BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto 2007/08

mark

with only 11 games remaining and 9 points to catch up it looks like our chances of clinching a Uefa Cup spot are very slim. with this in mind do you think the club will be think looking to enter?

i for one think we should.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with only 11 games remaining and 9 points to catch up it looks like our chances of clinching a Uefa Cup spot are very slim. with this in mind do you think the club will be think looking to enter?

Why do you think our chances are slim? Boro have been to the final of it before and I see no reason at all why we cant.

As for the inter toto, Yes, I think we should enter. In the past I have always looked down on it however, Newcastle seem to have done ok from it.

As fan yes, for the team, no.

I love watching Rovers in Europe and the intertoto cup would give me the oppotunity to do this, however at the moment I feel as though our squad is not big enough and would have a big impact on the season ahead. Saying that Newcastle qualified for the UEFA cup through this route and they are into the last 32 like ourselves.

As fan yes, for the team, no.

I love watching Rovers in Europe and the intertoto cup would give me the oppotunity to do this, however at the moment I feel as though our squad is not big enough and would have a big impact on the season ahead. Saying that Newcastle qualified for the UEFA cup through this route and they are into the last 32 like ourselves.

No way, we've been stretched past our breaking point already with injuries etc. PLayers need a good restful off season. If we qualify by virtue of a cup win or league position fair enough. I'd really like to know how well we could have done this season with a fully fit squad. It seems what could have been a very exciting season is going to be tempered by us fizzling out due to injuries.

No particular reason why we shouldn't enter. Suggesting it will have a negative impact on our season is surely untrue...it's only four extra games to get a Uefa Cup place! Mix it in with a couple of friendlies and hey presto...it's a pre-season.

Now saying a long run in Europe (not just four games) may stretch the squad a bit is fair enough although not what is being discussed but there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to overcome it. Most of the injuries we have been cursed with have nothing to do with players being tired. Savage, Reid, Nelsen, Ooijer...these were just bad luck injuries that could happen at any time and not to do with the number of games we play.

I think Newcastle are showing that you can enter and still have a decent season. Considering the injuries they have had then mid table is fine for them and you only need to get through 2 rounds. It's a no brainer for me.

The format has slightly changed this season, there is now just one two legged inter toto cup match - and from there its possible to go into the UEFA Cup at the same stage as we did.

Newcastle's two matches were 10th and 24th August.

Then they played on the 14th Sept

The format has slightly changed this season, there is now just one two legged inter toto cup match - and from there its possible to go into the UEFA Cup at the same stage as we did.

Newcastle's two matches were 10th and 24th August.

Then they played on the 14th Sept

Sorry Stu but you've got that wrong...Newcastle also played Lillestrom in July.

Four games are needed but even so it is surely worth it for a place in Europe?

Thats not to bad i spose, assuming that we don't play to many other pre season games. Just go into it after 1 or 2 matches.

Exactly...no need to play some second rate team at Ewood in front of 5,000 or so then knock another friendly off on top of that. That would mean only an extra couple of games for a place in Europe.

On the other hand if we are really, really serious about concentrating on the league to get an upper midtable finish then why not just go the whole hog and withdraw from the FA & League Cups before even starting? Probably because most seasons are bloody boring without any good cup runs to enjoy.

I agree with Manc - it's a no-brainer. All the fans love playing in Europe and as for the players getting tired...stuff 'em! They'll be fine, they ain't unruly babies that need pampering or they have a tantrum...

...OK well maybe some are like that but still - stuff 'em!

I see no reason not to enter it. If we don't think our squad is up to it then put a reserve side out. If they make it then that is great and if they don't then we haven't lost anything and have the opportunity to give reserve and youth players a run-out in a match that actually means something but isn't too important.

If we can qualify for it (i believe the opportunity goes to the team in the league just below the european places) then we should enter.

The Uefa cup is a winnable cup and the coverage and revenue from competing in europe as well as raising the club's profile is all benificial. Added to which, it gives a bit more meaning and interest than the usual friendlies - which would be played anyway - so travel aside the team would hardly be any more tired. We've had some cracking nights in europe so far, and it'd lift the club fans and players alike to do so again.

As to whether the squad is big enough, i reckon it is. Not every season will be plagued by injuries like this one has been. We've 6 centre backs, 4 good strikers, 4 awesome centre mids, back up on the wings and even two left backs that we can rely on. Hopefully we'll finish up high enough in the league to enter it - which in itself is a good thing as gives the final few games more meaning.

Of course we have got to apply.

As for those saying our squad isn't big enough, we were missing seven players on Saturday yet the 16 names we put on the sheet still didn't include any youth players and Gray, Peter and Nonda didn't even make the bench.

I cannot see the Intertoto going to 8th place; too many top ten teams are certain to be out of the FA Cup before the sixth round draw. In fact, only three of the current top ten will go into the hat assuming Chelsea win their 5th round tie.

So we have 18 goals and 7 points to make up on 7th placed Pompey before those opposed to the Intertoto can start to get worried and het up about it.

I see no reason not to enter it. If we don't think our squad is up to it then put a reserve side out. If they make it then that is great and if they don't then we haven't lost anything and have the opportunity to give reserve and youth players a run-out in a match that actually means something but isn't too important.

My sentiments precisely.

I've always wondered why more clubs don't adopt this approach.

Just treat the games as pre-season friendlies; If we win, great we're in Europe again. If we lose, we're in the same position we started.

In that context it seems a no brainer, but if we entered and treated the games too seriously (i.e. starting pre-season training early to get near match fitness) then I'd be dead against it because we would probably burn out towards the end of the season.

What a grievous shame for them. Especially given that they get paid in the break too.

I'm not having a go at you, but doing elite sport really does take its toll on you. Burning out is a serious thing to happen and leaves you starting to despise the sport you love.

I'm not having a go at you, but doing elite sport really does take its toll on you. Burning out is a serious thing to happen and leaves you starting to despise the sport you love.

Is that why your boys lost the cricket ... really ... they'll use any excuse!!!

:lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

After last night I have to say I am even more hopeful for another European campaign and via the Intertoto if need be. It just felt as if we missed out just before the real fun began... :angry:

Hopefully John Williams has already started preparing the application. We just have to move up a few places and hope that Uefa place for the FA Cup reverts to the league. Fifth, sixth and even seventh will probably receive a Uefa Cup place. If Newcastle or Tottenham win the Uefa then an Intertoto place could be had for as low as ninth...

Archived