SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that he had a poor game tonight but, come on, Smith is a top quality player. I like Crouch, particularly because he offers something different, but Smith is definitely the better player.

Edited by tcj_jones

I know that he had a poor game tonight but, come on, Smith is a top quality player. I like Crouch, particularly because he offers something different, but Smith is definitely the better player.

Jermaine Defoe's much better, Smith didn't do anything besides losing the ball and closing the defenders down.

Jenas is one of the most over-rated piles of (to quote Alan Sugar, appropriately) tut [too-t] to grace the Premiership. He's nothing short of average: neither strong in the tackle nor good with the pass, demonstrated on a day-to-day basis by his performances for Spurs. Quite why he made the England squad ahead of so many other deserving candidates is beyond me. McClaren may have finally had the guts to bring back Beckham, but his continuation of the Lampard-Gerrard central midfield pairing (though that's probably the best we've seen of them) and the decision to pick certain players from high profile clubs over those who have had much better seasons (mentioning no names) suggests that Steve hasn't learnt from his predecessor's mistakes. Perhaps we shouldn't read too much into a friendly - particularly given that, after switching to 4-5-1, England went ahead - but 'mini-Sven' has a loooong way to go before he's to prove he can cut it at international level. His gameplay is largely negative, his peristence with certain players; aggravating... and the decision not to play Bentley; just down-right idiotic ;)

I don't want to inject any more negativity into the discussion other than what has already been said, apart from saying that I agree with the general trend. However there seems to me to be one glaring omission that nobody has mentioned so far; that is Michael Owen! I only saw the last 5 mins of the first half and all of the second half, but from what I did see, I can't remember anything at all that Owen contributed to England's cause. And before anybody gets the wrong idea; I am NOT anti-Owen in any way, shape or form. It's just that he did not seem to do anything of note (he was not alone in that) but nobody seems to have noticed that, and whilst they are busy slating the likes of Smith, Dyer, Jenas and Lampard (correctly) they don't mention Owen at all.

I would be fuming if I were Bentley this morning,he's worked so hard to get that full England cap.....F'kin Jenas????? :angry::blink::angry:

The atmosphere at the new Wembley comes across as bloody non existant to me and very stale,obviously nothing to do with 20,000 corporate arseholes taking there seats 10 mintues into the game.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I have to disagree TCJ. Alan Smith is nowhere near top quality. Sure he is a good player else he wouldnt be at United but he's very limited at what he does. He's like a very good Dickov. I'd say Crouch, as well as being better in the air, is better on the ground also. Crouch really does suffer because of his size.

Alan Smiths record for United is 12 goals in 61 starts. That is a poor ratio for someone playing in a Man United team who win far more than they lose. I know he's played some of them in midfield but thats because he's not been good enough to get a game up front

His England strike rate is 1 in 16 caps.

Crouch is 29 goals in 71 games for Liverpool and 11 goals in 17 internationals.

FIife - with regard to Owen I agree that apart from the header onto the roof of the net he did very little. However I let him off in my rant due to the fact that he's only played 330 minutes of football in 12 months and he is proven at scoring for England. It does sum up our lack of quality that despite his lack of matches we are almost compelled to pick him.

Oh and something else that just came to mind - did I hear people actually booing Beckham when he got on the ball?! If I heard correctly, then some of our "fans," are an utter disgrace.

I didn't hear the booing, I thought there were a lot of cheers. Plus people were shouting "shoot!" at every free kick.

Have watched Owen at St James's the other week, at Turf Moor last week and on tv last night and I have to agree with Fife. The commentators keep saying that he's getting there, looks strong and sharp etc but I can't see it myself. He may need time on the pitch but if we had to bring Beckham back because"we need wins now" then we surely have to leave Owen out because we need wins now and with him up front we probably can't get them. Anyone hear the guy from the People on the radio this morning. Mike Parry doing his usual OTT on Beckham and saying we need him because there's nobdy else who can play there and expecting People guy to agree with him but guy says he can't see why Bentley, who was outstanding last week, wasn't given time on the pitch. Shut Parry up very quickly and guy cut off even quicker!

