BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Vs 0 Portsmouth

Aye, I had a tear in my eye when he scored today

Me too....just so pleased for Matt. Lets hope he plays on Wednesday and gets three. smile.gif

Paul, you two faced sun of a ........, I remember talking to you about Matty on the last game of the season last year and you said that he was finished and there was no way back.

Anyway, your foregiven today cos I dont care

I went to the match with a new sense of optimism and it seemed like even the sun had come out to make the day a good one. By half time I was thinking "This is sh1te" - no shots on target, players underperforming, no communication between the strikers and Pompey beginning to get in gear.

The second half was a different story, especially when the subs came on. Amoruso did a very steady job for the injured Short (that looked bad and I hope he isn't out for long) and he again gave us options with freekicks. In fact, he was unlucky not to score.

Griffin should have got a straight red for his murderous foul on McFly Pedersen, but in a way he did us a favour as the poor McFly went off soon after and made way for young Matty. Jansen looked a bit ropey but he stuck at it and was rewarded with a well-taken goal. The crowd went mad (relief and joy in equal quantities I'd say) and we all hailed the returning hero. I've doubted Jansen as much as anyone and saw our retention of him as an act of charity we probably couldn't afford. However, I'm happy to eat a big slab of humble pie tonight (Mrs Sidders isn't much of a cook and humble pie is often on the menu of late) and raise a pint (or eight) to the lad from Carlisle.

Finally, the hardworking Stead made way for Bothroyd and what a difference it made. There's no doubting Bothroyd's belief in himself, but I think his faith in passing the ball to Emerton in the expectation that the ponderous Antipodean will do anything constructive with it will require a word from the coaching staff.

Funniest moment was when Primus (bravely) stopped a piledriver from Matteo and lost all sense of time and place for a few seconds with his arms flailing around before he toppled like he'd been hit with a tranquilising dart.

Three points, a clean sheet, the referee wasn't too bad, Jansen back from the dead and it didn't rain. What a good do!

Not much in the first half. Second half we totally dominated Pompey, we had all of the possension.

Match Ratings

Friedel - 7 - Had nothing to do

Neill - 7 - A solid performance

Matteo - 8 - Looked solid and centreback seems his prefered postion.

Short - 7 - Was doing okay, until he streched for a challenge and got injured.

Gray - 7 - Another reliable performance from Mickey

Emerton - 7 - Had a good game in the second half just wish he'd get involved more in the game, he seems to drift in and out of the game a lot.

Flitty - 8 - Sat infront of the defence did a good job

Bazza - 9 - Superb performance, some brilliant passes and started lots of attacks from the middle.

Pedersen - 6 - Sorry but he looked poor today, couldn't take the ball past one pompey defender

Stead - 6 - Looked low on confidence, wasn't really in the game

Dickov - 8 - worked his socks of as normal, good all-round game

SUBS

Amo - 8 - A solid game COULD HAVE (like you could have paid more attention in school) scored on a couple of occasions.

Jansen - 7 - Came on and scored the all important goal, played on left-side of midfield looked comfortable there.

Bothroyd - 8 - Won loads of free-kicks late on. Quick and good in he air, looks promosing.

Overall we deserved 3 points, and it's great to see Matty on the scoresheet hopefully we can build on this and go on some sort of run.

Edited by grizfoot

Amo - 8 - A solid game COULD HAVE (like you could have paid more attention in school) scored on a couple of occasions.

laugh.gif Who was that?

it's a automatic thing comes when you type could h@ve

Sorry the "i deserved 3 points" was a mistake, i've changed it now.

That Ricardo Fuller was awful i'm glad we did't sign him he complained evertime he got tackled and missed 2 one on ones from 5 yards, also the so called penatly appeal did anyone see it proper i coudn't really see it from my seat in BBE the ref booked him for diving, and ref's are never wrong wink.gif

Edited by grizfoot

Haha what a great result! Just got back from work and was delighted to see Rovers have beaten my hometown biggrin.gif

I am surprised we kept a clean sheet, and delighted obviously, because I really thought Yakubu, Fuller & Lua Lua would rip us to shreds with their pace.

Good to see Matt back with a goal, I don't think I am the only one who thought his days were numbered, here's hoping that this will revive his Rovers career.

The only downside is probably Matteo getting ahead of Amoruso...for shame.....but I suppose we won at the end of the day so I won't complain..

Also, what is up with MGP? Think its just an adapting problem? Didn't he show any good signs?

