BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 V 4 Middlesbrough review

Ozz

We thought Reid had a decent game and didn't lack confidence as he usually does. Gave the ball away a couple of times at the end.

reid sucked, admit it. what did he do, offensively?!?!?!

Who did Reid keep out of the team again? Martin someone? dry.gif

Really struggling for optimism after the goals conceded yesterday. The biggest worry is that at least two of the goals were not as result of us being reduced to ten men but because of the shambolic defending on display. I don't want to start the Emerton criticism up again, but what in the name of God was he thinking? Amoruso? Even I'm begining to lose faith.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem I feel though is in midfield. A central midfield of Ferguson, Tugay and Djorkaeff are just not competitive enough. None of them can tackle and, as good as they may be on the ball, that's not much use when the opposition have it. I thought Ferguson flattered to deceive today. He showed good touches and played some good passes but he didn't track back or cover like a proper central midfielder should. Djorkaeff was class when he had the ball but anonymous when he hadn't, and the less said about Tugay the better.

I'm surprised to see the general slating of Reid's performance today. I thought he did well and was probably man of the match. He was easily our most competitive midfielder and he frequently left his right wing to cover for the inadequacies of his fellow midfielders. I also thought he looked composed on the ball and provided most of the little drive and determination we had. Emerton was again one of our better players but he lacked the sharpness he's shown in the last few games.

Good post Scotty. After the sending off we were still foolishly trying to win the game ffs! ohmy.gif

Hughes first task is to make us sheer bloody minded and difficult to beat. We no longer have the quality of player to trade punches with the top dozen teams in the Prem. We will be unpopular but we need to play with a 4-5-1 formation home and away until we get a few points in the bag. Neil Short Todd Gray at the back with a midfied from Reid (did OK yesterday and has a physical presence lacking in Tugay, De Pedro, MGP etc), Flitcroft, Ferguson (looking better all the time), Douglas, Thompson, Emerton with Djorkaeff given a roaming role between midfield and striker. Up front a lone stiker of either Dickov or Bothroyd (havn't had time to assess him prop yet but must be used to playing lone striker in Italy........and he MUST be better at controlling and holding a ball up than John 'Bambi' Stead whose second touch is invariably a tackle). So called flair players ie MGP, Tugay, De Pedro, Amo, Jansen on the bench for use in the last 15 mins only if there is an opportunity to push on and win the game .

I was fully supportive of the appointment of Mark Hughes but things are already beginning to worry me. Never mind losing to Bournemouth and being thrashed by Boro.

But why does he refuse to play MGP? There is no logical reason for it. If he was atrocious in training he would not have been on the bench today.

What Hughes is struggling to realise is that MGP is taking time to settle down at a new club. The best way to aid his transition is to give him playing time to build his confidence - even if it means substitute performances.

It makes total rational sense to play MGP after he has just had his best game for a long time for Norway. A quasi-sane person would easily work out that after scoring for Norway he'd be chomping on the bit to prove himself against Boro.

But no, Hughes sticks him on the bench and refuses to use him, instead opting for Emerton out-of-position.

When THierry Henry was making a habit of hitting the advertising hoardings in his first year in the Premiership - did Arsene Wenger consign him to the bench and refuse him playing time?

Edited by rover6

i have just about summoned enough good humour to look at the message board and what do I see? Rover6 has been responsible for the last six posts.

I am going to lie down in a dark room again.

you are just jealous he's averaging 4.4 posts a day and you are only on 3.7 a day biggrin.gif

I was fully supportive of the appointment of Mark Hughes but things are already beginning to worry me. Never mind losing to Bournemouth and being thrashed by Boro.

But why does he refuse to play MGP? There is no logical reason for it. If he was atrocious in training he would not have been on the bench today.

What Hughes is struggling to realise is that MGP is taking time to settle down at a new club. The best way to aid his transition is to give him playing time to build his confidence - even if it means substitute performances.

It makes total rational sense to play MGP after he has just had his best game for a long time for Norway. A quasi-sane person would easily work out that after scoring for Norway he'd be chomping on the bit to prove himself against Boro.

But no, Hughes sticks him on the bench and refuses to use him, instead opting for Emerton out-of-position.

When THierry Henry was making a habit of hitting the advertising hoardings in his first year in the Premiership - did Arsene Wenger consign him to the bench and refuse him playing time?