What really worries me is that Brazil weren't ever at full stretch there. Estonia are poor but, judging by the Albania performance last week, will really come at us. The England team last night played a very slow game and I couldn't see where a change of pace was going to come from with Gerrard holding back so far and Lampard unable to pass a ball forward. It's one of those stupid games that we ought to win easily but could find ourselves not winning or just scraping through.

I havent read all the previous posts so apologies if I plagiarise anybody but.......

Equaliser on 92 minutes, some things never change.

Evidence that there is a GOD AS! Just about 5 mins after I declared that I was desperately rooting for Brazil to score to get that fool back into civvy street where he belongs!

I'm not pro Bentley as the new England messiah but for the fool to play Dire and Jenas before his is just a pathetic wimpering sop to appease the southren press.

Lets look at this

1. Dire....... wtf has he ever done in Newcastle colours ... never mind Englands .... to suggest that he has anything whatsoever to bring to the international scene? He doesn't score or make goals, doesn't tackle, there really is nothing there!

2. Jenas....... ditto.

3. Lamps and Stevie G in midfield! (especially when Brazil have Bucky and Kaka as attacking midfielders:o) The fool obviously possesses the memory capabilities of an average goldfish? Those two cannot play together full bloody stop. This is old stuff now by me, but Lampard needs to be told there is only one shirt available to him .... Gerrards!

4. Gerrard simply needs informing of that situation.

5. Owen was good because of two assets .... his speed and his finsihing. His speed has quite obviously been consigned to the past. As a result his finishing capabilities dont really come into the equation any longer. Yesterdays man.

6. Smith! Oh my God! s somebody has already said he is MU's Paul Dickov. He is not good enough for MU never mind England! He is a complete non starter at international level simply because he does not have a 'best position'.

7. Downing in the squad is fine by me....just. He's not the best left footed player in the world but he's the best left footed wingman that England have.

8. Wes Brown there really mis nothing to say about this mans inclusion in the squad! His ability speaks for itself.

That lot is for starters but by far the worst and most talentless member of the squad and the most clueless AS THE WHOLE FOOTBALLING WORLD KNEW FROM DAY BLOODY ONE..... is Maclaren!

Edited by thenodrog

I really can't be bothered to go into the usual slating of players and manager after an England game. I've done it enough over the years and besides, glancing through previous posts, it's been done pretty comprehensively this time by certain people.

It occured to me that it's high time that England held up their hands and admit their failings. Only then can we progress. Think Sam Allardyce's Bolton. No - not the parody of Sam Allardyce's Bolton competing in a hoofathon, but the Bolton that repeatedly troubled the big clubs despite being made up of golden oldies plucked from all over the world.

Allardyce's tactics made no apologies for Bolton's direct style. He had skilful players in his team and on their day they could pass the ball about well at a quick tempo. However, the basis of Bolton's success was their direct style, aerial strength in the box, meticulous preparation of set-pieces, 4-5-1 formation, using a big man as a battering ram.

The England team cannot pass the ball around like the continentals or south americans. We cannot do the neat inter-play thing with the long periods of effortless possession. Yet, because others can, we are trying to do so and failing quite miserably at it (think last world cup). We have players who are excellent at long passes and crosses. We have a big man who can win headers. Why don't we give-up on continental style and ideals that pundits repeat religiously? We might not have Allardyce in charge but surely seeing as we can't compete at the passing game we should play to our strengths?

We might attract ridicule and criticism for being boring and rudimentary (like Bolton) but if it's effective - why not? We're hardly playing delightful football now.

Edited by rover6

The England team cannot pass the ball around like the continentals or south americans. We cannot do the neat inter-play thing with the long periods of effortless possession. Yet, because others can, we are trying to do so and failing quite miserably at it (think last world cup). We have players who are excellent at long passes and crosses. We have a big man who can win headers. Why don't we give-up on continental style and ideals that pundits repeat religiously? We might not have Allardyce in charge but surely seeing as we can't compete at the passing game we should play to our strengths?

We might attract ridicule and criticism for being boring and rudimentary (like Bolton) but if it's effective - why not? We're hardly playing delightful football now.

