BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mr X - Guess Away

I've searched through all of Nicko's post since the start of May and can't find half the details you're alluding to there - I presume much of this "information" was revealed via PMs?

They're all from threads in one form or another, I haven't received any information by PM.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to do this yesterday but then someone else typed out a summary of the clues. Anyway, the following are the relevant direct quotes.

(I had to do it this way as I wasn't allowed to quote this many things in the normal way)

'nicko' 'May 18 2009, 20:23 '

Rovers are after better than him... (ref to Zaki)

'nicko' 'May 21 2009, 21:04 '

It's a possible but there will be a queue. (ref to Kuranyi)

The target you are working on is better anyway...

'nicko' 'May 21 2009, 22:00 '

The striker you are after is a 'before Roque goes' deal...not an 'after Roque goes deal.'

It won't break the bank, it is within the budget and it is pretty imaginative.

It has stayed quiet so far and needs to stay that way for a wee bit longer.

There could be other things going on, but this one looks the furthest down the road of any potential deal.

'nicko' 'May 22 2009, 12:06 '

I can't give out any clues on this and - by the looks of it - I won't be able to write it any time soon.

All I will say is that it is going well and should happen.

You will see the need for secrecy when/if it goes through.

Better to have a very good striker in your side in August than a bit of news in May...

Hoping to have the whole tale when the time is right.

Think it's worth the wait.

Anyway, there's a game at Wembley to keep you occupied.

Never been to the Royal Box before. ;)

'nicko' 'May 22 2009, 12:18 '

I can't go into any detail...the guy would go straight into your team in my opinion.

And be a very major asset.

'nicko' 'May 26 2009, 21:56 '

Funnily enough Owen wanted him at one stage...but got knocked back.

Better give him a bell. :lol:

Only joking.

'nicko' 'May 26 2009, 22:02 '

If Owen thinks he's a striker, then he's a good striker.

And he is.

'nicko' 'May 26 2009, 22:16 '

Coyley is not in the market for this player now...long story. Explain it later when the deal hopefully comes off.

'nicko' 'Jun 7 2009, 20:42 '

I think it's a very good idea and hopefully it comes off...but only time will tell whether the guy is the answer if you get him.

'nicko' 'Jun 8 2009, 15:44 '

Working on it, hoping for an answer soon. There is only so long that something can stay quiet...

Can't be setting deadlines as that is not needed in this case. No need to push the club to let the player go. It's just down to circumstances that will become obvious once the guy is named.

'nicko' 'Jun 9 2009, 11:55 '

Long story...

The time-scale is all that remains on this. The deal is in place in many ways. Just one vital final piece before it happens.

Got to say I heard last night that it may take longer than I hoped or expected.

However it is still on track.

What about all that "hasn't scored in the Premiership/England" stuff on the last page? Made up?

Christ, and you wonder how rumours start...

I don't personally remember Nicko ever saying that nor did I notice it when looking through his posts. I think that may be a case of Chinese whispers, though I am willing to be proven wrong if anyone can be bothered.

I don't personally remember Nicko ever saying that nor did I notice it when looking through his posts. I think that may be a case of Chinese whispers, though I am willing to be proven wrong if anyone can be bothered.

I was certain he had said it but after some series stalking of nicko's posts I don't see where he has ever mentioned about him playing in the premier league or scoring goals etc, think like you said it was just a lot of chinese whispers because nicko said it would be on a small budget and people jumped to the conclusion that it couldn't be a good striker who plays here.

So basically to summarise the main clues seem to be

1. nicko rates him better than Kuyrani and Zaki
  2. Owen Coyle has looked at him in the past but is no longer interested due to reasons nicko will reveal later
  3. It won't break the bank and is in budget
  4. It will be an imaginative signing
  5. There is one final detail which needs to be in place until the deal is happens
  6. When it's all said and done we'll understand the hush hush side of things

So all in all it could pretty much be anyone, barring any player who's already been mentioned on here!

Within budget suggests it's either a loan deal or a cheap deal for an ageing player. I can't see it being some wonderkid signing for a small fee because we all know young players with a lot of potential cost a lot these days and if it's some random unknown then why the big song and dance about it and nicko wouldn't think he is better than Zaki etc. I'm getting the impression it's someone who will be in the starting lineup for us, or at least the first team squad depending on what happens with our current strikers.

I'm edging towards an ageing striker who has something to prove with the world cup coming up or just want one final swansong in the premiership, someone like Ronaldo, Makaay, Rivaldo, Morientes, Larsson, Roger Milla, Fowler ;) - not one of those specific players as I'm sure most have been mentioned but someone in that kind of category, just throwing names out now but that's my bet, I know it's been mentioned Sam wants to lower the age of the squad but not at the expense of a deal too good to turn down.

The only problem is the Coyle link which keeps throwing me out, a youngster he may have looked at but if it's not a youngster we must be talking about a high quality player who Coyle thought he could get to come to the championship, unless Coyle was just that confident and planning ahead for promotion!!

Ronaldo, Makaay, Rivaldo, Morientes, Larsson, Roger Mellie, Fowler ;)

Ronaldo is signing for Real Madrid for £80m, I'm sure I saw that somewhere yesterday, I think we've missed the boat.

The other Ronaldo exploded on Tuesday whilst eating a kebab.

Roger Mellie?!? Too many TV commitments.

_193958_roger_mellie_150.gif

Larsson and Morientes have both scored in the Premier League, ruling them out I think (what were the rules again?).

According to Wikipedia, Rivaldo is now playing in Uzbekistan so I doubt he'd want to drop down a level to the EPL.

Makaay or Fowler? I doubt it looking at the state of them in this picture:

ronnie_porridge_1398550c.jpg

Is it Gerd Muller?

When I saw the title to this thread I thought what a load of rubbish...

...12 pages I'm well up for guessing too!

This guy isn't going to cost mooney - especially if it's a before Rocky goes deal.

Has the original Ronaldo suddenly lost weight and got fit? Trademark Allardyce rescue act

Has Adriano decided he wants to play football yet? Another trademark Allardyce rescue act

This is going to be a star that has lost his way and Sam is going to save him. Around 28 - 30. Out of contract or out of the team. Probably in some obscure league and off the radar.

Didn't nicko state that this fella has never scored in the Premier League though? I think Mr Ed has banged one or two in in his time.

Er anybody considered that this could be a Nicko wind up, after all the dingle baiting on here - it could be payback time.

Never entered my head that PAFELL - a freelance journalist making stories up? How very dare you...

Actually I believe him but it's all with a pinch of salt isn't it? It'll all come out in the wash.

Is it Mario Kempes?

Didn't nicko state that this fella has never scored in the Premier League though? I think Mr Ed has banged one or two in in his time.

I can't see where Nicko has stated that the mystery striker has not scored in the Prem....

Never entered my head that PAFELL - a freelance journalist making stories up? How very dare you...

Actually I believe him but it's all with a pinch of salt isn't it? It'll all come out in the wash.

Is it Mario Kempes?

Andy Kennedy?

Archived