Couldn't agree with you more on that. The same also could be said for Javier De Pedro, sure he hasn't set the team alight but he and MGP both deserve a chance and should be main two contenders for the left-midfield slot. Instead we are seeing players like Jansen and Reid playing there when really they just aren't supposed to be in that position.

well thats almost 24 hours of calming down time and after a hard day at work ive just browsed the posts and im bringing myself to say...reid was good and IMO any criticism is unfair, must of been very hard for him playing his first competitive match for months in a team with 10 men. Made some bad passes at times but he was nervous and this should stop when he gets more confident.

well thats almost 24 hours of calming down time and after a hard day at work ive just browsed the posts and im bringing myself to say...reid was good and IMO any criticism is unfair, must of been very hard for him playing his first competitive match for months in a team with 10 men. Made some bad passes at times but he was nervous and this should stop when he gets more confident.

Maybe so but Steven Reid is not the answer to the left-side of midfield. Morten-Gamst really does deserve an extended, consistent run in the side.

I don't like seeing Emerton being played out of position, but I felt that Reid did a job at the right side of midfield, so hopefully he can just keep on working and give us depth. I agree with R6, Gamst should really get some games soon, and at least Hughes could have subbed someone the last fifteen mins to give Gamst some playing time, even at 3-0 down.

Would also love to see De Pedro get some games, Gally the same..

My team against Chelsea:

Friedel-

Neill, Short, Amo, Gray-

Emerton, Reid, Ferguson, Gamst Pedersen

Djorkaeff-

Jansen/Stead/Bothroyd

...with Gally/Dickov to come on as subs, they're the kind of players to pressurise the opponents!

I'd go with:

Brad

Neill - Short - Amo - Gray

Todd

Emerton - Ferguson - MGP (no better choice)

Djorkaeff

Bothroyd or Gallagher with Dickov as a sub or vice versa.

I think this is a match that could be won ugly, and Todd in a deep defensive midfield role could help us do that.

I'd go with:

Brad

Todd

Djorkaeff

I think this is a match that could be won ugly, and Todd in a deep defensive midfield role could help us do that.

Did you not see the Charlton game (away, season before last) where Todd played that role? Unfortunately, he was v.bad - hopefully Hughes saw it and isn't ever tempted to repeat it!

I'd go with:

Brad

Todd

Djorkaeff

Did you not see the Charlton game (away, season before last) where Todd played that role? Unfortunately, he was v.bad - hopefully Hughes saw it and isn't ever tempted to repeat it!

That was also before Todd went to dingledom and improved his game.

Maybe so but Steven Reid is not the answer to the left-side of midfield. Morten-Gamst really does deserve an extended, consistent run in the side.

He has done nothing for rovers to 'really deserve an extended, consistent run in the side'. Reid played on the RIGHT and did ok. Morten hasent done anything in the games he has started. I am 100% confident that he will be a huge player for us sooner rather than later but at the moment we need points, we cant afford to just give him starting spots in games unless he deserves it, hopefully he will come on as a sub, do really well, then start the game after and go on from there, but for now he needs a good run in the reserves. De Pedro is infront of morten in the pecking order IMO, he is working hard on trying to get fully fit and has done well for the reserves.

He has done nothing for rovers to 'really deserve an extended, consistent run in the side'. Reid played on the RIGHT and did ok. Morten hasent done anything in the games he has started. I am 100% confident that he will be a huge player for us sooner rather than later but at the moment we need points, we cant afford to just give him starting spots in games unless he deserves it, hopefully he will come on as a sub, do really well, then start the game after and go on from there, but for now he needs a good run in the reserves. De Pedro is infront of morten in the pecking order IMO, he is working hard on trying to get fully fit and has done well for the reserves.

But look at what happens when Morten-Gamst isn't played anyway, not a lot in terms of attacking football. We should put him the side and just see what he can do and not judge him after a couple of games since moving to a different league and let him do his best to adapt. Instead of leaving him in the reserves and seeing his confidence slowly drain.

I don't like seeing Emerton being played out of position, but I felt that Reid did a job at the right side of midfield, so hopefully he can just keep on working and give us depth. I agree with R6, Gamst should really get some games soon, and at least Hughes could have subbed someone the last fifteen mins to give Gamst some playing time, even at 3-0 down.

Would also love to see De Pedro get some games, Gally the same..

