BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 1 Vs 0 Portsmouth

Thank God that we won yesterday and it is obvious how the mood of the fans has changed. I saw the highlights on Football First and we played some good stuff. Portsmouth had some good chances and we were lucky not to give away a penalty. I thought Emerton looked very good and he showed what he could do when he runs at defenders. Pedersen looks like he needs a confidence boost. He keeps it simple, as if he doesn't want to make any mistakes. I do think that he could be a very good player, but I'd like to see De Pedro given a chance to show what he can do. Our central defence still looks weak and is too slow. Matteo and Amoruso have been poor signings and Hughes should replace them at the first chance. Bothroyd looks pretty good. The fact that he has pace and can take defenders on adds a different dimension to our front line. Even though Stead is still to score, I don't think that he looks out of his depth, he just isn't finding the net and isn't in the right place at the right time. Fair play to Jansen, he took his goal brilliantly and it reminded me of what he was like 2 years ago. His link up play also look good. Hopefully under Hughes he will be given more of a chance and that goal could give him the confidence to go on from here and discover his old form.

Do we play Bournemouth next? If so, I'd definately start with Jansen and Stead. It would give Jansen the chance to carry on from where he left off and Stead the chance to score and find his scoring touch. I'd also like to see De Pedro given a chance.

What a difference 3 points makes.

First half was absolutely Phil Babb, but I enjoyed the second half.

Jay Bothroyd I thought was ace, he looks classier than the rest of them.

Freidels push on Fuller by the way was a stonewall penalty, the fact it was not given was worth more than getting one given to us.

A change of luck at last for Rovers.

Oh my god! How did Friedel not give away a penalty, that was a shocking challenge!

Maybe that bit of luck was long overdue. Fuller was fouled but flailed his arms in the air to make it look better. As he had tried on or two dives on before I feel that the ref was weary of his histrionics.

btw Brad looked uncharactersically uncertain on a couple of occasions! I've no idea why though thumbs-up.gif

I see Alan. Well i've edited my previous post so as not to appear a total @#/?. Never heard that about Harry...

Still Emerton looked pretty nifty in the second half. MGP looked really nervous. Not unskilled, not useless, just nervous. Once he settles in he should be the goods.

Everyone of you ar5eholes and rumour-mongers who spread garbage like "Matt can't chang a light bulb", "He doesn't know where he is half way through a game" and "Get real, face facts, he'll never play for Rovers again" should go and hang your heads in shame.

Thats daft! Nobody on her wished Matt any harm and everybody would want him back as he was before his Roman Holiday.

I'm one that suggested that it's time to part company with him and though he scored with a cracking shot he generally contributed little. His first touch is abysmal and he even got away with a bad first touch when he scored. Lets just hope that Hughes and this goal can kick start his career.

Gotta say I was mighty impressed with what I saw of Bothroyd. It wasn't much granted, but he certainly looks good, and his presence may allow Stead a little time in the reserves / on the bench to regain his confidence which it appears that he needs.

It's true Emerton played well in the second half. Most of his attacking play was running directly at the Pompey defence about 10-15 yards in from the touchline. I don't think his play produced a traditional cross, which isn't to criticise just an observation, but clearly worried the Pompey defenders.

Need to rem that......

1. taking Berger off maybe coincidd with Brett attacking more.

2. He was up against the slowest full back in Christendom. I've seen milk turn quicker than Unsworth!

All this bull about Emerton. I have seen him play a lot and I agree he has been poor. There is no doubt he has talent though and I am confident he will get better as the season progresses.

I really cant understand some of the things people write on here, lets get rid of him etc. Some players take a while to settle in the Premiership and Emerton is one of them. People who watch European football on a regular basis know he is a good player. I really wish people would try to think a bit more logically before they post some utter cr*p on this messageboard.

Everyone of you ar5eholes and rumour-mongers who  spread garbage like "Matt can't chang a light bulb", "He doesn't know where he is half way through a game" and "Get real, face facts, he'll never play for Rovers again" should go and hang your heads in shame.

Thats daft! Nobody on her wished Matt any harm and everybody would want him back as he was before his Roman Holiday.

I'm one that suggested that it's time to part company with him and though he scored with a cracking shot he generally contributed little. His first touch is abysmal and he even got away with a bad first touch when he scored. Lets just hope that Hughes and this goal can kick start his career.

Gotta say I was mighty impressed with what I saw of Bothroyd. It wasn't much granted, but he certainly looks good, and his presence may allow Stead a little time in the reserves / on the bench to regain his confidence which it appears that he needs.

That's different, I'm not getting at people who thought we should release him or thought he would never be the same.

The people who incense me are the ones who freely spread rumours about Jansen's mental state around every pub in Blackburn.

How would any of them had liked being labelled a 'cabbage' etc whilst desperately attempting to convince both management and supporters that all was not lost.

I just wish people would think about the potential damage to a player before they open their mouths.