Edited by RoverDrake

RD

Looa looa was not even playing

the Yak got crunched first minute by short and flitcroft and was so far out of the game it made him miss a one on one from 13 yards.

Fuller was just the plonker that he is, useless, although he did hit the outside of the post in the first half.

For the penalty shout, couldnt get a clear view but looked liked a swan dive following a miss by friedel tinykit.gif

What on earth did Graeme Souness see in GMP or Pedersen - this lad is not premiership material at all he cant dribble, pass, defend, has a poor first touch and hides from a challenge more importantly and has no pace to get passed his man - in fact he would struggle to get in the Burnley first team hes that poor.

Its not about gibving him time your either good enough or your not and Pedersen offeres nothing to the Blackburn Rovers first team at all.

Souness must have been taking backhanders from the agent to sign Pedersen hes such a shocker, and now we must look for our third left sided midfielder in six months.

Love him or loathe him, you know your going to floor him. Rodney '######' Marsh, another Murdoch muppet . Johnnyboy2004

Souness - you're a disgrace. Thanks for the "team" you left behind.

Same players - different team. Jansen - 5th choice striker - advised to go find another club - scored the winner (played left wing (how revolutionary - left footed attacker at left attacking midfield) to begin with - then CF)

Our defence was better organised by the way.

This is the start of something better. It'll take time. Hughesy will have to get the best out of a bad bunch I'm afraid. He'll have a few quid to spend in January, probably not a fortune, just the money saved (from the inevitable sacking that didn't happen) and a few quid saved in wages from Cole and Yorke.

G. Souness - the luckiest man in football. I promise not to mention his name ever again on this messageboard. He doesn't deserve it.

tinykit.gif Hughesy!! tinykit.gif

Like all I was delighted to see jansen back and scoring. However I'd hate for people to see him as 'returned' like some messiah to rocket us back up the table. His first touch and general control still seem to be lacking. Hopefully a good 90 minute runout against Bournemouth on Wednesday will tell us more.

Bothroyd was a big plus on his debut. After a string of what have seemed poor recent signings from Souness (sorry but Pedersen is dangerously close to being included in them) maybe Souness has left us with one that could prove to be decent. Big lad who seemed comfortable with the ball on the deck, he seemed to also have a decent workrate which was a concern of mine. Welcome aboard!

Love him or loathe him Ammo does add something to the team. Whether thats because he's the best of a bad lot I don't know but I believe he should start before Matteo.

Great result but I feel it's still a long and rocky road we have to tread over the next few months. tinykit.gif

What on earth did Graeme Souness see in GMP or Pedersen - this lad is not premiership material at all he cant dribble, pass, defend, has a poor first touch and hides from a challenge more importantly and has no pace to get passed his man - in fact he would struggle to get in the Burnley first team hes that poor.

Its not about gibving him time your either good enough or your not and Pedersen offeres nothing to the Blackburn Rovers first team at all.

Souness must have been taking backhanders from the agent to sign Pedersen hes such a shocker, and now we must look for our third left sided midfielder in six months.

What a load of rubbish, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a norwegian! The guy is 22years old, he has just moved to a new country, has been away with the national team to Italy and Norway, have only had a good couple of training sessions with the team, have played 3 games -- and you are slagging him off?! What a joke!

I'm not saying he will be a success here at Blackburn Rovers, but I'm surely not going to base my judgment on 3 games in the Premier League!

Love him or loathe him Ammo does add something to the team. Whether thats because he's the best of a bad lot I don't know but I believe he should start before Matteo.

I wholeheartedly agree. People seem to just see Amo as this old, pasta-chewing carthouse but he is the only centre-back we have who can bring the ball out and have ideas, plus our own Bobby Carlos at free-kicks! laugh.gif

Its not about gibving him time your either good enough or your not and  Pedersen offeres nothing to the Blackburn Rovers first team at all.

What a load of rubbish, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a norwegian! The guy is 22years old, he has just moved to a new country, has been away with the national team to Italy and Norway, have only had a good couple of training sessions with the team, have played 3 games -- and you are slagging him off?! What a joke!

I'm not saying he will be a success here at Blackburn Rovers, but I'm surely not going to base my judgment on 3 games in the Premier League!

I too thought Pederson had a poor game,which led to his substitution, but give the lad a break for God's sake.

Remember one Henning Berg. When he first came to Rovers he was like a duck out of water initially but turned into one of the best defenders we have ever had.

On a brighter note wasn't it pleasing to have some positive decision making from the dug-out in the form of meaningful substitutions in a part of the game where they were able to have an effect, rather than in the final ten minutes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.