My team against Chelsea:

Friedel-

Neill, Short, Amo, Gray-

Emerton, Reid, Ferguson, Gamst Pedersen

Djorkaeff-

Jansen/Stead/Bothroyd

...with Gally/Dickov to come on as subs, they're the kind of players to pressurise the opponents!

yeah I'd agree wth that, think Reid could do a job in the centre, its a gamble but then who else will play there anyway, Douglass, Flitty?????????.

We need a mixture of youth and experience up front so I'd go for Djorkaeff and Stead and let Dickov do his headless chicken running in the last 30 minutes because we need Stead to gain confidence and not play a 32yr old striker that can't even get in the Scottish team and spent most his career getting relegated, wasting our money. Still have faith in Stead and him and Djorkaeff should provide the quality, touch wood!!!!!

Total faith that partnership could keep us up

I do wonder whether Matteo or Amo should be dropped its difficult, both not great

What Hughes is struggling to realise is that MGP is taking time to settle down at a new club. The best way to aid his transition is to give him playing time to build his confidence

What complete Bolloxks! You must be deranged if you think that MGP is the answer to our leaking of goals? Give me a break ffs.

although I agree with heeerbeeeergggeeeeehhhhh team, I wonder whether, (if we don't win in the next 7-8 games) that we should consider the side(similar) and formation that won 4 games in a row toward the end of last season, I hate to see it as its desperate and not attractive but it would be

Friedel

neill Todd/Amo Short Gray

Flitty Ferguson Douglas (all defensive)

Tugay (free to conrol the game and not defend)

Stead Djorkaeff

Edited by chris

first og all folks let not start blaming the manager, he told them at hafk time that it was all about defending and what happens they do not do it. as for not playing new players, it is a good idea to let them play some second teams games first, so that they can get to know the club and the systems that the team play.

No is down to the players and only them, they have to learn to defend and not to give up after the other team scores.

football is about team work and pride, with a lot more we can do a lot better without it we are in the ---------

tinykit.gif I have stated this several times

Lucas Neill should be played at centre half alongside Short. Gresko should be brought in at left back leaving reid at right back.

I am not a supporter of Reid but we know he has pace if not a lot else to cope with a left winger.

I am dreading next weekend.

I looked at the odds for the Boro score and you got a minimum of 40-1, I have tried to look at the odds for next weekend and fully expect a good set of odds for a 6 or 7 nil scoreline UNLESS drastic action is taken.

Back to our team.

Well Friedel has not done much wrong so he stays at Number 1.

Defenders as above.

Midfield - well certainly we start with Emerton and Fergie, I would also put Flitcroft in (thats if he hasnt left to join Wigan as was the rumour on Saturday), the 4th member of that midfield would be Gray as the left sided option, allowing for any formation change in the second half.

The front is where next problem lies.

I would stick Stead up front as a lone player and leave Djorkeaff to support him or simply bolster the midfield.

That gives us

Friedel

Reid,Neill,Short,Gresko

Emerton,Ferguson,Flitcroft,Gray

Djorkeaff

Stead

subs wise and if fit

Enckleman

NEJ

MGP

Gallacher/Jansen

Todd

Chelsea play a strong midfield of Lampard,geremi,makele and Duff. I watch them closely and see that as Man City did if you cramp Duff and get a Lampard then they dont appear to be able to cause many problems. I saw nothing in the City line up that we havent got (Anelka aside) and in Chelsea I thought they were very one dimentional.

A whole lot of pundits are ready to put Rovers out to slaughter next weekend, I believe Rovers are currently 8-1 to win on the fixed odds. I cant see us winning in reality but we are their bogey team and we are due a whole lotta luck.

Heres hoping eh ?

I don't want to see Vratti back at left back, he's looked all to clumsy to play there.. at left wing on the other hand, I think he can do a job. However, here I want to see Gamst Pedersen or De Pedro get a run, because they ARE our leftwingers. Gamst will probably cover better defensively than De Pedro, against Chelsea I guess that covering up on the opposite wing is more important - since they don't have any rightwingers at the moment.

I don't know how Neill would cope in a central defender position, but if he can play there then getting him in and Reid down at right back seems interesting. Lucas is more pacy than Amo/Matteo for sure, it's more the tactical bit that worries me when it comes to playing him in there..!

Emerton should obviously play at the right wing, even though Reid did ok there - Emo's qualities is needed on that side, not on the left where he looks out of position. (which he is..)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.