gif

3...Colin 'Braveheart' Hendry.........2 fantastic spells at the club & always gave his all thumbs-up.gif

Thank you Cletus for naming & describing the 'winners' of this unofficial poll, just like I'm about to do tongue.gif ......

1. Simon Garner tinykit.gif

2. Colin Hendry tinykit.gif

3. David Speedie tinykit.gif

As is shown by all the various nominations, there have been many, many heroes over the years at our wonderful club, but the above 3 truly did achieve cult status.

An excellent goal from the edge of the area thundered in against them at Ewood in the title season

It was a side foot from 6 yards out ! Still, although not the winner, I agree that it was an important goal.

with a special mention also going out to Paul McKinnon

tinykit.gif

re McKinnon. Great shout. He could join the rest of my 'pantheon' of heroes, including, Tony Dobson, Nicky Reid, Andy Morrison and Chris Sulley.

Mike Ferguson

Wha Hey at last me'n Jim agree on something!

Fergy.........what a guy! All the requirements for real 'cult hero' status. He could easily beat most opponents with basic skill but when they came out to simply kick him off his game he did something which so few skilfull players seem to be able to do........he tw*tted em big time! laugh.gif

I've already put my 3 on but Ferguson was special. A great footballer plus..... I remember watching him when he was sent off v Coventry - he didn't go quietly....

I've already put my 3 on but Ferguson was special. A great footballer plus..... I remember watching him when he was sent off v Coventry - he didn't go quietly....

No he did'nt indeed, if I rem right he half filed the directors box with shale! laugh.gif

Funnier still when Wolves came a'calling in a promotion game and he went right through, two footed and brutally clattered Wagstaffe (later to be our hero) twice in the first ten minutes. I can rem how gobsmacked the entire crowd (home and away) were when the Ref sent poor Waggy off! laugh.gif We still couldn't beat em though and ended up 4th whilst Wolves and Coventry eventually went up. sad.gif

BTW AllRoverAsia do you rem the blatant but not-given penalty decision against Coventry? It was that one incident that totally soured my hithertoo innocent childhood notion that this life is ever fair. In fact I've been a suspicious mistrusting burger ever since! dry.gif

........and in 90% of cases since I've been right to be. rover.gif

Edited by thenodrog

That Coventry match at Ewood in the 1966-67 season represented something of a watershed for Rovers.

If we had won it, we would almost certainly have returned to the old First Division at the first attempt. Unfortunately, Coventry triumphed, won promotion and stayed in the top flight for the next 30-odd years while Rovers slowly sunk farther and farther into oblivion.

I remember the Ferguson dismissal well and also another sending-off when he gave the dirty midfielder, Trevor Hockey, of Birmingham, an elbow in the face right under the ref's nose. Not the most intelligent act but Ferguson was a real crowd pleaser who was adored by the Rovers faithful.

I particularly remember a goal at Aston Villa circa 1965 (?) when he dribbled round the entire defence and sat on the ball on the goal-line before tapping it in. At least that's how I recall it, but it was a long time ago.

That Coventry match at Ewood in the 1966-67 season represented something of a watershed for Rovers.

If we had won it, we would almost certainly have returned to the old First Division at the first attempt. Unfortunately, Coventry triumphed, won promotion and stayed in the top flight for the next 30-odd years while Rovers slowly sunk farther and farther into oblivion.

I remember the Ferguson dismissal well and also another sending-off when he gave the dirty midfielder, Trevor Hockey, of Birmingham, an elbow in the face right under the ref's nose. Not the most intelligent act but Ferguson was a real crowd pleaser who was adored by the Rovers faithful.

I particularly remember a goal at Aston Villa circa 1965 (?) when he dribbled round the entire defence and sat on the ball on the goal-line before tapping it in. At least that's how I recall it, but it was a long time ago.

souness out then?

[

BTW AllRoverAsia do you rem the blatant but not-given penalty decision against Coventry? It was that one incident that totally soured my hithertoo innocent childhood notion that this life is ever fair. In fact I've been a suspicious mistrusting burger ever since! dry.gif

........and in 90% of cases since I've been right to be. rover.gif

Yes I do remember it and it was a penalty. I was a kid at the time and like you I've thought about it over the years - it was a couple of years after that game that I realised that the old guy who had been sitting by me hadn't been calling the Ref a Twit!. As jim mk2 says it was in hindsight a watershed game for Rovers.

How can the ledgendary Ronnie Clayton and Bryan Douglas be left out?

Real cult heroes even if you never saw them play. Add Alan Shearer and there you have it.

I bought some Trevor Hockey style footy shorts.......retro but trendy at the time. I was the first in the school to do so. biggrin.gif I must have looked like Jimmy Clitheroe going to a fancy dress party as Alex James! laugh.gif

I seem to think that Hockey died young. Am I right?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.