BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Vs 0 Portsmouth

So does this mean that Hughes has slayed Emerton's touch-line monster?

It's true Emerton played well in the second half. Most of his attacking play was running directly at the Pompey defence about 10-15 yards in from the touchline. I don't think his play produced a traditional cross, which isn't to criticise just an observation, but clearly worried the Pompey defenders.

I'm as delighted as everyone and really enjoyed a relaxed Saturday night for the first time in months - this bloody game really does get to you. I feel this game was the perfect start for Hughes in every way. In the first 45 minutes we were as bad as ever againast a poor Pompey team - if anything Rovers made them look good. Better for Hughes to see the reality from the start than have an all guns blazing, new manager performance. Clearly Hughes had points to make at half time and this made a difference but I think we played far better against Utd. The players still have a lot to prove. Lots of positives from the game:

Emerton played well two home games in a row

Bothroyd looks like he could add something to the attack

Amo played well

In general we were prepared to run at the opposition

In another game we would have conceded in the last ten minutes

Jansen

Friedel got very lucky with a clear penalty

There is a long way to go before we have a team but at least we have begun - Charlton away will be a big test. We must be looking for a point from that game.

Alan - I heard Hughes comments about Jansen. I hadn't thought of this in relation to Jansen but posted in the "Good Choice" thread I thought Hughes would bring a fatherly approach to the younger players. Seems he has done.

Another really encouraging remark I picked up from Jay Bothroyd's interview on RR on the Bournemouth game "this is a cup Blackburn are looking to win" . Yes, yes, yes - that is the attitude I want to hear, none of this PL survival nonsense.

Paul I also heard Bothroyds comment about the cup, nearly drove into the car in front.

I wondered where he'd got that impression from. Made me think that someone at last at Ewood has a bit of logic. There is no way we are going to win the league, our best chance in any season is cup glory.

That said with Arsenal only drawing and us winning yesterday we did gain ground on them biggrin.gif

Everyone of you ar5eholes and rumour-mongers who spread garbage like "Matt can't chang a light bulb", "He doesn't know where he is half way through a game" and "Get real, face facts, he'll never play for Rovers again" should go and hang your heads in shame.

A lot of people on here refused to believe the peurile tittle-tattle, and they should be applauded.

The rest of you should think next time before posting such dangerous rubbish, you are playing with a young man's career.

Good on yer Matt, I don't think I've ever wanted a particular player to score a winner more in my life.

Don't think we shuold be getting too carried away... but anyway, did anyone else notice that Jansen, Cole and Yorke all scored yesterday. All Souness cast-offs - seemed ironic to me, but Cole did seem to have taken something from Souness (did you see that punch?)

Edited by Duffers

Everyone of you ar5eholes and rumour-mongers who spread garbage like "Matt can't chang a light bulb", "He doesn't know where he is half way through a game" and "Get real, face facts, he'll never play for Rovers again" should go and hang your heads in shame.

A lot of people on here refused to believe the peurile tittle-tattle, and they should be applauded.

The rest of you should think next time before posting such dangerous rubbish, you are playing with a young man's career.

Good on yer Matt, I don't think I've ever wanted a particular player to score a winner more in my life.

We'll see.

Good on him but he's still a long way to go so stop posting out of your arse.

That said with Arsenal only drawing and us winning yesterday we did gain ground on them biggrin.gif

LOL, what a brilliant comment biggrin.gif .

Anyway, a priceless win y'sday in a game where result instead of performance mattered. The 2nd half was very postitive but we did that under Souness also, just playing for 1 half. If Hughes can get us playing for a full 90mins than we can really start to go places. I happy for Hughes, great substitution for Jansen and delighted for him. We love him and he loves us. Superb smile.gif

As for Boythroyd, ive never seen such a 2 footed player in my life, does anyone know actually what his fav foot is?

Before we get all excited about Hughes. Just felt i better remind you guys of BK's start as rovers manager.

Blackburn 1-0 Charlton 05-12-1998

Blackburn 0-0 Newcastle 12-12-1998

Nottm Forest 2-2 Blackburn 19-12-1998

Blackburn 2-1 Aston Villa 26-12-1998

Leicester 1-1 Blackburn 28-12-1998

FA Cup Blackburn 2-0 Charlton 02-01-1999

Blackburn 1-0 Leeds 09-01-1999

Derby 1-0 Blackburn 16-01-1999

FA Cup Blackburn 1-0 Sunderland 23-01-1999

Blackburn 1-1 Tottenham 30-01-1999

Aston Villa 1-3 Blackburn 06-02-1999

FA Cup Newcastle 0-0 Blackburn 14-02-1999

Chelsea 1-1 Blackburn 17-02-1999

But im sure Hughes wont be as bad as Kidd ph34r.gif

Edited by greggyk

Paul, your description of Emerton attacking "10 to 15 yards in from the touchline" is exactly how he should be played. On the angle, running towards goal, someone outside him to drag the defence wide, someone hanging back inside him.

