BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Been in most of them at some time or another and notwithstanding ownership / chef changes the Bukhara was imo always a cut above all the others. Unfortunately the hygiene issue has spoiled it for me.

btw... Sharzan imo provides curry for middle class white people. Nothing wrong with that of course cos the objective of any business is to make money and that must make piles of it! It's just not for the more discerning diner seeking authentic IndoPak cuisine.

Been in most of them at some time or another and notwithstanding ownership / chef changes the Bukhara was imo always a cut above all the others. Unfortunately the hygiene issue has spoiled it for me.

btw... Sharzan imo provides curry for middle class white people. Nothing wrong with that of course cos the objective of any business is to make money and that must make piles of it! It's just not for the more discerning diner seeking authentic IndoPak cuisine.

You're just trying to be controversial now.

Not this time Sparky..... whatever are you inferring? ^_^

That is my honest opinion. I haven't bothered with the Sharzan for quite a time but of all the IndoPak restaurants that I've eaten at the Bukhara stands out for the number of 'south asian' people eating there. Dont know if it's the absence of alcohol or the food itself but its a fair bet it's to do with both.

Shahi Quili is prob more suited for asians but personally the food there is a little too 'authentic' for me (most of it's been made for quite some time) and I've not been to Maida but that is not licensed either so does that attract more asians than English?

Edited by thenodrog

The food rating has really put me off going back to Bukhara, yes its improved, but I ate there when it wasn't up to standard and thats spoiled things for me.

If anyone is looking to try somewhere different I'd recommend the Naga at Abbey Village, been many times and never had a bad meal. The chefs specials are fantastic, some fish dishes on the menu to, great place.

• 2 weeks later...

Four of us went to The Rock at Tockholes last night on the three courses for £9.99 menu. Ate in the restaurant type section at the back. Could just be a mid week menu, can't remember. But fantastic value. No scrimping on the portions. Four or five choices for each course and I could have picked any. A couple of pints of Guinness and I left absolutely stuffed. They do also have a main menu crammed with all sorts. Give it a go.

• Like 1

Oakleys pizzeria is also really good in Skipton, the biggest calzone I've ever seen.... Two for one (or something to that effect) before a certain time which escapes me now.

A fantastic little pub across the ginnel as well which I believe is in the good pub and/or beer guide.

Indian Restaurants I see are popular, my favourite dish is Saag, Saag Paneer, the chicken is great, otherwise, I try to be careful with a few of the dishes.

Tandoori chicken off the bone Saag Wala is usually my weapon of choice at the excellent "Ruchi" on Whitworth road in Rochdale.One of the few restaurants i've been to where Tandoori chicken is offered as an alternative choice of meat to go with any curry.They do a midweek special which includes popadoms with chutneys,a mixed starter and a choice of curry's with rices (excluding specials) for £7.95.Fantastic value with large portions and the staff are amongst the best you will see.Highly recommended!

Tandoori chicken off the bone Saag Wala is usually my weapon of choice at the excellent "Ruchi" on Whitworth road in Rochdale.One of the few restaurants i've been to where Tandoori chicken is offered as an alternative choice of meat to go with any curry.They do a midweek special which includes popadoms with chutneys,a mixed starter and a choice of curry's with rices (excluding specials) for £7.95.Fantastic value with large portions and the staff are amongst the best you will see.Highly recommended!

Mm , I can walk there in 10 minutes. I must try it. In spite of the demographics Rochdale is a bit of a desert for good curry houses.

Last post before I go dark again but has anyone had burgers at the boat yard .. Oh man yummy

The best burgers in the country (by far), are at Almost Famous (formerly Manchester, now Liverpool). Until they accidentally burnt the place down in the Northern Quarter, it was gaining such momentum and incredible reviews. They've just opened a new one in Liverpool, and I'm told are opening a new one in Manchester soon. They where serving out of another NQ resteraunt in the mean time, but I can't remember which.

• Backroom

They are in their sister restaurant lust luck liqour and burn

The food is meant to be fantastic but I can't get past the pretentious vibe they have going on and the hipster menu ha

My mate went to the Liverpool one last week and had a candied bacon cheeseburger

I've had good seafood in Livebait Manchester but no idea if they do lobster or if it's any good.

You could try asking the Oyster and Otter if one could be cooked especially for you.

Edited by Paul

Took the plunge and tried a take away from Khyber tonight.

I had the garlic chilli chicken. You first taste the garlic, then the chilli has a word. Terrific stuff.

After a gallon of strong lager the Khyber is the absolute best by some distance. Not as good in the cold light of day though.

Can anybody recommend a reasonably local restaurant that serves lobster. I have a real urge to try it and never have.

Yu and You does lobster, but its a chinese resturant so cooked in that style.

San Carlos in Manchester also does some great lobster dishes.