The reason why we are failing is that we are falling between two worlds - playing at an unaturally slow pace against technically superior players (at the highest level that is )

The way to beat the Brazils of this world is to pick our best footballers (obviously) and to ask them very politely to play at full pelt for 90 minutes ; passing and moving and closing down incessantly . If they can't or won't do that then they should move aside .

Rover6 implies that this would make for boring football . I disagree ; it's the kind of football we like to see week in , week out . What it mustn't mean is that we resort to the long ball , aiming at Crouch's head ; this is both stupid because Crouch is about the most skillful forward we have , aand , of course , at the top level it will be dealt with easily by defenders .

I remain convinced that the most consistent exponent of the best means by which English football could and should be taken forward is none other than Sir Alex Ferguson himself . Man Utd have been playing fast moving football on the ground by hard working players for years now .

I would be fuming if I were Bentley this morning,he's worked so hard to get that full England cap.....F'kin Jenas????? :angry::blink::angry:

Exactly, will do wonders for his confidence....................... having four subs brought on before him. "Everyone's good enough for a run out son................ except you."

I saw a quote by ginger Sven mid week in which he desceribed Bentley as "having potential but that's all it is" I agree he's no world beater yet, but I think he's shown a lot more than "potential" this season - it's not like he's some raw untested Walcottian type seventeen year kid. The only way he's going to blossom at this level is by being given time on the pitch.

As I predicted when goldenballs was recalled, DB's call up was a complete waste of time. Didn't even make it on to the pitch and will have had everyone else telling him how great it is at Man Ure/Arsenal/Chelski all week etc. :rolleyes:

The reason why we are failing is that we are falling between two worlds - playing at an unaturally slow pace against technically superior players (at the highest level that is )

The way to beat the Brazils of this world is to pick our best footballers (obviously) and to ask them very politely to play at full pelt for 90 minutes ; passing and moving and closing down incessantly . If they can't or won't do that then they should move aside .

Nail, hammer head.

Although imo it's not a recent thing, that has been our failing at international level for almost as long as I can remember, probably since failing to qualify for the 74 world Cup.

Nail, hammer head.

Although imo it's not a recent thing, that has been our failing at international level for almost as long as I can remember, probably since failing to qualify for the 74 world Cup.

Bowling green pitches and cautions dished out like confetti for even daring to look aggressive stack up against us too.

Edited by thenodrog

I think that is half right. We have the skill (maybe not in the style of Brazil, but no one has that), but I don't know why we chose to play at such a slow tempo, especially as our ball retention isn't even that good when we do it. The only player who looked like he knew what he was doing out there when playing at that tempo was Beckham, but he also looks equally at home when things briefly picked up.

We produce athletes in this country who can run all day and hustle and bustle. Its why someone with guile and composure like Tugay can still dominate almost any midfield in the Premiership despite being 58. The touch and technique of even our supposed top players like Lampard is terrible. Someone like Carrick who is touted as some silky midfield ball-player is frankly ordinary and then in the ties against Milan progressing to "found out" and "awful".

Even good players look ordinary sometimes folks. Anyone want to rewatch the champions league final and then tell me about Kaka's amazing skill? We have good enough players to beat any side in the world, we simply haven't worked out a style, formation, starting 11, etc that allows us to really play well.

Even good players look ordinary sometimes folks. Anyone want to rewatch the champions league final and then tell me about Kaka's amazing skill? We have good enough players to beat any side in the world, we simply haven't worked out a style, formation, starting 11, etc that allows us to really play well.

Sort of essential isn't it? I mean Rovers could win the championship if they were able to work a system that could beat every team in the league. While England stutter, assuring everyone that some day they might be good enough to consistently match superior teams, the rest of the world just gets on with it.

Oh and something else that just came to mind - did I hear people actually booing Beckham when he got on the ball?! If I heard correctly, then some of our "fans," are an utter disgrace.

You must have slightly misheard.

It appears that boos were directed at Lampard:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/...d_McClaren.html

Sort of essential isn't it? I mean Rovers could win the championship if they were able to work a system that could beat every team in the league. While England stutter, assuring everyone that some day they might be good enough to consistently match superior teams, the rest of the world just gets on with it.

The difference is that England have the players, whereas we don't. The likes of Italy and France simply do not have a superior bunch of players.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.