BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Man Utd Home

I'm sure that every poster will still be upset by the refereeing decision that robbed us of 2 more points yesterday.

What I'm a bit surprised about is that people have not concentrated more on the quality of our display.

We had 4 shots on target-they had 15.

We had 4 shots off target-they had 9.

We had 4 corners-they had 14.

Spot on! I thought also that the gap between ourselves and MU is wider than at any other time in the prem. imo we are the new Coventry. sad.gif

.....or at least I hope we are! Cov managed almost 40 years in the top div.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While RFW still has work to do I thought this the best Utd team to visit Ewood for perhaps 4-5 seasons. I'm gauging this on the "oh sh1t, it's Smith/Saha/Giggs etc" factor. Utd have come a long way since we beat them last and this will become a very good team. Not that I'm looking to praise Utd but:

92er

What I'm a bit surprised about is that people have not concentrated more on the quality of our display.

We had 4 shots on target-they had 15.

We had 4 shots off target-they had 9.

We had 4 corners-they had 14.

I'd agree with the above, but I think one has to reflect on how well Friedle played and the overall level of committment our players showed. If it were not for Friedel we'd have been thumped by 5 - 6 and the MB would be alive with Souness out posts.

92er

However, I can't remember a meaningful save that Howard had to make, nor did I see the kind of quality that is going to get us away from the bottom.

But what you did see was a performance full of guts, running, passion and defending from the front. Not necessarily the style of football we want to watch but one that should, given the quality we are supposed to have, be a match for the teams we must/should beat. This is also a style that may help to convince the disappearing thousands that a trip to Ewood is worthwhile.

Scotty

We were robbed at the end but it shouldn't disguise the fact that United were far better than us and, but for a remarkable game by Friedel and some poor finishing, would have won comfortably. We did, however, look better than in previous games and we won't play teams with the quality United have every week.

Exactly, we shouldn't hide from those facts but if the team can reproduce this performance week after week we will take a lot of points from the Norwichs, Palaces and Pompeys of the PL. I hope we all left Ewood with some restored pride on Saturday - which is perhaps what was needed more than anything?

Slightly of topic but why are there only Two Premiership matches today when the rest of the leagues have a full fixture list? huh.gif

Uniteds game is the home game they would have played last week if they hadn't been in the Champions League qualifiers

OK, I can finally bring myself to talk about the match (I know, you've all been waiting, I'm sure).

Happy with the result, but not with the way it occured. Had you told me before the match we would get a draw, I'd have been happy. Saw their lineup, and knew that at least one point would be there for the taking after seeing their midfield (CR excepted).

As for the end, you kinda knew something would happen and we'd be screwed. At least the score wasn't even at the time. Even then, my wife thought I had fallen pretty badly as I kicked our ottoman halfway across the room.

Pluses: Emerton and Brad back to form. Crowd was in good voice, did us proud.

Minuses: Why the heck do they use that stupid "Let's Get it Started" before kickoff? If they are going for that theme, they should use Van Halen's "Right Now."

Negatives:

- I think playing Ferguson and Tugay together makes our midfield too lightweight. We were up against a relatively lightweight United midfield yesterday but they still controlled things for large parts of the game.

Too right.

Tugay is not able to compete anymore. He was anonymous against Man U and for as good as his passing may be, his tackling, heading, running mean he cannot compete.

I would be tempted to see if Douglas' endeavour could compliment Ferguson in midfield. (Douglas is also quite a big lad and that helps when you're competing in the 'engine room'). Perhaps, Donnelly may be the long-term solution - if he's allowed to develop in the reserves by playing centre mid, rather than right wing.

ANother point - please don't congratulate Souness for getting the team selection right. That's the first time this season. ONE in FOUR, he has managed to pick a decent team that most fans could have picked for all the games.

The least we expect from a manager is to pick a decent team and not have to correct his mistakes at half-time.

Sorry, I wasn't using my full mental faculties there.

Of course, everybody knows that the first three games of the season are a chance to experiment with the line-up, contributing to the loss of points and our position near the bottom of the league.

Perhaps, Donnelly may be the long-term solution - if he's allowed to develop in the reserves by playing centre mid, rather than right wing.

I haven't seen much of him recently and am not sure how he is developing. As your his number one fan perhaps you can tell us about Donnelly as a player e.g how has he been playing recently? What qualities do you think he can bring to the team?

One more thing: I notice it to be funny that everyone brings up that because the RFW complains to the refs so much he gets calls his way, yet when Souness complains to the refs so much that is why he never gets the calls his way.

Perhaps, Donnelly may be the long-term solution - if he's allowed to develop in the reserves by playing centre mid, rather than right wing.

I haven't seen much of him recently and am not sure how he is developing. As your his number one fan perhaps you can tell us about Donnelly as a player e.g how has he been playing recently? What qualities do you think he can bring to the team?

Best position is central midfield and has a well-rounded game. I would compare him to Scott Parker, in that he gets forward but also has a strong defensive side to his play,

Has always looked a promising player for the reserves and England U19s. However, this season, he's been playing on the right wing (for the reserves), which imo has restricted his progress. He either needs a loan move or first team action to develop.

I'm sure people who watch the reserves could fill you in a bit more specifically.

Hmmmmmmmm, fair point American. Apols if anyone else have mentioned this - noticed at the end of the game on Sat, GS - after his usual patting-on-the-back for a few players as they left the pitch - made a point of shaking the hands of the men in black as they walked off. Hard to believe but true. Is this the start of a GS charm offensive?

ManU vs Everton

0-0 and Everton should have had at least 1 penalty..

Those cheating @#/?s! mad.gif

Hmm... Utd getting a dodgy handball in their favour, why does that seem familiar? dry.gif

Just think, if the ref's had any balls, Utd would've lost 3 of their 1st 4 games, all of which would've been 1-0...

Instead they've lost 1 & have 2 draws which they were given by the officials

Hmmmmmmmm, fair point American. Apols if anyone else have mentioned this - noticed at the end of the game on Sat, GS - after his usual patting-on-the-back for a few players as they left the pitch - made a point of shaking the hands of the men in black as they walked off. Hard to believe but true. Is this the start of a GS charm offensive?

If this is the case I salute Souness! smile.gif

Nothing wrong in trying to kiss and make up, it COULD be a sarcastic gesture though.. wink.gif

Ah, yes, but - I'm sure I read in one of the Sunday papers that referee Alan Wiley is expected to be out for at least a three to four weeks after mysteriously breaking every bone in his right hand sometime during Saturday afternoon.

Edited by bob fleming

just noticed this link on a post from the official site:

United Injury Time Investigation Petition

It seemed like a good idea until the Manure fans found it and filled it with insults. Some of the responses were quite funny, shame it takes the shine of what is a genuine attempt to get the incident noticed...

Edited by percy

Just to get back to the match..................my impression of them was that ,although they should have scored 6,they were not a great team and were in fact going backwards.

Ferdinand, RVN was missing up front and they didn't have a midfield player who could tackle.

Alan Hansen in the Daily Telegraph argues that " United are not just trailing Arsenal and Chelsea by 8 points but they are looking a long way behind in terms of form........United are a shadow of the team they were then(4 years ago).

Today, at home to Everton, they hit the woodwork 3 times and according to reports, should have had a penalty awarded against them.

I think all this puts our performance into perspective.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.