BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley Called Up

Ricky

It seems like Bentley is enjoying playing for Rovers and his bond with fellow-Rover Derbyshire seems a strong one.

Notice after Routledge's goal. Bentley went on to congrate Derbyshire who provided the assist, rather than Routledge who scored the goal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aYSaFOaZ8g0

Bentley actually drags Derbyshire away from all the other players as well..just as saying: "come on Derbs mate you made his goal, no need to give Routledge any praise. now lets go on and set you up for a goal as well Derbs!" :P

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shoppybrfc

Also why is Lennon ahead of Bentley? Bentley has a end product, Lennon is just a 60 yard sprinter posing as a footballer, he has poor technique, poorer crossing then bentley and a very poor shot.

What do others think?

Derbyshire will never be world class and that wasn't a world class ball and I would agree that if the defender had done his job properly he would have cut it out (it looks as though he gets a touch on it). That is taking nothing away from Derbs, he's done well for us this season and it is great to see him being rewarded, but he's not the next Michael Owen, think of everything that Owen had done by Derbyshire's age. If Derbyshire has the ability to be world class then so do 90% of premiership strikers.

Derbyshire will never be world class and that wasn't a world class ball and I would agree that if the defender had done his job properly he would have cut it out (it looks as though he gets a touch on it). That is taking nothing away from Derbs, he's done well for us this season and it is great to see him being rewarded, but he's not the next Michael Owen, think of everything that Owen had done by Derbyshire's age. If Derbyshire has the ability to be world class then so do 90% of premiership strikers.

i agree, Matty has done well for us this season, but he is not a world class striker and he will never will be. If Roberts was fit for most of this season i doubt Matty would have started so many matches.

I think Lennon is better than Bentley.

Maybe my blue and white tinted spectacles - but it's Bentley for me. Lennon doesn't score many, and his crossing is abysmal. Fantastic speed and running at the defender - just needs to learn how to cross. Bentley hasn't got the lightning speed, but has the skill to get half a yard on his man, and is a fantastic crosser. What isn't in question is that Bentley should certainly be in the squad above SWP IMO.

In my opinion SWP is the best of the lot, but he doesn't deserve his place as he doesn't play regularly. If all of them were playing regularly and it were up to me I would have Beckham, SWP and Bentley if I needed a third, although I might still pick Lennon as his pace is good coming off of the bench and the ability of other players in the squad to play on the right.

In my opinion SWP is the best of the lot, but he doesn't deserve his place as he doesn't play regularly.

SWP has been ruined by Jose IMO. He was sensational in his last season at City - but as with Duff - he isn't the player he was.

There are several good candidates for the RW spot with England; the real problem is the LW. Bentley is quite capable of filling that role, and better than any other candidate at present. So why does he not get it? I know (and so do we all) Downing is McClarens little pet. :angry:

At the risk of the little'un ripping us apart in the SF, I think SWP now is mostly good news for the opposition when he is on the team sheet.

Lennon has not developed the way he could and should have this season.

Bentley is much the better footballer of the three- the other two would be pretty ordinary if you took their blistering pace away.

I am not much of a fan of Jenas- name any England squad over the past 40 years that Jenas would get into other than the current set-up. Dyer would get into some of the squads provided he had a lobotomy.

I think the criticism of Derbyshire's pass is way over the top. Typical "he's only a Blackburn lad" thinking.

I've not been critical of his pass because he's "only a Blackburn lad", simply because although it was very good vision I don't think the execution was perfect and 9/10 it would have been cut out. As for your comment about "if you took away their blistering pace", well that's all very well and good but pace makes up for a lot and it gives them an ability to hurt a team in a way that even a much more complete footballer, but slower, could. We all need to cast our minds back to Lennon's performances of last season, including in the world cup and SWP's performances for Man City (even his goal against Spurs) and then decide whether we would be making such a fuss about him if we weren't Rovers fans. Now I'm not saying he isn't a very good player, he is and I think I am one of a handful who was delighted to see him brought here on loan and even happier when we signed him as I thought he was a player with great potential, but England have some very talented players at the moment and it isn't so cut and dried as to who is better and who you would pick. All three of the players in competition for that spot are young, talented and offer something slightly different, when you then throw Beckham into the mix it isn't a simple decision to make.

Going back to Derbyshire, can anyone honestly say that he has been any more impressive this season than Lita? I think we always need to think of the players make similar impacts at other clubs before we think we are onto the next Michael Owen or the best uncapped English striker in the premiership (I'm not saying anyone has said that, just using it as an example).

I'm a firm believer in the fact that a player shouldn't play for his country in a position that he doesn't play for his club.

Well it depends on the player really doesn't it? If a player is equally proficient in both positions, then why not. No England player springs to mind, but Ljungberg has played on the left for Sweden for the past 9 years while at the same time playing on the right for Arsenal, and done well for both teams.

That is a fair point, but I think you have to be looking for a player who then switches sides regularly for his club as well, which Ljungberg has done for Arsenal as well; if less frequently. Bentley never plays on the left for us, except in the most rare of circumstances and so shouldn't be considered as an option for that position for the England team.

I must also add and this would be another exception, that as far as I'm aware Bentley has never regularly played on the left during his career at either Norwich or Arsenal. If he had simply made a position switch for us and it was a relatively slight one then I think that would be fine.

Edited by Eddie

I'm a firm believer in the fact that a player shouldn't play for his country in a position that he doesn't play for his club.

Oh really! You won't remember Tom Finney will you? Played mostly at OL for England, and OR for his club. I rest my case. :)

Maybe my blue and white tinted spectacles - but it's Bentley for me. Lennon doesn't score many, and his crossing is abysmal. Fantastic speed and running at the defender - just needs to learn how to cross. Bentley hasn't got the lightning speed, but has the skill to get half a yard on his man, and is a fantastic crosser. What isn't in question is that Bentley should certainly be in the squad above SWP IMO.

Personally Lennon is much the more dangerous player for me. Bentley could be outstanding in time but Lennon offers a lot more right now imo. I think Bentley exclusion from the England squad this time round was quite understandable. Next time however he should get in if he continues in the same vein.

For the U 21s Bentley played inside Routledge anyway and so could be accommodated for England even if you persisted with Lennon. Personally, although pace matters it is not the be all and end all and being able to hit a decent cross is as important if not more so and so I'd choose Bentley any day

For the U 21s Bentley played inside Routledge anyway and so could be accommodated for England even if you persisted with Lennon. Personally, although pace matters it is not the be all and end all and being able to hit a decent cross is as important if not more so and so I'd choose Bentley any day

Amazing crossing ability for a player not generally regarded as pacey. Bentley gets most of his cross attempts into the target area even when not apparently in front of the defender. Compare this with Emerton (and many more) who invariably hit the first defender with the ball when attempting to cross. When Bentley came to us at first I could see little premiership ability in him so it's nice to be proven wrong with the level of his development since then.

I must also add and this would be another exception, that as far as I'm aware Bentley has never regularly played on the left during his career at either Norwich or Arsenal. If he had simply made a position switch for us and it was a relatively slight one then I think that would be fine.

Most of his england u21 games have been on the left. Remember last season the coach said bentley could the answer to the england left side.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.