I think with a properly balanced attack, Emerton will do better. His rise in form also coincided with MGP being taken off.

As for Stead, the goals might not be coming, but he still is one of the best Rovers players out on the pitch. Hopefully a partnership of him and Jay with Dickov coming off the bench will help the goals start.

I like the two Mark's attitude. They both paid close attention to the game rather than going into huddles as Murray, Boersma and Saunders (the three wise monkeys) used to do, and I am sure that they will bring out the best in our players. I feel that they will encourage the players to play to their strengths but do their homework about forthcoming opponents (I seem to remember Souey saying he wasn't interested in the homework bit).

Rather than ranting at the referee, Mark H just calmly indicated to him when he felt a decision wasn't right.

I also feel that they will address weaknesses and install the confidence that the players need.

We spoke to Jon Stead as he was leaving, what a pleasant lad he is, obviously disappointed that he isn't scoring but I tried to reassure him and got told off for being too 'motherly' with him!

Emerton played well two home games in a row

He played bloody well against Newcastle considering the @#/? he was playing with

Oh by the way - Ive seen MAtt play in a few reserve games last season and to be brutally honest I could play better.

But Im delighted he's back although I thought that after Liverpool last season.

Having not read the first 10 pages of this thread, this has probably already been said. But if it wasn't for Lucas Neill's direct running and exquisite through ball there would be no talk about Jansen's comeback today and we will still be without a win this season.

People were quick to jump on his back last season after admittedly a poor one but I hope it works both ways when he makes positive contributions like yesterdays.

Fair point Brownie but if wasn't for Yakubu's poor finishing then we would have been behind thanks to a typically casual piece of play from Mr Neill. Admittedly Matteio didn't help but it was nothing short of pathetic the way he gave the ball away their. He was just trying to get a throw-in off Fuller but had no need to be so casual. Lucas Neill is a good footballer but unless he stops playing with such a laid back attitude then we will need to replace him.

A tale of two halves.

The first was uninspiring. I was pleased in the 2nd half to see greater attacking invention.

The win was vital but there are quite a few areas of concern for Hughes to address over the coming months.

Disappointing to see Portsmouth glide past some our defenders easily, and on another day we could have lost.

The ref's decision not to give Pompey a penalty perhaps partly makes up for the points we lost against the Saints, due to Andy D'Urso's performance.

Below - Matt is greeted warmly at the end by his former team mate.

user posted image

Fair point Brownie but if wasn't for Yakubu's poor finishing then we would have been behind thanks to a typically casual piece of play from Mr Neill. Admittedly Matteio didn't help but it was nothing short of pathetic the way he gave the ball away their. He was just trying to get a throw-in off Fuller but had no need to be so casual. Lucas Neill is a good footballer but unless he stops playing with such a laid back attitude then we will need to replace him.

Amoruso wasn't blameless either, he was being lazy and ambling back obviously expecting Matteo to clear the danger on his own. If he had simply sprinted for 10 yards to get goal side of both Matteo and Yacuba he would have tidied up any danger easily.

Amo still worries me. I just can never feel comfortable with him playing. I do appreciate his efforts in helping us stay up last year but I just dont rate the guy.

Isnt his contract up at end of the year, if so we should go our separate ways. His wages would be quite high as well I assume.

After *8 hours journey home last night and another 6 hour return to Norwich today I'm just too tired to read over the last few pages, so apologies for anything repeated but these are my thoughts on the match.

First half we controlled in large areas for the first 30 minutes - didn't play particularly great, nor particularly badly but were certainly better then Portsmouth.

MGP looked lively a few times but looked all too light weight, constantly barged off the ball. Emerton looked pretty good first half and had everything but the final ball. What I did notice however, was that Neill and Emerton seemed to keep getting in each others way. Michael Gray really did make some woeful passes and crosses in the first half, absolutely woeful. We seemed to be able to do everything but carve out an oppertunity. The only bad note was Flitcroft, who was absent throughout the half.

When Short got taken off we seemed to lose our solidity and people switched off - including Ferguson who played a pretty dodgy ball that got intercepted leading to a real pompey chance. We were very lucky to go in at 0-0, especially when Matteo was so easily brushed aside by Yakubu.

Second half and what a difference! Everyone was playing with an added zest. An early suggestion that Hughes has what it takes to get people to play for him and that he has the motivational ability to drive players on - even Flitcroft made a few challanges.

Like Flopsy has often said, we do seem to play better with Amoruso in the team, going forward at least. His distribution was excellent and he often started us on moves. Ferguson also played better as the creator and we carved out far more oppertunities.

After 15-20 minutes of sustained pressure and the introduction of Jansen, their midfield began to crumble and all too often Ferguson was left in absolute acres of space and this showed as he went past 2 men and played a great through ball to jansen, who took the chance well. Even Emerton was encouraged to have a go from distance. It was at this point I kn w he was lacking confidence; he had about 15 yards to run into and a free shot on goal yet was extremely tentative.

