SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dowie is one of the best young managers in the country and if he doesn't get the Rovers job I will be very surprised if he doesn't leave Palace for another Premiership club in the not too distant future.

People are slagging him because he is inexperienced and is not a household name (and even for being ugly) but is he any more of a risk than the the likes of Houllier, Advocaat, Hoddle and even Hughes, who seems to be most peoples favourite?

Lets face it most of the household names who have been touted for the job are out of work for a reason - they have failed at some other club.

I would applaud the club if Dowie was appointed.

Edited by mjs

I don't think speaking to him guarantees him the job, don't forget terry venables had talks at Newcastle. I would guess the club would like to speak to all of the candidates they have shortlisted, its normal practice when interviewing for a job, don't just appoint the first person who comes along.

I don't think speaking to him guarantees him the job, don't forget terry venables had talks at Newcastle. I would guess the club would like to speak to all of the candidates they have shortlisted, its normal practice when interviewing for a job, don't just appoint the first person who comes along.

Thank god for that! John Williams was walking in the other day just when the woman from Leavers pie shop came along - mind you her cv is probably as good as Dowie's. cool.gif

Dowie or Hughes would be good appointments as far as I'm concerned and I'm pretty sure that either would come if approached.

Make it happen soon JW.

Had my finger over the 38-1 on Betfair fro a tenner on Dowie before I saw the 14k thrown on Hughes so in that respect I'll be a bit sick.

Edited by LDRover

Nothing's guaranteed, but he's probably first choice, at the moment. If he's interviewed and fits the bill, I can't see us talking to anyone else.

Could be wrong though, 'cos really, I don't have a clue. [first to admit it] cool.gif

the area around palace is a crud hole on a par with burnley rolleyes.gif

Thats harsh biggrin.gif ......Burnley is ( no offence meant ) a right hovel.

Just to verify your credentials, can you name the pub near the main stand at Selhurst Park (hon. patron G. Courtney)?.

Do you mean the Clifton arms on the corner , i don't know who the landlord is because i normally drink in the Cherries outside Norwood Junction train station or the Alliance just up the road a bit .

Why do you ask anyway , do you think i'm an agent provocteur (sp) biggrin.gif

Edited by SmithCpfc

Just to verify your credentials, can you name the pub near the main stand at Selhurst Park (hon. patron G. Courtney)?.

Do you mean the Clifton arms on the corner , i don't know who the landlord is because i normally drink in the Cherries outside Norwood Junction train station or the Alliance just up the road a bit .

Why do you ask anyway , do you i'm an agent provocteur (sp) biggrin.gif

Not 'honourable' patron of the pub, 'honorary' patron of CPFC for services to promotion. (ex ref)

BTW Correct answer - you may continue.........

Edited by MCMC1875

Nothing's guaranteed, but he's probably first choice, at the moment. If he's interviewed and fits the bill, I can't see us talking to anyone else.

Could be wrong though, 'cos really, I don't have a clue. [first to admit it] cool.gif

Thought you had to interview all of the candidates.... so 5 on the list? as they are suitable! I don't think we would pick dowie over dick if we didn't have the Mighty Hughes as our first option! tongue.gif

• Backroom

I think Ian Dowie would be a good appointment at this stage, as has been pointed out many times on this thread - he is brilliant at getting the best out of the players he's got (which the new manager whoever he is is going to have to do as we've no money to go splashing around)

Oh yes.. I'm also biased - being an ex Oldham Athletic fan ! tongue.gif

Why do you ask anyway , do you i'm an agent provocteur (sp) biggrin.gif

Not 'honourable' patron of the pub, 'honorary' patron of CPFC for services to promotion. (ex ref)

BTW Correct answer - you may continue.........

I was a bit slow on the Courtny one , memory isn't what is was biggrin.gif

Anyway speaking of pubs i can hear it calling me now ....Hopefully when i wake up tomorrow Hughes will be your new manager and the next time i post on here will be to ask what decent boozers to go to before we play you up there .

Good luck tomorrow against the Geordies

tinykit.giftinykit.gif

it doesnt really matter who they pick after all we are all Rovers fans and its the CLUB that we support !

We can all be angry, objective,subjective,optimistic or down right saddened but at the end of the day we all have the same thoughts about our beloved team/club.

Come on Rovers tinykit.giftinykit.gif

just thought you lot might want an update .

Blackburn are going to officially approach Palace for permission to speak to Dowie .

This has come from a very reliable source who is rarely if ever wrong . My only hope is that it seems Hughes is more favoured at the moment .

Just to add this is not a wind-up or a ploy to make a quick buck on Betfair the only reason i posted it was because this source is always right (sadly)

Personally i'm gutted and so will every Palace fan be if he leaves .

I will be ecstatic if we get Dowie. You know the old saying, "what goes around comes around", well remember a certain little playoff defeat?

Sorry for the Palace fans though I have always had a soft spot for Palace.

I am glad he is doing a job at Palace cause Simon Jordan has had his problems. Apart from when you lot scabbed promotion at our expense I have a lot of time for Palace.

I'm glad your not still bitter over what happened 15 years ago laugh.gif

Well I am! Sorry but some things shouldn't be forgotten. I'd be quite happy with Dowie as manager. Young, ambitious, enthusiastic - just some of his qualitites.

I'd be feeling Glad All Over if we got him. wink.gif

BTW - Well said 1864 - tinykit.gif

anyone got a link to Dowie's match record?

Iain Dowie Managerial record as follows.

P    W    D   L
QPR          2    1    0    1
OLDHAM       82  31   28   23
PALACE       30  16    4   10

If anyone knows an easier way of laying out a table like the one above please let me know!

I still have doubts about Hughes. Managing an international side and managing a club side are worlds apart. He's never had to deal with transfers or work with players and their over-inflated ego's day in day out. Having said that he's ambitious, well respected in the game and seems a genuinly straight and fair bloke in interviews. The squad seem to want him which is a good thing.

If we don't go for him, and I don't believe for one minute he won't be appointed on Monday, I would prefer to see Houllier over Dowie. At least he has a lot of experience, and did relatively well at Liverpool given the pressure of the job.

At the end of the day I'm as clueless as the rest of you.

Funny how Souness has already started falling out with players before he officially takes charge laugh.gif Poor old Patrick. there's going to be some worried prima-donna's on Tyneside this weekend.

Accyrover

And Mark Hughes has made it plain that he will not be approaching Rovers when he said, 'I don't expect them to call.`

How the hell do you know if Hughes has approached Rovers from that quote?

Stop jumping to conclusions

eh? huh.gif

My implication was that he hasn't applied for the job.

I know you thrive on jumping down my throat at every opportunity - but please look before you leap.

Dowie is a good choice, if it happens.

Edited by rover6