When he's played with this in mind, he'll produce the goods.

Edited by dave birch

That's interesting dave because I can't recall him doing this with any real consistency or the power and directness he showed yesterday in the second half. My expectations have always been that he would go down the touchline and knock in a cross.

Presumably if we have someone overlapping on the right and a striker moving towards the right or centre of goal Emerton could create lost of chances? If this is how Brett likes to play it would be interesting to know if he told Hughesy where he feels comfortable or if Hughes told him where to play?

paul, I've never considered him as a winger.

Having seen Emerton play a fair bit (albeit at international level) he's played the way you just described.

Australia v England he had Kewell running the angle across infront of him, thus denying him space. As soon as Kewell went off, Emerton had more room. The ball that Skoko (I think) put through to him, behind the first line of defence, let Emerton run at the backline (10 - 15 yards in), he turned them and eventually scored. He was constantly turning the defence

It's my feeling, that Souness was telling him to play in a different manner, one that was detrimental to his natural game.

I have a feeling, that we'll see the real Brett Emerton soon.

That can only be good for the Rovers.

Emerton looked a different player second half, his attacking runs down the middle looked promising and nearly bore fruit,he does have good ball control....keep it up fella!

Paul, I really do hope Emerton told Hughes were he is most comfortable playing...is it fair to expect a player to play out of position and still produce the goods?.According to the world of Souness the answer is yes.

The place seems so much brighter after three points doesn't it?

Wasn't a brilliant performance, but it was a brilliant result and that is what counts. Let's not get carried away.

Jay Bothroyd looks promising, but then again everyone picks their game when they first arrive at a club - although I will watch him closely, he looks like a real player.

John Stead needs a goal he looks out of his depth at present, he just needs to keep it simple. He couldn't have a better mentor in Hughes so he'll be fine.

I think Matteo is a poor central defender, I really do. He makes me feel uneasy. I do think he has something to offer the team but perhaps not at centre half.

Pedersen is really struggling, but I wouldn't drop him. I think he has quality but he is too timid and nervous to try the things that make him stand out. I get the impression the other players have no confidence in him. He needs a hug from the manager and time and he will be fine.

I still think it goning to be a long and hard season and we shouldn't get too carried away just yet.

Oh yeah, Matt Jansen you legend keep plugging away.

I bet you he reads this board today, so if you are Matty - We love you!

Great result from the boys, and a good second half performance. I think next week we have to go with Dickov and Bothroyd up front. Jay looks class. My mate watches the Italian league all the time and he says that he's a quality player who drew comparisons to Adrianho of Inter. He did say that he just fizzled out a bit as the season went. I also nearly had a tear for Jansen-lets just hope he carries on improving-but lets not be too expectant of him, it will take time.

If you are reading Matty, good on you. All of us always hoped even if our belief was fading.

You know you have turned the corner and there is no stopping you now.

As for all the other optimistic noises on here, lets see how many points we have after we have played Chelsea. As I posted before the season began, our first ten fixturees looked to be the toughest start to a seaon I could remember= seven games we could easilly lose even if we were on top form and three classic Souness trip over a banana skin (again) games.

Well at least the Souness trait of loosing to relegation fodder has gone.

No doubt you can get long odds on West Brom winning t St James's Park on 25 September- get your money on now!

Everyone of you ar5eholes and rumour-mongers who  spread garbage like "Matt can't chang a light bulb", "He doesn't know where he is half way through a game" and "Get real, face facts, he'll never play for Rovers again" should go and hang your heads in shame.

We'll see.

Good on him but he's still a long way to go so stop posting out of your arse.

Here, here SAR.

Just hope if he does score anymore this season the players are a bit more careful with him in the celebrations.....MIND HIS HEAD LADS!!!

a good performance wasn't the order of the day, it was the result that mattered.

Performances can be a lot better, more like starting the game like the second half from the off against Charlton next Monday.

If Rovers can get a positive result there, and we have no reason why we shouldn't, then that will really kick off the season especially with the international break looming.

tinykit.gif

Oh my god! How did Friedel not give away a penalty, that was a shocking challenge! Still no worse than Andy Griffins sh*house tackle at the start of the 2nd half i suppose. That Stefanovic is a right w*nker as well. His hands were in the air so often it's like he was a victim of armed robbery. Jansen actually looked a little frustrated and tightly-wound before his goal. I think it will come as no small relief to the lad and should go a long to convincing himself that he can still play at this level. Bothroyd looked excellent as well, finally rovers have some menacing pace.

(yes i know i said i only had radio coverage in an earlier post but my download of the match finally finished this afternoon smile.gif )

Edited by samtheozzy

Does he normally read this board?!?

However he did say that he was going to read the papers.

He said he couldn't have got through these last few years without the support of the Rovers fans.

Watching him celebrate and when he was coming off the pitch he was in tears.

So was 19.000+ Rovers fans.

I was again after reading what Matt said about us the fans.

We love you Matt.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.