Jansen looked far more effective than MGP as soon as he came on. MGP looked like he had the pace and could play a good ball but he seemed well too lightweight for the premiership and hardly worried the Pompey defense. Conversely, Jansen had the strength to drive at people.

What REALLY impressed me however, was Hughes at this point; all too often under the Souness regime we would put 11 men behind the ball and invite pressure. Yesterday we didn't. We dropped back sure, but we still ran the game and went forward. SO refreshing to see. They hardly had a sniff all half.

The only minus was the review i read today. I bought The Times expecting a decent article, yet what i saw was an attack on the fans and the team. "Blackburn laboured their way through more than 70 minutes." What crap, we were awesome from the very start of the second half and were the better team for most of the first. "Hughes knew Jansen would bring the meagre — and until then moribund — home crowd alive." Again, rubbish. There was a quiet spell in the first half when Pompey were all over us, but that was it. "The game had begun with Blackburn not so much roaring off the grid as inching their way forward in the manner of a Sinclair C5." I beg to differ. I was very pleased with ourperformance and showed that we can be a very decent team this season.

Edited by tcj_jones

interesting points, tcjj. The Times article - wasn't written by Rodney Marsh, was it? ohmy.gif Anyway, who cares? We got the points, if that's the way they want to see it let them get on with it. Just some hack trying to show off no doubt.

My mate watches the Italian league all the time and he says that he's a quality player who drew comparisons to Adrianho of Inter.

funnily enough that is the person i likened to him after his performance against pompey, big and strong, but also powerful and skillful like adriano.

i thought this report in the times was quite insightful:

Hughes under no illusions

By Oliver Kay

Blackburn Rovers 1 Portsmouth 0

AMONG THE INNOVATIONS that Mark Hughes has brought with him to Blackburn Rovers is hydrotherapy, with his players told to plunge into freezing water for 30 seconds at a time in what their new manager considers a fundamental part of the post-match recovery process. If the response from the dressing-room was less than lukewarm, no one was saying so, least of all Matt Jansen, for whom dipping in and out an ice bath is a positively heart-warming exercise after two years out in the cold under Graeme Souness.

When Hughes departed Blackburn as a player in May 2002, he left behind a young Jansen with genuine ambitions of being named in the England squad for that summer's World Cup finals. After he was left out at the last minute by Sven-Göran Eriksson, Jansen took his girlfriend on a romantic break to Rome, where he was involved in an accident that saw him suffer a brain haemorrage and spend two days in a coma after being thrown off a moped. It is by no means an exaggeration to say that he could have died.

As time went on, Jansen began to wonder whether he would ever make a full recovery. It was weeks before he could walk freely, months before he could head a ball or withstand even the most basic 50-50 challenge on the training pitch, and Souness felt unable to indulge the forward by giving him the playing time he needed to restore his confidence. “I was just totally demoralised,” Jansen said. “My confidence has been destroyed and I thought I had played my last game for Blackburn Rovers.”

Little wonder, then, that Jansen was so delighted when he heard that Hughes would be the man to replace Souness after the latter became the surprise choice to succeed Sir Bobby Robson at Newcastle United. “He (Hughes) was always the players’ choice to take over,” Jansen said. “For me personally, it looks like a good appointment. I played up front with him when we got promoted (in the 2000-01 season) and, if anyone knows what I’m capable of, it’s him.”

Nevertheless, Jansen was surprised when he saw the team-sheet at 1.30pm on Saturday and realised that he had been named in the 16-man squad for the first time this season. If at first it seemed like a charitable act from the new manager, it was quickly repaid as Jansen came off the bench to score the goal that saw Blackburn overcome Portsmouth in Hughes’s first match in charge, using his quick feet to control the ball in a crowded penalty area and send a fierce left-foot shot past Shaka Hislop.

No player could better symbolise the sense of a new era and a fresh start at Ewood Park after the grudges and bitter fall-outs that characterised the final months of the Souness regime. Jansen has been the first beneficiary of the clean slate, but it will not take long for others to embrace the methods of Hughes, a manager whose quiet authority will come as a welcome contrast to Souness’s more confrontational style.

Hughes’s record with Wales always suggested that his approach to club management would be one of evolution, rather than revolution, and this rather fortuitous win, Blackburn’s first of the season, will not have disguised the size of the task he has taken on. Portsmouth were by far the better team in the first half and would have claimed at least a point had Ricardo Fuller and Aiyegbeni Yakubu not missed the target when clean through or had Fuller not been denied a penalty when pushed by Brad Friedel with three minutes remaining.

“My heart was in my mouth at that stage,” Hughes said of the penalty appeal. “But I’m delighted with the result. It’s always important to make an immediate impact and we've been able to do that, but we’ve only been here a few days and there are areas I feel that need to be addressed on and off the field. These things will take time to put in place and will take time to have an impact, but that’s why I’m here. Perhaps the club wanted to go in a different direction.”

etc etc etc full article below

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-1270188,00.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.